The weather is getting warmer but Austin is still working to help those in need after Winter Storm Uri left many without power or water for days.
If you are in need, these organizations and schools are helping distribute warm meals and water to the community.
- Austin Latino Coalition at St. Elmo Elementary, 600 W. St. Elmo
Free hot meals from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., while supplies last, and free meal boxes with tacos, cases of water and hygiene supplies from 3-6 p.m.
TODAY! HOY! Free HOT Meals Gratis Comidas Caliente
Monday, Feb. 22nd, 11am-6pm St. Elmo Elementary
el lunes 22 de febrero de 2021 en la Primaria St. Elmo
FREE Meal Boxes, Cases of Water, Tacos & Household/Personal Hygiene Supplies, 3-6pm
Cajas de comida, cajas de agua,3-6pm pic.twitter.com/1sX7p9sO9p
— Austin Latino Coalition (@AustinLatinoCo1) February 22, 2021
- Mendez Middle School, 5106 Village Square Dr.
Bottled water and meal distribution from 3-5 p.m.
- Juan Navarro Early College High School, 1200 Fairfield Drive
Starting at 10:30 a.m., Juan Navarro ECHS will have free food and water.
- Circuit of the Americas, 9201 Circuit of the Americas Blvd.
From 3-7 p.m., Circuit of the Americas will have free food and water distribution.
- Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex, 1156 Hargrave St.
Tesla-sponsored food trucks
Additionally, Del Valle Community Coalition has five pop-up food trucks sponsored by Tesla located around Austin from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Shawarma Point food truck, 5106 Village Square Dr.
- Easy Tiger Bakery, 2800 Metcalfe Rd.
- Wholly Cow Burger food truck, 600 W. St. Elmo Rd.
- Taco Baby food truck, 4901 Truman Oak Cove
- BBQ Heaven food truck, 5121 Albert Brown Dr.
AISD curbside meals
33 schools in the Austin Independent School District will also provide free curbside meals for children and their caregivers from 10:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
Water distribution sites
The city of Austin also has 10 water distribution sites open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or until supplies last.
- Lakeline Station, 13652 Lyndhurst Blvd.
- Walnut Creek Park, 12138 N. Lamar Blvd.
- Anderson High School, 8403 Mesa Dr.
- ACC Highland Mall parking lot, 604 E. Highland Mall Blvd.
- Nelson Field, 7105 Berkman Dr.
- Zilker Park, 2301 Barton Springs Rd.
- Roy G. Guerrero Park, 400 Grove Blvd.
- ACC Pinnacle Campus, 7748 US-290
- Garrison Park, 6001 Menchaca Rd.
- Onion Creek Soccer Complex, 5600 E. William Cannon
- 10 places offering free water in Austin - austonia ›
- Central Austin residents no longer need to boil water - austonia ›
- Water distribution plan continues as Austin Water works to restore ... ›
- Austin places lending a helping hand with warm, free food - austonia ›
- Comfort food recipes to try as the weather cools in Austin - austonia ›
- Food, bottled water en route to Austin amid weather crisis - austonia ›
When Gov. Greg Abbott announced that he would rescind business capacity limits and a statewide masking mandate on Texas Independence Day, he framed it as a step forward. "With this executive order, we are ensuring that all businesses and families in Texas have the freedom to determine their own destiny," he said during a press conference at a Mexican restaurant in Lubbock.
But some local restaurants and bars, which have been caught in the regulatory crosshairs since Texas' first positive COVID test 364 days ago, have chosen to ignore Abbott's overture. Instead, they will continue to maintain pandemic precautions once the executive order takes effect next week, citing a desire to keep their staff and patrons safe.
- Restaurant capacity expands to 75% in Austin - austonia ›
- Austin officials concerned over bars becoming restaurants - austonia ›
- Travis County judge says bars must remained closed amid COVID ... ›
- Abbott closes Texas bars, tubing, reduces restaurants capacity ... ›
(AUSTIN, TEXAS) Austonia has hired Claire Partain as a reporter covering Austin FC, the MLS expansion team that will be Austin's first major league sports franchise.
Partain is a former sports editor for the The University Star, Texas State University's daily newspaper. She edited, covered sports, produced podcasts, and hosted a pre-game TXST football tailgate live series. Partain has been freelancing with the company since January, prior to accepting a staff position.
A native of Fairfield, Texas, Partain grew up playing youth soccer. In her high school years, she played alongside her mother in what was then called the Freestone County Hispanic Women's Soccer League.
Claire's coverage philosophy: "I like to bring out the humanity of sports, and I want to make this the most accessible sports coverage possible."
She notes that soccer is the predominant sport for young people. "It's a global sport, and we're more connected to the world than older generations."
That approach fits the team's already visible presence in Austin, says Austonia CEO Mark Dewey. "Austin FC has established itself as a leading Austin brand, one that stands for a more unified Austin community, a bigger global presence for Austin and fun. Austonia shares those values."
Partain's soccer coverage begins immediately, with her free, hosted text service—Austonia FC. For updates, special access and inside info, all moderated by Claire, sign up below.
Austonia is the city's independent, free, locally-owned and all-digital source for Austin news, information and entertainment.
Connect with Austonia through its daily email newsletter and text updates, @austonianews Instagram feed, @austonianews and @austinist Twitter feeds, @austonianews Facebook page and its website austonia.com.
- Austin FC acquires midfielder Diego Fagundez - austonia ›
- Austin FC official 2021 home jersey revealed - austonia ›
- austin-fc - austonia ›
- Austin FC acquires four new players in MLS Expansion Draft ... ›
- An inside look at Austin FC's new stadium - austonia ›
- Drone: Verde grows at new Austin FC stadium - austonia ›
- Austin FC's 2021 debut season shines as bright spot for fans ... ›
Austin Public Health will release another batch of first dose COVID-19 vaccine appointments for Thursday on Wednesday evening. A department spokesperson estimates between 3,000 and 4,000 slots will be available.
- Where in Austin COVID-19 vaccines are being sent this week ... ›
- Everything we know about Austin's COVID vaccine rollout - austonia ›
- Austin healthcare offering COVID-19 vaccine waitlists - austonia ›
- Testing sites close, vaccine appointments stay on track despite cold ... ›