Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Thursday requiring all Texans to wear masks "over the nose and mouth" in public spaces. It applies to counties with at least 20 confirmed COVID-19 cases and reverses the governor's previous policies.
"If Texans commit to wearing face coverings in public spaces and follow the best health and safety practices, we can both slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep Texas open for business," Abbott said in a statement.
Repeat offenders, after receiving a verbal or written warning for violating the mask requirement, may be fined up to $250. Local law enforcement and other local officials "can and should enforce" the mandate, according to the order.
The governor also granted mayors and county judges the ability to prohibit outdoor gatherings of more than 10 people.
Texas reportedly ranks sixth among states with the most rapid increase in cases per capita. Travis County surpassed 10,000 cases yesterday and is preparing the Austin Convention Center as a field hospital in case area hospitals are overwhelmed.
The governor's order provides some exceptions to the mask mandate, including:
- People who are under 10 years old or have a medical condition or disability that prevents them from wearing a mask.
- While eating, exercising outside, swimming, voting or driving alone or with a member of the same household.
This order represents a reversal for Abbott, who previously refused local jurisdictions the right to mandate masks and limit gatherings despite repeated pleas that he do so.
Earlier this week, Travis County Judge Sam Biscoe sent Abbott a letter asking the state to enforce mandatory masking, prohibit social gatherings of more than 10 people, roll back business occupancy and allow local officials to issue stay-home orders as needed.
"In summary, the rapid increase in cases has outstripped our ability to track, measure and mitigate the spread of disease," he wrote.
Austin Mayor Steve Adler, along with the mayors of eight other large Texas cities, also sent Abbott a letter, on June 16, asking for the authority to impose a mask requirement.
The next day, Abbott allowed local jurisdictions to require businesses to mandate masks among employees and customers.
This story is developing and has been updated.
- Austin will require masks at businesses - austonia ›
- Thousands petition HEB to require masks - austonia ›
- Salons, gyms on track to reopen; Abbott encourages masks, social ... ›
- Fabric face coverings will be 'longstanding requirement' in Austin ... ›
- University of Texas at Austin will require masks in campus buildings ... ›
- Austin mayor issues new orders amid COVID-19 surge - austonia ›
- Abbott: 'The worst is yet to come' in Texas COVID surge - austonia ›
- Abbott on COVID: 'The last step that would ever be taken is to lock Texans back down' - austonia ›
In a new real estate report looking at the most and least expensive cities to buy a house, Austin crumbled, falling near the bottom of the list and below every other Texas city mentioned.
- James Van Der Beek moves family to Texas from California - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan's new home is a $14 million mansion on Lake Austin ... ›
- Elijah Wood's Victorian Austin home goes on the market - austonia ›
With Thanksgiving a few days away, finding the perfect wine to serve during dinner can be time consuming for anyone. Whether you are looking for a full-bodied red to serve during your dinner, or a rich white wine to pair with appetizers and desserts, Texas wines have so much to offer.
2018 Haak Vineyards Ensaio BDB dry, $19<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjE4MS9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNDk2MTA4OH0.SVj7i9eqim_LGO_VAJ_vN7HCQtq-rzox9hKN2jj3Dq8/img.png?width=980" id="d9dc8" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="8574b90092484c3d2a449b099cf786c6" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2019 Calais Winery Cuvee du Rocher Reserve, $36<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjE4NC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY2NDQyOTc3Nn0.nVPN96n7-rY25Qu_rAQ7Lk6VIVQ4ARP-Kwer9M0Zeyo/img.png?width=980" id="57521" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="1e9b4e2372d95616ccdfbf35a6e274af" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2018 Brennan Vineyards Roussanne, $18<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjE5MS9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1MDI5ODY5M30.xOENqjjewnhqYk7D86MjNzCijANZg3Qmddhhjwaq9NI/img.png?width=980" id="6da4a" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="8ba7caadc009a601a307dfa5f14dc226" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2018 Duchman Family Winery Vermentino, $26<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjE5OC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNzI0MDAyMH0.Kv_5KtI6sG0kssHcoqEICRWjRpgVhi6LZuvZB8rn4Uw/img.png?width=980" id="218d1" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="7a541b69cff9368723172f7211fa3ac1" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
Duchman Winery<p>With so many new normals in 2020, you might want to switch up your Thanksgiving dinner by adding some seafood options. If you are looking for a wine pairing to suit your needs or to add flavor to any herb-filled dish, try this award winning vermentino. You can learn more about this wine at <a href="https://www.duchmanwinery.com/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">duchmanwinery.com</a>.</p>
2019 Landon Winery Viognier, $20<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIwMS9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNDAzNjA4Nn0.ai8nCQ4HtVt2p7XT57kOBXenNI6lRWXNdBfhX9yqusA/img.png?width=980" id="aaa2e" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="2d6b206fa7ac7f45ae818e3fdc847262" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2017 Bending Branch Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, $50<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIwNC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1OTU1MTA3OH0.DVeBrH8kkdWqGOcoltQZc83LLPEZrZTfVOSXsGVteas/img.png?width=980" id="7d84d" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="70cc366c0eb003396eb22cf8b159042f" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2017 Pedernales Cellars TX Malbec, $40<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIxMC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY2MjA4NjA0NH0.fQJ0amoXIjUsuDuLr7iX7Kgd1URmVEFQ4Zd8Q9HP0E0/img.png?width=980" id="75161" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="b1bbef5a3d4fe105689b4ddb5d71801a" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2017 Kuhlman Cellars Zinfandel, $34<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIxMi9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyNTE3Nzg1OX0.t94GOwH-fUpKDnp9Bgbz8k3LJXdShqnwvn1ZFA_20VA/img.png?width=980" id="5c629" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="0c51053776822e0f5cfd4580994d1025" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2013 Bending Branch Winery Tannat EM, $45<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIxNS9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyODMzNjc4MH0.PAL89dldrpFHFD4NINkRsfij4wAFAxGVix819jnEdWM/img.png?width=980" id="8e874" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="3c055c6444d0819b76911151f7199655" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
Bending Branch Winery<p>Amplify the rich taste of any holiday meal with this Texas tannat. Your savory dinner options, such as roasted meats and salty entrees, will happily pair with the acidity and notes of cola, spearmint, cedar and violets with this tannat. You can learn more about this wine at <a href="https://www.bendingbranchwinery.com/" target="_blank">bendingbranchwinery.com</a>.</p>
2017 Kuhlman Cellars Reserve Merlot, $38<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIyMy9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyMTQ1MTkzOH0.0xAByeUklURkGx2z2EMbHkyvsrEKMEBi2gu8s3tjEeo/img.png?width=980" id="09a08" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="c35faec57e42af9bf9d76ae847660186" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
- Hope to enjoy Thanksgiving? Then skip Halloween in Austin ... ›
- Here is where you can order your Thanksgiving meal package ... ›
- 5 new breweries and more in Austin - austonia ›
- 4 Austin optimists opening new businesses in the pandemic - austonia ›
Austin’s immigrant advocates are optimistic about a Biden administration—but experts caution patience
Local immigration advocates expect that, very soon after President-elect Joe Biden is inaugurated on Jan. 20, he will begin overturning federal policies implemented during the Trump administration. And then they expect demand for immigrant legal services in Austin to jump.
- Austin braces for election-week unrest - austonia ›
- International students at Texas universities can't return - austonia ›
- Political organization reaches an all-time high in Austin's Asian ... ›
- Protest recap: Austinites rally after election results - austonia ›
- UT professors chosen for Joe Biden's transition team - austonia ›
Local health officials repeated their request that Austinites not gather this Thanksgiving and recommended that Travis County schools return to virtual learning in the week after the holiday in an attempt to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
- How risky are your holiday plans this year? - austonia ›
- Austin's homeless shelters weather the holidays—and COVID ... ›
- Everything we know about COVID-19 in Austin right now - austonia ›
- Austin-Travis County returns to Stage 4 as COVID cases surge ... ›
- Austin sees COVID cases increase ahead of Thanksgiving - austonia ›
Williamson County Judge Bill Gravell reportedly violated his own stay-at-home order by attending a family birthday party in the spring.
The CEO of Dropbox, one of the most popular cloud storage services, is planning a move to Austin.
A 'brutal winter' ahead: Austin restaurateurs say new COVID recommendations will further deter business
When local officials recommended businesses limit their capacity beyond state requirements due to the current surge in COVID cases, restaurateur Eric Silverstein was discouraged.
- Austin bar closures also close some dining establishments - austonia ›
- Restaurant capacity expands to 75% in Austin - austonia ›
- Austin restaurants and businesses struggle due to COVID-19 ... ›
- Many Austin restaurants can't afford reduced capacity - austonia ›
- Everything we know about COVID-19 in Austin right now - austonia ›