Welcome to Austonia!
We launched in April 2020 to bring a new, authentic Austin voice to our city.
Austonia is locally-owned, created to serve the Austin community and connect it with our great local brands, like our founding sponsor, Tito's Handmade Vodka. We're one of a handful of truly local Austin media, not part of an out-of-town media conglomerate like so many others.
Our mission is to help you get connected to Austin.
You'll notice a few things different about us:
- 100% Austin stories and sponsors. If it's not about Austin, we don't cover it.
- Free, no paywalls, available-to-everyone.
- An approach that respects your time—we curate the stories we think you'll like most, and our stories are shorter and more-focused.
- We're fellow travelers—here to do the research you would do if you had the time. We don't pretend to have all the answers.
- Non-partisan, non-ideological, and respectful of all people.
Give us a read, tell your friends, and let us know what you think.
Mark Dewey, Publisher (email@example.com)
Austin’s iconic Nau’s Enfield Drug hopes see to the business return to its heyday amid pandemic woes
First dates over frosty milkshakes. Family outings for juicy hamburgers.
Nau's Enfield Drug, which opened in 1951, has been a lot of things to a lot of people over its long history in Austin.
The Texas Department of State Health Services will allocate 332,750 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to 212 providers this week, with the bulk assigned to hub providers that are focused on widespread community distribution events. Six of those providers are in Travis County.
With the latest allocation of 16,450 sent to Travis County this week, the county will have received 104,275 doses of the vaccine. Local public health officials estimate that there are 285,000 area residents who fall in the 1A and 1B priority groups, meaning that around 37% of them should have access to doses seven weeks into the rollout process.
Here's where the latest allotment is going:
- UT professor played role in Pfizer and Moderna's COVID vaccines ... ›
- A 'handful' of ineligible people got the COVID vaccine in Austin ... ›
- Austin Public Health prepares for COVID vaccine distribution ... ›
- Texas widens COVID vaccine access, but Austin doses are limited ... ›
- Austin healthcare offering COVID-19 vaccine waitlists - austonia ›