Austin's record-setting home prices have drawn a lot of attention recently. But this trend extends beyond the city limits.
Home prices across the five-county Austin metro are rising at an even faster clip than in the city of Austin: 42.2% year-over-year compared to 34.9%, according to the Austin Board of Realtors' May market report.
Here's the county-by-county breakdown for median home price:
- In Travis County it rose 41% to $550,000.
- In Williamson County it rose 50% to $435,000.
- In Hays County it rose 42.5% to $380,000.
- In Bastrop County it rose 24% to $321,250.
- In Caldwell County it rose 26.9% to $239,000.
Population growth mirrors this trend, with numbers rising faster in the outlying areas than in the city of Austin. Between 2010 and 2019, the city's population grew 22.1% to 978,908, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The metro, on the other hand, grew nearly 30% to 2,227,083 over the same period.
Here's the county-by-county break for population growth.
- In Travis County it rose 24.4% to 1,273,954.
- In Williamson County it grew 39.8% to 590,551.
- In Hays County it grew 46.5% to 230,191.
- In Bastrop County it grew 19.5% to 88,723.
- In Caldwell County it grew 14.7% to 43,664.
The regional housing market's meteoric rise is also fueled by job growth and relocations. Recent transplants, especially from more expensive cities in California and New York, are enticed by Austin's relatively affordable real estate. But their ability to pay well above list price, often in cash, has priced out many existing residents, who may then be forced to look further afield.
"(T)he sheer demand for housing has created a critical inventory shortage, reinforcing that affordability and accessibility to housing across our region is a real concern and should be a top priority for local leaders," ABoR President Susan Horton said in a statement last week.
- How millennial homebuyers are influencing the Austin market ... ›
- Austin's hot housing market ups down payments, barriers - austonia ›
- Austin housing market keeps heating up—but supply is too low ... ›
- Austin housing market broke records in 2020 despite COVID ... ›
- Austin's housing market is hot, but buyers feel burned out - austonia ›
- Three Hollywood actors make the move from LA to Austin in pandemic - austonia ›
- Even a raised minimum wage in Austin wouldn't cut it, study says - austonia ›
- Austin to become the most expensive city outside California - austonia ›
- Cooling down? Austin home sales drop for the first time since May 2020, but prices stay hot - austonia ›
- Austin's housing market cools with the seasons, sees September slowdown - austonia ›
- Foreign interest continued in Austin housing market despite pandemic, with $634 million from international buyers - austonia ›
- Austin's hot housing, rental market bleed into southern neighbors - austonia ›
- Austin and San Antonio could soon form a metroplex that rivals DFW - austonia ›
- Austin housing market prices continue to climb in 2021 real estate frenzy - austonia ›
- The median house price in Austin metro nearly $500,000 - austonia ›
Help us find our editor!
Austonia, a for-profit Austin digital media company, is looking for the right person for a new position as newsletter editor.
Are you an innovator who wants to work exclusively in digital media and push the boundaries? Do you have 3+ years in digital, broadcast, print or agency work? This could be the opportunity for you.
In two years we’ve created a place in the Austin media landscape, and we’re looking for people who can move us toward the front.
- AM email newsletter, 22,500+ daily subscribers
- Austonia.com, reaching 250,000+ users/month
- Social media, 50,000+ followers
Success in this role is based on skills: an excellent writer, editor, visual communicator and storyteller who builds compelling stories with digital and classic elements, who can recruit and mentor contributors in doing the same.
Austin is the most interesting city in the world, and we want to cover it that way. The people, issues, opportunities, challenges, companies and cultures that make Austin dynamic and successful.
Compensation depends on experience. Benefits include PTO and employee Blue Cross Blue Shield “Silver” health coverage, with 100% of the monthly premium paid by the company.
This is a hybrid, mostly remote position. Must live in Austin.
The position reports to Austonia’s CEO.
To apply, follow this link to become a candidate immediately:
Or send your contact info and a link to your LinkedIn profile to email@example.com.
Camp Fimfo Waco, a brand new camping resort, is kicking off football and fall camping season in style! With top-notch amenities, premium accommodations, and 10 weekends of fall fun, there’s no better place to have a fall camping getaway, especially if you’re a Baylor football fan!
Fall promises to be a one-of-a-kind camping experience. From Sept. 16 to Nov. 24, weekends will be packed with fall-themed activities, including special Halloween weekends in October. Campers can enjoy activities like fall crafts, campground trick-or-treating, costume contests, site decorating, outdoor movie nights, and more!
Packages and Ways to Stay
Camp Fimfo Waco
Located just 5 miles from McLane Stadium, Camp Fimfo Waco is the perfect place to stay during home game weekends. Skip the stuffy hotel room and embrace the great outdoors before cheering on the Baylor Bears! Campers can purchase a Baylor Tailgating Package that includes a pre-game meal from Executive Chef Sean Kelley and transportation to and from the game! Chef Kelley will also be cooking up delicious, elevated tailgating meals near the stadium so make sure to check out The Plaid Plate food truck before the game.
Stay in style and comfort, no matter your camping preference! At Camp Fimfo Waco, there are multiple ways to stay. Red Carpet RV sites come with a concrete pad and patio, full hook-ups, cable hook-up, a charcoal grill, fire ring and fire pit. Back-in or pull-thru options are available, as well as coveted spots tucked along the Bosque River!
Don’t have an RV? Not a problem, Camp Fimfo Waco has cabins too! Book a Riverview Firewheel Cabin if you’re looking for an air-conditioned oasis for the whole family. Complete with a kitchen and private bathroom, this cabin can fit up to 10 people. Elevate your stay by adding on a golf cart or snag a private cabana by the pool for guaranteed shade. With wifi available throughout the park, you can stay connected during your stay!
Amenities and Activities
Camp Fimfo Waco
Camp Fimfo Waco features lots of amenities to fill your days with fun, whether you’re a kid or kid at heart. After challenging your friends to a game of pickleball, basketball, or mini golf, go for a dip in the resort-style, heated pool - open daily through October! Stay on the weekends through October to enjoy the interactive splash playground. With plenty of ways to burn off energy, like the jumping pillow or playground, you can be sure to end the day with a peaceful night around the campfire!
Right now, you can get the fourth night FREE when you book three nights with the promo code BONUS! Check out the Offers page for full details and more promo codes!