Austin Fire responds to oven fire prompted by restored power service, urges residents to turn off appliances
The Austin Fire Department responded to a structure fire on East Seventh Street that was caused by an oven left on when the power went out. As power was restored, a fire started. No one was injured.
AFD is urging residents to make sure their cooking and heating appliances are turned off during the power outage to prevent such events.
The department responded to a separate structure fire on East 12th Street on Wednesday. Two people were declared dead on the scene and a third patient was transported to a hospital in critical condition. No cause has yet been determined and will not be released pending autopsy results, according to an update AFD posted on Twitter.
The department has received 18 calls regarding fire alarms since 12:01 a.m. on Thursday, in addition to calls regarding a trash fire, a smoke investigation and an odor investigation, according to city data.
Since the power crisis began early Monday morning, AFD has responded to multiple structure fire and toxic exposure calls, the latter of which have occurred when residents used charcoal inside their homes in an attempt to stay home. This can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal.
AFD has responded to 3 working structure fires today that were all related to fires that originated around the fireplace. Picture is from 6607 Brodie Lane. 20 apartments displaced. Unknown total pic.twitter.com/9UDuGCizjz
— Austin Fire Info (@AustinFireInfo) February 16, 2021
AFD has also responded to hundreds of calls related to broken pipes and collisions caused by the winter storm and resulting power and water crises.
As of 6 pm another 685 broken water pipe (BWP) calls to 911 since midnight. Many of those in the last few hours. Dispatchers are currently answering about 1 BWP call per minute. We are only able to respond to a fraction of these calls.
— Austin Fire Info (@AustinFireInfo) February 17, 2021
Local officials advise residents without power to do the following:
- Stay inside
- Dress in layers
- Avoid downed power lines
- Don't use generators indoor
- Use flashlight and battery-operated lanterns rather than candles and kerosene lanterns, which carry fire risk and fume hazards
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed and follow USDA guidelines regarding food safety during a power outage
- Turn off major appliances to avoid overloading electric lines when power is restored
- Fir Department receives hundreds of reports of broken pipes - austonia ›
- Winter freeze leads to worsening road conditions, slowing EMS ... ›
- 2 dead, 4 injured in East Austin fire in winter storm - austonia ›
Texas is scheduled to receive 24,000 doses of the recently approved Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday, with more on the way.
- Texas gov promises wider COVID-19 vaccine access - austonia ›
- Five local businesses selling one-of-a-kind face masks - austonia ›
- Travis County to vaccinate 3k at COTA drive-thru event - austonia ›
- More vaccines could be headed to Austin as FDA panel greenlights ... ›
An unknown buyer will soon be living the dream after purchasing Austin's most expensive home—a nearly nine-acre property complete with a luxurious glass-walled mansion and a private lagoon in West Austin.
- Is the "Texodus" over for storm-damaged Austin? - austonia ›
- California tech employees move to austin for business and way of ... ›
- What billionaires like Elon Musk look for in Austin real estate - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan's new home is a $14 million mansion on Lake Austin ... ›
Self-proclaimed "Crypto Queen" Grimes made nearly $6 million to kick off her Sunday by selling her newest artwork, a series of crypto-art pieces titled "WarNymph."
- Elon Musk confirms he's moved to Texas - austonia ›
- Elon Musk's Neuralink startup is hiring in Austin, Texas - austonia ›
- Elon Musk, Joe Rogan and Dave Chappelle walk into Stubb's BBQ ... ›
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk moves foundation to Texas - austonia ›