Half of Austin City Council's 10 seats—Districts 2, 4, 6, 7 and 10—are up for election this November, and after Monday's filing deadline, 20 candidates will be competing for a spot on the (virtual) dais.
Elected members will be tasked with rewriting the city's land use code, considering further cuts to the Austin Police Department's budget and, if voters approve a tax rate increase, implementing the $7.1 billion Project Connect transit plan.
City council seats are nonpartisan, although all current members are affiliated with the Democratic Party. Austin residents can plug in their address to find their council district here.
Here's a list of who's running:
District 2 Council Member Delia Garza will vacate her seat to serve as Travis County attorney. She won the Democratic primary for the position in July, and there is no Republican candidate.
Four candidates are vying to replace Garza on council, including David Chincanchan, former chief of staff for District 3 Council Member Pio Renteria; Vanessa Fuentes, who works for the American Heart Association and said one of her top priorities would be improving health equity in Austin; Casey Ramos, a boxer who lost to Garza in 2016; and Alex Strenger, a pedicab driver who unsuccessfully ran for mayor in 2018 and has advocated for building a dome around Austin to keep out Californians.
This district covers Southeast Austin.
District 4 Council Member Greg Casar is running for re-election against Louis C. Herrin III, a civil engineer who ran against Casar in 2016 and 2014, and Ramesses II Setepenre, a licensed massage therapist. While on the council, Casar has been a vocal proponent for the recent cuts to the Austin Police Department's budget, paid sick leave and a historic affordable housing bond.
This district includes parts of northeast and north central Austin.
District 6 Council Member Jimmy Flannigan will face off against Deedra Harrison, a consultant; Mackenzie Kelly, a client care manager who unsuccessfully ran against Flannigan in 2014 and opposes public camping and recent cuts to Austin's police department; and Dr. Jennifer Musthaler, a physician. Flannigan's reelection campaign platform includes public safety reform, regional mobility, affordability and social justice.
This district covers parts of northwest Austin.
District 7 Council Member Leslie Pool will face off against one opponent, education adviser Morgan Witt, this election. Pool's priorities include environmental sustainability and preserving Austin neighborhoods' character. Witt, a renter who claims to be the "truly progressive" candidate, supports improving mobility and forming Austin's zoning code to allow for more diversity of housing.
This district includes parts of north central Austin.
District 10 Council Member Alison Alter faces the most crowded field, with six other candidates running for her seat. Her opponents are Ben Easton, a writer who ran unsuccessfully as a Libertarian candidate for the Texas House in 2016; Belinda Greene, who works in sales; Pooja Sethi, an attorney whose campaign platform includes community-driven transit and police reform; Robert Thomas, an attorney who ran unsuccessfully for the seat in 2014 and whose platform includes reinstating the police academy and public camping ban; Noel Tristan, a business owner; and Jennifer Virden, who opposes council's recent cut to police funding and the "astronomical" cost of Project Connect.
This district covers West Austin.
- Delaying cadet class, eliminating some police positions proposed in ... ›
- Austin City Council issues call to action over police violence - austonia ›
- Austin City Council will put $7.1 billion Project Connect transit bond ... ›
- Austin City Council, CapMetro approve Project Connect - austonia ›
- Developer dollars flow to favored council candidates - austonia ›
- Austin City Council voting records - austonia ›
- Austin land use code rewrite stalled amid pandemic, lawsuit - austonia ›
- Austin City Council candidate forums planned before election - austonia ›
- Austonia's 2020 voter guide: polling places, interesting races - austonia ›
- Dem nominee MJ Hegar raises $13.5 million in third quarter - austonia ›
- No straight-ticket voting for Texas' 2020 election - austonia ›
- Council candidates so far raised $930,000 - austonia ›
- Fly on Mike Pence during Vice presidential debate gains attention from Austin celebs - austonia ›
- Pence denies voter suppression during debate after Abbott limits mail-in ballot drop off locations - austonia ›
- John Cornyn leads MJ Hegar by 8 points in U.S. Senate race, UT/TT Poll finds - austonia ›
- On the first day of early voting, Austin Police reports no issues despite long lines - austonia ›
- Zoning laws, long a concern of Austin politics, go national - austonia ›
- Austin Public Library vandalized with anti-voting sentiments - austonia ›
- Council candidates raised nearly $1.2 million - austonia ›
- Political organization reaches an all-time high in Austin’s Asian American community - austonia ›
- LIVE UPDATES: No lines at many East Austin voting sites on Election Day morning - austonia ›
- Early voting: Alison Alter leads in crowded race for Austin City Council District 10 - austonia ›
- Leslie Pool leads in Austin City Council District 7 election race - austonia ›
- Jimmy Flannigan leads in the Austin City Council District 6 race - austonia ›
- Greg Casar leads in Austin City Council District 4 race - austonia ›
- EARLY VOTING: Vanessa Fuentes leads race for Austin City Council District 2 seat - austonia ›
- Austin Council Member Jimmy Flannigan accosted by motorcyclists - austonia ›
In a new real estate report looking at the most and least expensive cities to buy a house, Austin crumbled, falling near the bottom of the list and below every other Texas city mentioned.
- James Van Der Beek moves family to Texas from California - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan's new home is a $14 million mansion on Lake Austin ... ›
- Elijah Wood's Victorian Austin home goes on the market - austonia ›
With Thanksgiving a few days away, finding the perfect wine to serve during dinner can be time consuming for anyone. Whether you are looking for a full-bodied red to serve during your dinner, or a rich white wine to pair with appetizers and desserts, Texas wines have so much to offer.
2018 Haak Vineyards Ensaio BDB dry, $19<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjE4MS9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNDk2MTA4OH0.SVj7i9eqim_LGO_VAJ_vN7HCQtq-rzox9hKN2jj3Dq8/img.png?width=980" id="d9dc8" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="8574b90092484c3d2a449b099cf786c6" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2019 Calais Winery Cuvee du Rocher Reserve, $36<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjE4NC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY2NDQyOTc3Nn0.nVPN96n7-rY25Qu_rAQ7Lk6VIVQ4ARP-Kwer9M0Zeyo/img.png?width=980" id="57521" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="1e9b4e2372d95616ccdfbf35a6e274af" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2018 Brennan Vineyards Roussanne, $18<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjE5MS9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1MDI5ODY5M30.xOENqjjewnhqYk7D86MjNzCijANZg3Qmddhhjwaq9NI/img.png?width=980" id="6da4a" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="8ba7caadc009a601a307dfa5f14dc226" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2018 Duchman Family Winery Vermentino, $26<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjE5OC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNzI0MDAyMH0.Kv_5KtI6sG0kssHcoqEICRWjRpgVhi6LZuvZB8rn4Uw/img.png?width=980" id="218d1" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="7a541b69cff9368723172f7211fa3ac1" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
Duchman Winery<p>With so many new normals in 2020, you might want to switch up your Thanksgiving dinner by adding some seafood options. If you are looking for a wine pairing to suit your needs or to add flavor to any herb-filled dish, try this award winning vermentino. You can learn more about this wine at <a href="https://www.duchmanwinery.com/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">duchmanwinery.com</a>.</p>
2019 Landon Winery Viognier, $20<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIwMS9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNDAzNjA4Nn0.ai8nCQ4HtVt2p7XT57kOBXenNI6lRWXNdBfhX9yqusA/img.png?width=980" id="aaa2e" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="2d6b206fa7ac7f45ae818e3fdc847262" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2017 Bending Branch Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, $50<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIwNC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1OTU1MTA3OH0.DVeBrH8kkdWqGOcoltQZc83LLPEZrZTfVOSXsGVteas/img.png?width=980" id="7d84d" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="70cc366c0eb003396eb22cf8b159042f" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2017 Pedernales Cellars TX Malbec, $40<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIxMC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY2MjA4NjA0NH0.fQJ0amoXIjUsuDuLr7iX7Kgd1URmVEFQ4Zd8Q9HP0E0/img.png?width=980" id="75161" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="b1bbef5a3d4fe105689b4ddb5d71801a" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2017 Kuhlman Cellars Zinfandel, $34<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIxMi9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyNTE3Nzg1OX0.t94GOwH-fUpKDnp9Bgbz8k3LJXdShqnwvn1ZFA_20VA/img.png?width=980" id="5c629" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="0c51053776822e0f5cfd4580994d1025" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
2013 Bending Branch Winery Tannat EM, $45<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIxNS9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyODMzNjc4MH0.PAL89dldrpFHFD4NINkRsfij4wAFAxGVix819jnEdWM/img.png?width=980" id="8e874" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="3c055c6444d0819b76911151f7199655" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
Bending Branch Winery<p>Amplify the rich taste of any holiday meal with this Texas tannat. Your savory dinner options, such as roasted meats and salty entrees, will happily pair with the acidity and notes of cola, spearmint, cedar and violets with this tannat. You can learn more about this wine at <a href="https://www.bendingbranchwinery.com/" target="_blank">bendingbranchwinery.com</a>.</p>
2017 Kuhlman Cellars Reserve Merlot, $38<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yNDgwNjIyMy9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyMTQ1MTkzOH0.0xAByeUklURkGx2z2EMbHkyvsrEKMEBi2gu8s3tjEeo/img.png?width=980" id="09a08" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="c35faec57e42af9bf9d76ae847660186" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
- Hope to enjoy Thanksgiving? Then skip Halloween in Austin ... ›
- Here is where you can order your Thanksgiving meal package ... ›
- 5 new breweries and more in Austin - austonia ›
- 4 Austin optimists opening new businesses in the pandemic - austonia ›
Austin’s immigrant advocates are optimistic about a Biden administration—but experts caution patience
Local immigration advocates expect that, very soon after President-elect Joe Biden is inaugurated on Jan. 20, he will begin overturning federal policies implemented during the Trump administration. And then they expect demand for immigrant legal services in Austin to jump.
- Austin braces for election-week unrest - austonia ›
- International students at Texas universities can't return - austonia ›
- Political organization reaches an all-time high in Austin's Asian ... ›
- Protest recap: Austinites rally after election results - austonia ›
- UT professors chosen for Joe Biden's transition team - austonia ›
Local health officials repeated their request that Austinites not gather this Thanksgiving and recommended that Travis County schools return to virtual learning in the week after the holiday in an attempt to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
- How risky are your holiday plans this year? - austonia ›
- Austin's homeless shelters weather the holidays—and COVID ... ›
- Everything we know about COVID-19 in Austin right now - austonia ›
- Austin-Travis County returns to Stage 4 as COVID cases surge ... ›
- Austin sees COVID cases increase ahead of Thanksgiving - austonia ›
Williamson County Judge Bill Gravell reportedly violated his own stay-at-home order by attending a family birthday party in the spring.
The CEO of Dropbox, one of the most popular cloud storage services, is planning a move to Austin.
A 'brutal winter' ahead: Austin restaurateurs say new COVID recommendations will further deter business
When local officials recommended businesses limit their capacity beyond state requirements due to the current surge in COVID cases, restaurateur Eric Silverstein was discouraged.
- Austin bar closures also close some dining establishments - austonia ›
- Restaurant capacity expands to 75% in Austin - austonia ›
- Austin restaurants and businesses struggle due to COVID-19 ... ›
- Many Austin restaurants can't afford reduced capacity - austonia ›
- Everything we know about COVID-19 in Austin right now - austonia ›