The Black Pumas brought soul to President Joe Biden's and Vice President Kamala Harris' inauguration special, "Celebrate America," on Wednesday evening.
The breakout duo performed "Colors" off their 2019 debut album, "Black Pumas," in front of the classic Austin City Limits skyline backdrop at ACL Live at the Moody Theater in their hometown.
The band is made up of vocalist Eric Burton and Grammy-winning guitarist and producer Adrian Quesada.
The Black Pumas were nominated for several Grammys in 2021 including Best American Roots Performance ("Colors"), Record of the Year ("Colors") and Album of the Year (Black Pumas (Deluxe Edition)). They were previously nominated for the coveted Best New Artist Grammy award in 2020, alongside Lil Nas X, Lizzo, Maggie Rogers, Rosalia, Tank and The Bangas, and Yola.
During the Jan. 20 performance, people from all over the country chimed in on social media to show the Black Pumas some love.
This band in Austin, though? The Black Pumas? Pure 🔥🔥🔥 #Inauguration— Karah Leigh (@Karah Leigh) 1611194764.0
As if Tom Hanks can't heal the world enough, man, The Black Pumas from Austin TX. Big hugs everyone. #CelebratingAmerica— The Birk 🎼 (@The Birk 🎼) 1611230592.0
Black Pumas repped Austin well tonight ♥️— ⭐️Noelle💫 (@⭐️Noelle💫) 1611196381.0
The duo took to their own social media account later in the evening to acknowledge all their new followers and poke a little fun at their own performance with the iconic Bernie Sanders meme.
🤣🤣🤣 loved seeing so many people discover us last night! Thanks for the laugh @merrickales! https://t.co/iKsHPuvOeu— Black Pumas (@Black Pumas) 1611247437.0
- Austin's Black Pumas claim 3 Grammy nominations ›
- Black Pumas bring Austin music to the VP inaugural fundraising roster ›
- Black Pumas to perform at Joe Biden's inauguration - austonia ›
- The Go-Go's bassist celebrates Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nomination from Austin - austonia ›
- Ever Given tanker ship in suez canal in memes in Austin, TX - austonia ›
- Black Pumas' Eric Burton starring in Austin film 'Devexity' - austonia ›
- Willie Nelson, Black Pumas among six artists with Austin ties nominated for Grammy awards - austonia ›
- Musician pushes the boundaries of making it in the music industry - austonia ›
Giga Texas, the massive Tesla factory in southeast Travis County is getting even bigger.
The company filed with the city of Austin this week to expand its headquarters with a new 500,000-square-foot building. The permit application notes “GA 2 and 3 expansion,” which indicates the company will make two general assembly lines in the building.
More details about the plans for the building are unclear. The gigafactory has been focused on Model Y production since it opened in April, but the company is also aiming for Cybertruck production to kick off in mid-2023.
While there is room for expansion on the 3.3 square miles of land Tesla has, this move comes after CEO Elon Musk’s recent comments about the state of the economy and its impact on Tesla.
In a May interview with Tesla Owners Silicon Valley, Musk said the gigafactories in Berlin and Austin are “gigantic money furnaces” and said Giga Texas had manufactured only a small number of cars.
And in June, Musk sent a company wide email saying Tesla will be reducing salaried headcount by 10%, then later tweeted salaried headcount should be fairly flat.
- Grand opening of Giga Texas faces push back from the community ... ›
- Giga Texas may start production of Model Y's this week - austonia ›
- Tesla hosts Cyber Rodeo grand opening party for Giga Texas ... ›
- Musk: Recently opened Giga Texas is a gigantic money furnace ... ›
- Elon Musk is spotted driving a Cybertruck through Giga Texas ... ›
- PHOTOS: Peek inside the Tesla Gigafactory producing Model Ys in ... ›
- Cyber Rodeo: what we know about the Giga Texas opening party ... ›
- Excitement over Giga Texas grand opening continues at Tesla Con ›
- Tesla's mileage range on new Model Y lowers - austonia ›
You’ll have to leave city limits if you’re looking for a proper ranch property like 417 Acres Shipp Lake Ranch, aptly named for its acreage. The property comes built out with three farmhouses, one of which has bedrooms and two bathrooms and two of which have two bedrooms and one bathroom. The nearly untouched property, which surrounds the 100-plus-acre Shipp Lake, has remained in the same family since the early 1900s and gives you picturesque views for the making of a dream home. In fact, the previous owners ran a water ski camp on the property.
Sitting waterside on Lake Austin, this home gives you the unique opportunity to own a piece of the lush Hill Country with views of Mount Bonnell. The 2,750-square foot, three-bedroom, four-bathroom house allows you to integrate indoor and outdoor life with large windows opening to an outdoor living area. The crown jewel is the .76-acre parcel of land that tapers off to your own lakeside resort, featuring an covered outdoor kitchen, fire pit, stone boat house to store your water sports supplies and veranda sitting at the mouth of the water, perfect for an entertainer.
Got dreams of becoming a real Texas rancher? 7814 Brown Cemetery Rd. is the perfect place to start with 40 rolling acres of land and its very own swimming hole. Just east of Austin in Manor, the modest-on-the-outside home clocks at 4,412 square feet with five bedrooms and five-and-a-half bathrooms, but there are an additional two living structures on the property. The horseshoe-shaped pond sits in the heart of the property and comes equipped with a water slide, diving board and a fishing dock.