Former University of Texas linebacker Emmanuel Acho was named "Biggest Media Acquisition of the Year" this week by The Big Lead, a national sports blog. The award came after Acho was recruited by Fox Sports as co-host for the show "Speak for Yourself."
Humbled to be named the biggest media acquisition of the year, & shoutout to @FOXSports for acquiring me. Fortune… https://t.co/nS9OlqBLSa— Emmanuel Acho (@Emmanuel Acho) 1607373202.0
As a 6-foot-1, 238-pound outside linebacker, Acho played for UT for four years before graduating with a degree in sports management. Now 30, he also spent three seasons in the National Football League, playing for Cleveland in 2012 and Philadelphia in 2013-2014. In 2016, he began working as a sports analyst for the Longhorn Network.
Emmanuel Acho's fame has grown with the publication of "Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man," based on a series of YouTube videos in which he addressed racial issues in America. His book sold 18,000 copies on the first day it became available.
The Big Lead likened Acho not to the next Cris Collinsworth, but the next Oprah, saying Acho was out to make his own path in the world.
"His career will not follow an existing trajectory. It will stake his own path," The Big Lead wrote. "Whether that morphs into a Michael Strahan-like Swiss army knife role or the accumulation of, like, six different jobs, no one knows. It's not too early, though, to know it was a savvy move (by Fox) to bring him under the tent."
- Acho says University of Texas should address racist past - austonia ›
- McConaughey talks to former Longhorn Emmanuel Acho - austonia ›
- The Oprah Conversation has Emmanuel Acho's 'uncomfortable ... ›
- Steve Sarkisian officially announced as new head coach of Longhorns - austonia ›
- Steve Sarkisian officially announced as head coach of Longhorns - austonia ›
- Former UT diver Alison Gibson competing at Tokyo Olympics - austonia ›
- Going for gold: 20 athletes with Austin ties are heading to the 2021 Tokyo Olympics - austonia ›
- Pancake Factory to offer $50K to Longhorn lineman using name, image and likeness for charity - austonia ›
The Texas French Bread Bakery, located on 2900 Rio Grande Street, has been completely destroyed after a fire erupted on Monday night.
The Austin Fire Department responded to the fire just before 11 p.m., where they arrived to see flames coming from the roof of the bakery. Firefighters fought the fire for about an hour before the roof collapsed.
While no one was injured in the fire, firefighters say the historic building was completely totaled.
Texas French Bread just went up in flames pic.twitter.com/agXqKN3c00
— Jordan (@AimIessFriend) January 25, 2022
AFD determined that the fire was accidental and caused by mechanical failure. AFD said the damages amounted to $1.6 million total: $1.1 million in structural damage and $500,000 in damage to the contents of the bakery.
This year, Texas French Bread will celebrate 40 years of business. Before the bakery occupied the building, it was the Rome Inn, a music venue that hosted 1970s artists like Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Austin's first major league team is ready to extend its reach with a new collaborative sports complex The Pitch, an Austin FC destination packed with local food, beverages and Verde fervor is set to open in Northeast Austin in February.
The Pitch, a collaboration between Austin FC and Karlin Real Estate, among other entities, will be located in the 50-acre Parmer Pond District, which already hosts the club's practice facility St. David's Performance Center.
Dubbed a "true destination" for both soccer fans and the community, The Pitch will consist of multilevel shipping containers designed by Mark Odom Studio that will carve out into a 1,200-seat stadium complete with a soccer pitch made of turf, food and beverage options and a five-acre "Parmer Pond" featuring jogging trails.
Made from multilevel shipping containers, The Pitch will include food and a 1,200-seat soccer pitch made from artificial turf. (The Pitch)
“The launch of Karlin’s new food and entertainment experience will greatly enhance the Parmer development while perfectly complimenting St. David’s Performance Center,” Austin FC founder Anthony Precourt said. "The Pitch... will offer a strong variety of food options and gathering spaces for guests who will utilize St. David’s Performance Center and Parmer Field for a variety of events.”
The Pitch project lead Dave Greeley, who helped come up with the concept, is a former president of Austin FC parent company, Two Oak Ventures.
“The vision behind The Pitch at the Parmer Pond District is to be a first-of-its-kind sports, dining and entertainment destination,” said Dave Greeley, The Pitch project lead and Team Orbis president. “This will be an unmatched experience for Parmer Austin tenants, Austin FC and club supporters, and the community."
With its proximity to the practice center, the venture hopes to contribute to the growing "soccer city" of Austin during Austin FC matches and youth games with the Austin FC Academy hosted at the St. David's Performance Center.
The Pitch hopes to converge both community and club interests with Austin FC. (The Pitch)
In addition to the soccer pitch, stadium and pond, The Pitch will provide a foody experience made by the creative team behind Austin staples like Fareground and Easy Tiger. The complex will offer local bites including:
- Ranger Burger, which offers beers and burgers made from highly-coveted Wagyu beef direct from Ranger Cattle in East Austin
- Ga Roti, which merges flavors from Northern Vietnam with the culinary techniques of France to create a unique rotisserie chicken joint
- Taco Flats, a local taco chain serving Mexico City-style tacos, micheladas and more
- Sand Bar, which fulfills its namesake with beauty cocktails, local beers and a sand volleyball court
- Coffee Club, a coffee shop and bakery
- Corner Kick Bar, the soccer-focused main bar of The Pitch complete with "tunes, TVs and (a) beer garden"
- 12 Austin FC fans get inked up in tattoo marathon - austonia ›
- Austin-based C4 is Austin FC's first Official Energy Drink - austonia ›
- Austin FC announces partnership with Austin Eastciders - austonia ›
- Austin FC's Q2 Stadium is the biggest party in Austin - austonia ›
- Austonia reviews local eats and treats at Q2 Stadium - austonia ›
- Austin FC names new stadium 'Q2 Stadium' in partnership with local ... ›
- Austonia tours Austin FC's brand-new Q2 Stadium - austonia ›
- Here's all the local eats Austin FC is bringing to Q2 Stadium - austonia ›