100% Austin news, info, and entertainment, straight to your inbox at 6 a.m. every morning.
In five minutes, you're fully informed and ready to start another great day in our city.
Before Austin FC's matchup against Minnesota United FC, Diego Fagundez told the press that his first goal with Austin FC was just the beginning.
"I want people to know who I am and what I what I'm capable of," Fagundez said.
A week after he scored Austin FC's first goal, Fagundez received a cross from Jared Stroud and got another bottom corner shot past the Minnesota United goalkeeper to give the club their second-ever lead.
He did it again. 🤩
Shoutout to @JollyJ_Tweets for that pass! pic.twitter.com/STPA5t53DX
— Austin FC (@AustinFC) May 2, 2021
Austin FC's decisive 1-0 victory over Minnesota on Saturday marks the club's first-ever win streak.
Captain Alex Ring, who held down the club's newest midfield formation, said it felt great to win once again on the road.
"We did it for 90 minutes, we put in the dirty work, and it feels amazing to have to two wins in a row with the guys," Ring said.
The Verde crew kept a 55% possession over a club that likes to keep the ball between their feet. With Tomas Pochettino back after he was benched last week due to a request by the MLS, the club saw new, much-needed structure in their midfield lineup. Instead of benching Fagundez for Pochettino, Austin FC took 20-year-old Danny Pereira off the starting XI, and the move paid off for the club. It proved a good look for the Austin FC midfield, which saw some big holes in the first half against the Colorado Rapids.
Head coach Josh Wolff said the club's lineup is ever-changing as they finetune their starting XI.
"We're still evolving," Wolff said. "The disappointment is that we didn't score more goals, (we) created some really good chances and didn't take those opportunities. And I could still say we could probably continue to create more."
Matt Besler was back after the birth of his third child and Zan Kolmanic saw his first start after fellow left back Ben Sweat suffered an ACL tear, but the Austin FC defense was still a slight weak spot for the club.
Luckily, the club was saved- and hindered- by the post. Austin FC saw its first-ever shutout against the Loons, but it was very nearly tie game when Minnesota's Emanuel Reynoso hot one very nearly on target. The shot beat out goalkeeper Brad Stuver, but the ball deflected off the post and helped Austin keep the lead.
Much like last week, forward Rodney Redes almost got his first goal in MLS but was stopped by the post as well in the final minute of regulation.
Five minutes later, Austin FC's first ever win streak was complete. Wolff said the club's second win on the road was well-deserved.
"These guys have worked their butts off and that bond is being built in," Wolff said. "These fans deserve it and these players deserve it. It's reflective of what we're building."
Three weeks into play, Austin FC is 3rd in the Western Conference. They look to keep their meteoric rise trending upward as they face Kansas City in yet another road match on Sunday, May 9.
- Austin FC midfielder Alex Ring was once NYCFC captain - austonia ›
- Ben Sweat brings years of MLS experience to Austin FC - austonia ›
- Diego Fagundez showed his Verde colors with Austin FC's first goal ... ›
- PROFILE: Tomas Pochettino brings creativity to Austin FC roster ... ›
- Austin FC looks to get a win streak going against Minnesota - austonia ›
- Despite lineup changes, Austin FC stages a comeback for first-ever ... ›
- Before kickoff: the ultimate guide to all things Austin FC - austonia ›
- Austin pets alive dogs to be honarary Austin FC mascots - austonia ›
- Austin FC is looking for a three-match win streak at Kansas City - austonia ›
- US Women's National team to christen Q2 Stadium pitch - austonia ›
- Jared Stroud is a playmaker and fan supporter at Austin FC - austonia ›
- 1 1/2 oz of hibiscus-infused Tito's Handmade Vodka
- 2 oz sparkling water
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1 tsp allspice dram
A week after Texas added two congressional seats and California lost one, state officials reported a population decline in 2020 for the first time in the Golden State's history.
California fell by over 182,000 people from January 2020 to January 2021, dropping almost 0.5% to cap out at around 39.5 million people. It is still the nation's most populous state.
For over thirty years, California has seen more people leave than move in from other states, state officials said, with 6.1 million people moving out and 4.9 million coming in last year. Immigration and births kept California growing, but the state saw a shrink in international migration in 2020 due to COVID and the White House's hold on visas.
Of the steady flow of ex-Californians moving to other states, more are moving to Texas than any other state. Many are relocating to Austin, which has been labeled a "little California" by billionaire resident Elon Musk and continues to grow astronomically.
Meanwhile, California cities including Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose and San Francisco saw a population decline.
With immigration and state migration on the decline, the Golden State was also hit with a spike in deaths- 51,000 people died from COVID in 2020, and all but seven of the state's counties saw death rates higher than the three-year average.
Still, the California Department of Finance said a "slightly positive annual growth" can be expected next year as the state recovers from COVID deaths and political repercussions.
- 2020 Census marks 10 years of most rapid growth for Austin - austonia ›
- Joah Spearman responds to a California's man hate of Austin ... ›
- Little California: Techsodus transplants love Austin, but does the city ... ›
- Celebrities who moved to austin, texas in 2020, and those to move ... ›
- California tech employees move to austin for business and way of ... ›
- California man warns against moving to Austin in Op-Ed - austonia ›
- Migration insights of Austin, who is moving to the city and who is ... ›
- Tesla's Elon Musk becomes 3rd richest person in the world - austonia ›
- Californian Texodus is affecting Texas on a national political scale ... ›
- Texas will gain two congressional seats after 2020 census - austonia ›