Though the Travis County Sheriff's Office took a number of steps to prevent the likely eventual appearance of COVID-19 in its detention facilities, two employees at the correctional complex in Del Valle and one administrative support employee had tested positive as of Monday.
On Friday, after the first jail employee was diagnosed, the TCSO released a statement adding:
"It has been determined that the officer followed agency guidelines by wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing. The officer also had very limited interaction with staff and inmates. TCSO's Director of Inmate Medical Services contacted Austin Public Health to get their guidance for next steps. APH advised that the steps being taken at TCSO jail facilities are still sound, and because the officer's interaction was so limited, there is no need to make protocol changes at this time."
Sixteen inmates had been tested for COVID-19 as of Monday, officials said. Fourteen tests were negative and the results of two are still pending.
A handful of lawsuits accusing InfoWars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones of defamation against Sandy Hook victims will be allowed to move forward, despite Jones's attempts to squash them, The Texas Supreme Court ruled Friday.
- New Austinite Joe Rogan visits the Governor's Mansion - austonia ›
- EXCLUSIVE: Joe Rogan teases new Texas podcast studio; locals ... ›
- Alex Jones goes viral yelling at lifeguards at greenbelt entrance ... ›
With an extremely limited vaccine supply, Austin Public Health is now focusing its distribution events on individuals who are 65 years of age or older, public health officials said Friday.
"We have more than 129,000 of (people in this category)," APH Director Stephanie Hayden-Howard said Friday, adding Austin residents who do not fall into this demographic group to be patient.
- Austin COVID curve is flattening but vaccines remain limited - austonia ›
- Austin healthcare offering COVID-19 vaccine waitlists - austonia ›
- Austin Public Health debuts COVID vaccine sign-up list - austonia ›
- Austin Public Health to receive 12,000 doses of COVID vaccine ... ›
- Austin Public Health prepares for COVID vaccine distribution ... ›