Austin FC will be adding up to five players to its roster ahead of the new year and its spring 2021 season.
The MSL Expansion Draft, where new teams get to choose players with MLS experience, will take place at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 15, and will be broadcasted on AustinFC.com, as well as on the clubs social media platforms.
As the only expansion team making its debut in 2021, Austin FC will be the only club to partake in the expansion draft, meaning that fans of Austin's newest professional team won't have to sit and wait for other teams to make their picks. Instead, Tuesday could look more like a coming out party for the team rather than your typical draft.
Per MLS rules, Austin FC will be permitted three minutes for each player selection, and the soccer club can claim one player from each of the participating MLS clubs. No trades will be permitted during the 2020 MLS Expansion Draft window, which ends as soon as the allotted three minutes for the fifth pick ends.
"Our Club has been working diligently for many months to arrive at this moment, and the Expansion Draft marks a vital step in the process of building our 2021 inaugural roster," said Claudio Reyna, Austin FC sporting director in a press release. "We are excited to add up to five important players to our squad, and we look forward to continuing to build our roster in advance of our first MLS season in 2021. I urge all our fans to make sure they tune in on December 15 to see who we select."
Austin FC will be allowed to fill out its roster at noon on Dec. 16, when MLS free agency begins.
The new team has already added forwards Cecilio Domínguez and Rodney Redes earlier this year and look to add more through free agency and the draft. Each MLS roster holds 30 players, with 18 being eligible for the game day squad roster during the regular season and playoffs.
MLS has not yet announced a schedule or opening day for Austin FC and its $260 million dollar stadium.
- Austin FC installs stadium seats, stadium opening in spring - austonia ›
- Austin FC's 2021 debut season shines as bright spot for fans ... ›
- Drone: Verde grows at new Austin FC stadium - austonia ›
- Who Austin FC may be eyeing in the Expansion Draft - austonia ›
- Austin FC acquires four new players in MLS Expansion Draft - austonia ›
A handful of lawsuits accusing InfoWars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones of defamation against Sandy Hook victims will be allowed to move forward, despite Jones's attempts to squash them, The Texas Supreme Court ruled Friday.
- New Austinite Joe Rogan visits the Governor's Mansion - austonia ›
- EXCLUSIVE: Joe Rogan teases new Texas podcast studio; locals ... ›
- Alex Jones goes viral yelling at lifeguards at greenbelt entrance ... ›
With an extremely limited vaccine supply, Austin Public Health is now focusing its distribution events on individuals who are 65 years of age or older, public health officials said Friday.
"We have more than 129,000 of (people in this category)," APH Director Stephanie Hayden-Howard said Friday, adding Austin residents who do not fall into this demographic group to be patient.
- Austin COVID curve is flattening but vaccines remain limited - austonia ›
- Austin healthcare offering COVID-19 vaccine waitlists - austonia ›
- Austin Public Health debuts COVID vaccine sign-up list - austonia ›
- Austin Public Health to receive 12,000 doses of COVID vaccine ... ›
- Austin Public Health prepares for COVID vaccine distribution ... ›