Austin sports fans are in the clear this weekend as Austin FC heads to Vancouver and Texas football plays at home, but this month they'll face a moral dilemma as they're forced to choose between Verde and burnt orange for the first time.
Austin FC, the newcomer that has quickly incited one of the most passionate fanbases in MLS, will play at home at the same time as tried-and-true Texas football for the first time at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept 18.
Some fans, like Austin FC season ticket holder Rod Mercado, will resort to desperate measures to catch a glimpse of both their favorite teams.
Rod Mercado (left) is a longtime Texas and Austin FC fan. (Rod Mercado/Twitter)
"Maybe I'll watch the Longhorn game on my phone while I'm sitting in my seats (at Q2)," Mercado said.
Others say conflicting times are no problem for the two different sports.
Easy—you watch the entire Austin FC match and afterwards catch the last 2 1/2 hours of the UT game on TV.
— shane (@_millimeter) August 25, 2021
But the fateful Sept. 18 time conflict is just one of the run-ins between the two teams that have never played in the same season. Austin FC has had the undivided attention of Austinites all summer as their first season rides into a time usually dedicated to all things Longhorns. Some wonder whether one team will suffer in the presence of the other, especially as Austin FC struggles to move up in the standings.
But Mercado, a Longhorn fan since graduating in 1995 and longtime Austin Anthem and Los Verdes member since its "MLS to Austin" days in 2017, said he and other dual fans are embracing a new favorite color combo: Verde and burnt orange. Just like Longhorn and Austin FC part-owner Matthew McConaughey, they say "the more, the merrier" when it comes to Austin sports culture.
"Texas athletics is the original game in town, but now we're no longer a little hip government, university town, man," McConaughey said at an Austin FC press conference in April. "We're a corporate town. We're a tech town. We're an international destination."
Dr. Matt Bowers, an associate professor for sports management at UT that has been following both teams, tends to agree.
"There's long been this assumption that the Longhorns have such a kind of stranglehold on the sports fan market in a place like Austin that it's too much to compete with," Bowers said. "I think Austin FC is showing that's absolutely not true."
(Q2/Twitter) (Bob Daemmrich)
He said that the Venn Diagram of Longhorns and Austin FC fans isn't a perfect circle. With Longhorns supported by alumni and longtime Austinites and Austin FC representing transplants and a younger audience, each serve different purposes to Austin sport goers.
Austin's sporting market is as "weird" as the rest of the city, according to Bowers, and the two might actually help boost each other as they appeal to slightly different audiences. But the teams still likely won't be collaborating anytime soon. Texas has successfully ingrained itself into what was once the largest market without a professional team, and Bowers said they're probably not looking to team up with smaller competitors.
Fans like Mercado hope to see their two teams work together in some way, from a "Longhorns Night" at Q2 Stadium to Verde and burnt orange merch. Many fans are looking forward to an all-day party when Texas plays OSU at home at noon on Oct. 16 and Austin FC follows at 8 p.m. that night, or when UT plays Baylor at noon in Waco before Austin FC heads to FC Dallas at 7 p.m Oct. 20.
If I were still in town, I have a Austin Fc season ticket so I'd go to that game bc Texas 🏈 is much more expensive. Yes I'd like to see a Longhorn night at Q2 and vice verse at DKR. On 10/20 I'd just make a marathon day out of it and try to get to both games 🐂 🧡🤍+ ⚽️💚 🖤
— Biden-Harris Won (@ATXChristina) August 25, 2021
But some Austin FC fans like Bryce Cathcart side with Texas in saying they don't want the two to mix.
"Not a UT fan but more than that I just think it would be in bad taste," Cathcart said. "Honestly I think the majority of the Austin FC fan base couldn't care less about UT. Let the two teams do their own thing."
Austin FC fan Bryce Cathcart said most Austin FC fans aren't interested in UT. (Bryce Cathcart)
While Bowers says fan attendance should be mostly unaffected as long as Austin FC stays in their honeymoon phase and the Longhorns maintain their grip on Austin, he's most curious about which team will win TV rights at sports bars across the city. Still, he says that both teams should come out pretty unscathed as their seasons come to an end.
"I don't think we'll leave this fall with anything other than optimism about what our sports fan market can support," Bowers said.
- Austin FC and Tigres fans are one and the same as the clubs come ... ›
- Austin FC fans' loyalties collide as Tigres head to Q2 - austonia ›
- Past Precourt beef resurfaces as Columbus Crew fans head to ... ›
- Austin's Latino's feels "close to home" with Austin FC - austonia ›
- 12 Austin FC fans get inked up in tattoo marathon - austonia ›
- Austin FC's Q2 Stadium is the biggest party in Austin - austonia ›
- Austin FC, FC Dallas and Houston Dynamo to make a Texas rivalry ... ›
- Despite a comeback attempt, Austin FC falls to rivals FC Dallas in 5 ... ›
- LIVE: Austin FC tries for second Texas Derby win with Driussi in tow ... ›
- Fans want Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff fired - austonia ›
- Where to watch: Austin FC, Texas football highlight Labor Day weekend - austonia ›
- Austin FC opens downtown Verde Store on Congress - austonia ›
- Texas alum Justin Tucker sets NFL record with 66-yard field goal - austonia ›
- Austin FC beats Houston Dynamo 2-1 - austonia ›
- Where to watch: Football and futbol watch parties as Longhorns, Austin FC hit the road Saturday - austonia ›
- Constant change, lack of 'five-star culture' could be holding back 'rock-bottom' Texas football program - austonia ›
- Arch Manning of Manning football dynasty commits to University of Texas - austonia ›
- Texas football names Quinn Ewers as starting quarterback - austonia ›
- What Ted Lasso and Austin FC Have in Common - Austin Monthly ... ›
- Austin FC: Supporters unveil tifo with Austin history, culture icons ›
- Meet Los Verdes: Austin FC's Most Loyal Fans - Austin Monthly ... ›
- Austin FC: Supporters from Los Verdes, Austin Anthem ready to travel ›
- Matthew McConaughey Is One of Austin F.C.'s New Owners – Texas ... ›
- 3 key things McConaughey can bring to Austin FC as a Longhorn ... ›
Show your love for Tito's and for the community this year with a wide selection of not that ugly, uglyish, ugly, uglier, and ugliest holiday sweaters.
There's lots choose from, and plenty of accessories like scarves and socks, plus gear for your dog, too.
All of the items can be purchased online or at the Love, Tito’s Retail Store in Austin, TX. 100% of all net proceeds from online or in-store purchases go to one of the nonprofits we’ve teamed up with.
🗓 All weekend
Check out this highly anticipated art exhibition with illuminated art along Waller Creek. Tickets are free and the event includes food vendors, dazzling lights, live music, and hands-on activities
All weekend 6 p.m - 10 p.m | 📍Waterloo Park
This iconic holiday tradition lights up for the first time this holiday season starting this weekend! Reserve your spot for an enchanting light and sound performance, delicious hot cocoa, sweet treats, and some overall fun with your friends or family. The show runs till January 6th.
6 p.m and 9 p.m | 📍Mozart's Coffee Roasters - 3825 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
This fitness event is free and open to the public. Get your morning started right with a "Fitness in the park" class for kickboxing! The class will be led by certified instructors and is a great way to get a cardio workout in while also honing your self-defense skills.
10 a.m - 11 a.m | 📍 Metz Park
Support local LBGTQ+ and female artists at this outdoor market with over 150 vendors. Get your holiday shopping out of the way at this event, with vendors for food trucks, handmade goods, raffles, hands on workshops and activities, and more.
Did someone say cheese?! If you're like me and always willing to get your hands on a bowl of mac and cheese, then this event is for you. Check out the Mac and Cheese festival happening this weekend to decide which vendor has. the best mac and cheese for yourself, and enjoy the bar with creative cocktails while you're at it. Tickets start at $45.
11 a.m - 3 p.m | 📍Lantana Place - 7415 Southwest Parkway