Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is reaching and surpassing pre-pandemic traffic levels, making Memorial Day weekend and the first weekend of June the busiest since the pandemic started.
Some 7,500 passengers traveled through the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on Friday morning alone, compared to a pre-pandemic norm of 5,000, according to the Transporation Security Administration. And on Monday, 25,000 passed through the airport, setting the record since the pandemic.
Lexie Wille, 27, flew out of Austin on Saturday morning after a stressful check-in process. Upon arriving at ABIA she ran into a friend who later tipped her off to a security checkpoint with no pre-check line. She exited and reentered the terminal at a different entrance to get to the other line because "you literally couldn't walk inside the airport (it was so crowded)," she said. Once in the pre-check line, she overheard a woman say she had missed her flight to her honeymoon on Friday and was trying again.
The marked increase in passenger volume has led to hours-long wait times at both ticket counters and security checkpoints. Delays are most acute in the mornings, with peak times for TSA security lines between 5 and 7 a.m., and ABIA strongly recommends that travelers whose flights depart before 8 a.m. arrive at the airport at least three hours early.
The summer travel season is expected to be busy as more are vaccinated and are making up for an uneventful last summer.
ABIA also advises travelers with morning flights that depart after 8 a.m. to avoid arriving too early—any more than two hours—to avoid worsening congestion during peak times.
- Bomb threat at austin airport on busy travel day - austonia ›
- Austin's weekend tourism is back, but full recovery is years away ... ›
- Austin Bergstrom flights delayed - austonia ›
- Texas ranks second best for road trips this summer - austonia ›
- Americans thriving in June after a year of pandemic life - austonia ›
- Austin airport will close South Terminal as part of expansion - austonia ›
- Spirit turbulence reaches Austin-Bergstrom Airport as airline continues flight cancellation frenzy - austonia ›
- Complete guide to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport - austonia ›
- Southwest Airlines adds 9 nonstop flights to Austin airport - austonia ›
- July was Austin-Bergstrom airport's fifth-busiest month ever amid summer travel frenzy - austonia ›
- British Airways resuming flights from Austin to London after 17 months - austonia ›
- JSX, private jet, kicks off first hop-on flights from Austin - austonia ›
- ACL goers, weekend travelers stranded in Austin after sweeping Southwest Airlines cancellations - austonia ›
- Families from around the world reunite in Austin after 18-month travel ban - austonia ›
- Airport expecting busiest Thanksgiving travel season to date - austonia ›
- Austin Airport has busiest Thanksgiving holiday travel week - austonia ›
- 2,500+ flights canceled as Austin, nation grapples with omicron - austonia ›
- Traveling Austinites stranded in wintry weather as Austin airport sees 50+ flight cancellations - austonia ›
- Virgin Atlantic offering new nonstop to London from Austin - austonia ›
- New changes coming to the Austin Airport in 2022 - austonia ›
- Austin-Bergstrom announces two new American flights to beach destinations - austonia ›
- Traffic plans as Austin airport expects 20M people this year - austonia ›
- Rental cars abandoned lead to hours-long traffic jam at ABIA - austonia ›
- 9,000 travelers passed through TSA, one shared his experience - austonia ›
- 9,000 travelers at Austin airport traffic jam, 1 shared his experience - austonia ›
- Summer vacay: 11 destinations with nonstop flights from Austin - austonia ›
- Guide to Port Aransas beach - austonia ›
Show your love for Tito's and for the community this year with a wide selection of not that ugly, uglyish, ugly, uglier, and ugliest holiday sweaters.
There's lots choose from, and plenty of accessories like scarves and socks, plus gear for your dog, too.
All of the items can be purchased online or at the Love, Tito’s Retail Store in Austin, TX. 100% of all net proceeds from online or in-store purchases go to one of the nonprofits we’ve teamed up with.
🗓 All weekend
Check out this highly anticipated art exhibition with illuminated art along Waller Creek. Tickets are free and the event includes food vendors, dazzling lights, live music, and hands-on activities
All weekend 6 p.m - 10 p.m | 📍Waterloo Park
This iconic holiday tradition lights up for the first time this holiday season starting this weekend! Reserve your spot for an enchanting light and sound performance, delicious hot cocoa, sweet treats, and some overall fun with your friends or family. The show runs till January 6th.
6 p.m and 9 p.m | 📍Mozart's Coffee Roasters - 3825 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
This fitness event is free and open to the public. Get your morning started right with a "Fitness in the park" class for kickboxing! The class will be led by certified instructors and is a great way to get a cardio workout in while also honing your self-defense skills.
10 a.m - 11 a.m | 📍 Metz Park
Support local LBGTQ+ and female artists at this outdoor market with over 150 vendors. Get your holiday shopping out of the way at this event, with vendors for food trucks, handmade goods, raffles, hands on workshops and activities, and more.
Did someone say cheese?! If you're like me and always willing to get your hands on a bowl of mac and cheese, then this event is for you. Check out the Mac and Cheese festival happening this weekend to decide which vendor has. the best mac and cheese for yourself, and enjoy the bar with creative cocktails while you're at it. Tickets start at $45.
11 a.m - 3 p.m | 📍Lantana Place - 7415 Southwest Parkway