Austin ISD students have returned to the classroom for the first time since the pandemic closed down schools in March. The in-person classes, which some teachers fought against, are being taught according to a hybrid model that blends 25% on-campus capacity with virtual learning.
Here's a look at what school looked like on Tuesday of the first week.
Longtime school principal Katie Achtermann checks in students for the second day of in-person classes at Barton Hills Elementary in South Austin. All students temperatures are checked on arrival, and face coverings are required to enter the building.
Under the careful watch of first grade teacher Nicole Miller, and with plenty of PPE ready, in-person learning takes off during the second day of classes at Campbell Elementary. The AISD school is using a combination of remote and in-person learning amid the pandemic.
In-person learning is optional for AISD families. The district is phasing in students to on-campus learning, starting with the youngest grades at each school.
Kindergarten classes have yet to lose any of their spunk as most kids are glad to be back in the classroom.
Seasoned teacher Clarissa Hobbs is back in the classroom to teach her students. AISD experienced a drop in enrollment as parents opted out of in-person school, possibly opting into learning pods, homeschooling or private school.
Student Amarin Mervin follows Ms. Hobbs' instructions to show his work to his classmates on screen. It's a learning experience that's new for everyone.
- Austin IAS considers 'blended learning' this fall - austonia ›
- Hundreds of Austin ISD teachers reportedly pledge to not attend in ... ›
- Austin ISD should delay school or risk 40-1,000 deaths - austonia ›
- Austin ISD enrollment decline may lead to layoffs amid COVID ... ›
- Austin ISD considers delaying first day of school - austonia ›
- Austin, Texas students failing school with at-home learning - austonia ›
- Austin ISD prepares to expand in-person learning to all students - austonia ›
The roar of Austin FC fans will be heard soon, as the newest Major League Soccer member looks to kick off their season in a brand new stadium in 2021.
- CapMetro targets Austin FC fans about Project Connect stop - austonia ›
- Austin FC's 2021 debut season shines as bright spot for fans ... ›
- Austin FC fans to host Matthew McConaughey in memers-only Q n A ... ›
- Austin FC installs stadium seats, stadium opening in spring - austonia ›
- austin-fc - austonia ›
- 1 1/2 oz Tito's Handmade Vodka
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz pomegranate juice
- 1 maraschino cherry
You've seen and heard messaging from the city, transit opponents, and the big money PACs. You've probably read Emma Freer's in-depth, multi-part series, a fact-based exploration of Project Connect—and the tax rate election proposal, known as Proposition A, that would fund it—from multiple perspectives.
Chances are, if you moved to Austin in the past two years, it was probably for a tech job.
- Bay area tech workers eye moving to Austin post-pandemic - austonia ›
- Google delays returning to Austin offices as COVID-19 spikes ... ›
- Tech company Auctane signs lease at new Austin development ... ›
With films like Coco streaming on Disney+ and Day of the Dead Barbies lining Walmart shelves, it is clear that the commercial aspects of Dia de los Muertos are alive and well.
(Chris Caselli/Mexic-Arte Museum)
- 9 Austin business serving Halloween-inspired treats - austonia ›
- CDC guidelines for holidays in 2020 - austonia ›
- Zilker Park Holiday Tree installed, park closes for trail of lights ... ›
Today is going to be a windy one, according to The National Weather Service, which predicted breezy conditions in the Austin area and South Central Texas.
- Saharan dust storm expected to reach Texas this week - austonia ›
- For lovers of all things autumn: - austonia ›
- Hurricane Hanna brings flooding, power outages to southern Texas ... ›
In round figures the 18 active candidates running for the five seats on the Austin City Council raised a quarter-million dollars just in the last few weeks alone and they spent more than a half-million dollars during the same period. Total fundraising to date is nearly $1.2 million.