Your daily dose of Austin
Smartphone image
×
Make your inbox more Austin.
Local news and fun, every day 6am.
Travis Scott, Drake hit with Austin lawsuit after deadly Astroworld Fest

Travis Scott says he is cooperating with authorities after the event left eight dead. (Astroworld/Twitter)

Astroworld Festival organizers and rappers Travis Scott and Drake are being sued after the event left eight dead and hundreds injured on Friday night.

Texas attorney Thomas J. Henry filed a lawsuit on Sunday naming Scott, whose real name is Jacques Bermon Webster; Drake, whose real name is Aubrey Drake Graham, Live Nation and NRG stadium.


That suit is being filed on behalf of 23-year-old Austinite Kristian Paredes, according to a report from The Daily Mail. The complaint is seeking more than $1 million in damages after Paredes alleged that Drake's appearance during Scott's set "incited the crowd," leaving him injured.

The suit alleges that the crowd became "out of control" when Drake joined Scott on stage. It follows the first lawsuit, which was filed less than 24 hours after the tragedy by Houston law firm, Kherkher Garcia Law Firm, representing a 35-year-old concertgoer. Since then various others have surfaced.

Those at the third-annual festival told horrific tales of unconscious bodies falling on top of one another, screams for help and teenagers desperately performing CPR on passed-out concertgoers. The eight victims ranged from ages 14-27 and Houston Police Chief Troy Finner reportedly expressed concerns over the crowd to Scott himself before the show began.

Videos of the event show that Scott and Drake continued to perform as emergency services arrived on scene and some called for the show to stop, which is noted in the lawsuit—people in the crowd jumped on ambulances to dance as the vehicle struggled to make it through the dense crowd.

"Live musical performances are meant to inspire catharsis, not tragedy," Henry said in a press release. "Many of these concert-goers were looking forward to this event for months, and they deserved a safe environment in which to have fun and enjoy the evening. Instead, their night was one of fear, injury, and death."

The tragic news comes just weeks after Austin City Limits Festival wrapped up its two-week takeover of Zilker Park. Austin Mayor Steve Adler said city leaders are taking the news into consideration for future large events, like ACL and upcoming SXSW, to make sure nothing like that happens here.

"We're going to take a look at this immediately to see what we can learn, to go to school on that to make sure it doesn't happen here," Adler said.

This is not Scott's first rodeo with rowdy, oftentimes dangerous crowds. At Astroworld in 2019, a stampede broke out and left three people injured. Scott was also reportedly arrested for inciting the crowd to rush the stage at a 2017 show in Arkansas.

Popular

UPDATE: Austin Dollar Tree employees tell Austonia of heat, mistreatment in wake of viral TikTok

The Montopolis Dollar tree, run by one employee, closed earlier this month only after an AC specialist said it was unsafe. (Claire Partain)

It's been a few weeks since a viral TikTok revealed poor working conditions at the Montopolis Dollar Tree in southeast Austin, and employee Maggie Lopez is still feeling its effects.

Keep ReadingShow less
Environmental groups call on city to hold off on approving further development at Tesla gigafactory
(Tesla)

A group of environmentalists and other activist groups are calling on the city to withhold permits Tesla has requested, including for a battery cathode facility by the company’s headquarters near the Colorado River.

Keep ReadingShow less