The polar vortex led to icy Austin roadways—and traffic collisions—Thursday morning.
Austin-Travis County EMS and Austin Fire first reported a 26-car pileup on North State Highway 45, near Parmer Lane, around 8:20 a.m. EMS reports 32 people were involved in the accident with at least one serious injury and four people transported from the scene to St. David's Hospital in Round Rock.
26 car pileup at FM620 and SH 45. These are the cars that remain. #atx #kxan pic.twitter.com/pARPXf4vRr
— Nick Bannin (@nickbannin) February 11, 2021
Drivers are encouraged to avoid the area.
Texas Department of Transportation crews are treating major roads and bridges but some ice is still forming, with trouble spots mostly clustered north and west of Austin.
The latest snapshot from https://t.co/FA8rsTh6VJ. Trouble spots are mainly north and west of Austin. Crews are treating, but please slow down and prepare for slick roadways. #TxDOTwx #BeSafeDriveSmart #KnowBeforeYouGo #EndTheStreakTX pic.twitter.com/c7D77l3Pfy
— TxDOT Austin (@TxDOTAustin) February 11, 2021
Austin drivers are not the only ones facing winter weather conditions. At least five were confirmed dead and dozens more injured after a 75-plus vehicle pileup left drivers trapped on I-35 just north of downtown Fort Worth Thursday morning, according to NBC DFW.
- Traffic deaths caused by COVID opening roads to speeding - austonia ›
- Austin traffic deaths increase despite progress elsewhere - austonia ›
- It's snowing! Here's what that looks like in Austin - austonia ›
- Winter Storm Warning: vaccine appointments canceled, power outages and shelters open - austonia ›
- Breaking: H-E-B closes all Central Texas stores due to storm - austonia ›
The Texas French Bread Bakery, located on 2900 Rio Grande Street, has been completely destroyed after a fire erupted on Monday night.
The Austin Fire Department responded to the fire just before 11 p.m., where they arrived to see flames coming from the roof of the bakery. Firefighters fought the fire for about an hour before the roof collapsed.
While no one was injured in the fire, firefighters say the iconic building was completely totaled.
Texas French Bread just went up in flames pic.twitter.com/agXqKN3c00
— Jordan (@AimIessFriend) January 25, 2022
It is still not known what caused the fire at this time, though AFD said arson investigators have been brought in to check every angle. Due to the amount of damage, fire crews said it may not be possible to find the exact cause.
This year, Texas French Bread will celebrate 40 years of business. Before the bakery occupied the building, it was the Rome Inn, a music venue that hosted 1970s artists like Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Austin's first major league team is ready to extend its reach with a new collaborative sports complex The Pitch, an Austin FC destination packed with local food, beverages and Verde fervor is set to open in Northeast Austin in February.
The Pitch, a collaboration between Austin FC and Karlin Real Estate, among other entities, will be located in the 50-acre Parmer Pond District, which already hosts the club's practice facility St. David's Performance Center.
Dubbed a "true destination" for both soccer fans and the community, The Pitch will consist of multilevel shipping containers designed by Mark Odom Studio that will carve out into a 1,200-seat stadium complete with a soccer pitch made of turf, food and beverage options and a five-acre "Parmer Pond" featuring jogging trails.
Made from multilevel shipping containers, The Pitch will include food and a 1,200-seat soccer pitch made from artificial turf. (The Pitch)
“The launch of Karlin’s new food and entertainment experience will greatly enhance the Parmer development while perfectly complimenting St. David’s Performance Center,” Austin FC founder Anthony Precourt said. "The Pitch... will offer a strong variety of food options and gathering spaces for guests who will utilize St. David’s Performance Center and Parmer Field for a variety of events.”
The Pitch project lead Dave Greeley, who helped come up with the concept, is a former president of Austin FC parent company, Two Oak Ventures.
“The vision behind The Pitch at the Parmer Pond District is to be a first-of-its-kind sports, dining and entertainment destination,” said Dave Greeley, The Pitch project lead and Team Orbis president. “This will be an unmatched experience for Parmer Austin tenants, Austin FC and club supporters, and the community."
With its proximity to the practice center, the venture hopes to contribute to the growing "soccer city" of Austin during Austin FC matches and youth games with the Austin FC Academy hosted at the St. David's Performance Center.
The Pitch hopes to converge both community and club interests with Austin FC. (The Pitch)
In addition to the soccer pitch, stadium and pond, The Pitch will provide a foody experience made by the creative team behind Austin staples like Fareground and Easy Tiger. The complex will offer local bites including:
- Ranger Burger, which offers beers and burgers made from highly-coveted Wagyu beef direct from Ranger Cattle in East Austin
- Ga Roti, which merges flavors from Northern Vietnam with the culinary techniques of France to create a unique rotisserie chicken joint
- Taco Flats, a local taco chain serving Mexico City-style tacos, micheladas and more
- Sand Bar, which fulfills its namesake with beauty cocktails, local beers and a sand volleyball court
- Coffee Club, a coffee shop and bakery
- Corner Kick Bar, the soccer-focused main bar of The Pitch complete with "tunes, TVs and (a) beer garden"
- 12 Austin FC fans get inked up in tattoo marathon - austonia ›
- Austin-based C4 is Austin FC's first Official Energy Drink - austonia ›
- Austin FC announces partnership with Austin Eastciders - austonia ›
- Austin FC's Q2 Stadium is the biggest party in Austin - austonia ›
- Austonia reviews local eats and treats at Q2 Stadium - austonia ›
- Austin FC names new stadium 'Q2 Stadium' in partnership with local ... ›
- Austonia tours Austin FC's brand-new Q2 Stadium - austonia ›
- Here's all the local eats Austin FC is bringing to Q2 Stadium - austonia ›