Round Rock nurse and COVID-19 frontline worker Nhi Phan was among 7,500 vaccinated health care workers who watched the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat the Chiefs in person on Sunday night.
Phan, a specialty triage nurse at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center, attended the Super Bowl as part of a thank-you gift from the Dallas Cowboys for risking her life in the COVID-19 pandemic.
Nhi Phan (LinkedIn)
Phan was one of four selected by the Cowboys in a drawing that saw over 700 applicants. Although she told KXAN she was rooting for the Chiefs, the game was still a win for Phan, who had never attended a live football game prior to Sunday night.
The drawing was part of an initiative by the NFL to gift tickets to over 7,500 vaccinated health care workers around the country. Workers were recognized for their efforts during the COVID-19 pandemic multiple times throughout the big game and were even thanked by President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden in an ad that aired before kickoff.
While all of the winning health care workers were vaccinated before the Super Bowl, social distancing practices such as wearing masks were still enforced to prevent COVID-19 transmission. Alongside the 7,500 health care workers, 14,500 others attended the game, bringing the total attendance to 22,000.
- 11 game-changing recipes you have to make this Superbowl ... ›
- Indeed debuts first Super Bowl ad ahead of Sunday's game - austonia ›
- McConaughey goes 2D as "Flat Matthew" in Doritos Super Bowl ad ... ›
Texas is scheduled to receive 24,000 doses of the recently approved Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday, with more on the way.
- Texas gov promises wider COVID-19 vaccine access - austonia ›
- Five local businesses selling one-of-a-kind face masks - austonia ›
- Travis County to vaccinate 3k at COTA drive-thru event - austonia ›
- More vaccines could be headed to Austin as FDA panel greenlights ... ›
An unknown buyer will soon be living the dream after purchasing Austin's most expensive home—a nearly nine-acre property complete with a luxurious glass-walled mansion and a private lagoon in West Austin.
- Is the "Texodus" over for storm-damaged Austin? - austonia ›
- California tech employees move to austin for business and way of ... ›
- What billionaires like Elon Musk look for in Austin real estate - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan's new home is a $14 million mansion on Lake Austin ... ›
Self-proclaimed "Crypto Queen" Grimes made nearly $6 million to kick off her Sunday by selling her newest artwork, a series of crypto-art pieces titled "WarNymph."
- Elon Musk confirms he's moved to Texas - austonia ›
- Elon Musk's Neuralink startup is hiring in Austin, Texas - austonia ›
- Elon Musk, Joe Rogan and Dave Chappelle walk into Stubb's BBQ ... ›
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk moves foundation to Texas - austonia ›