Kayaks, tubes and paddle boards jammed side by side have appeared on Lady Bird Lake throughout the summer, despite local orders prohibiting gatherings and advising social distancing. The crowd of mostly young people at a shallow sandbar where Barton Creek flows into the lake has come to be known by locals as "Party Island."
The draw to Lady Bird Lake's 82-degree waters is understandable. Austin temperatures have soared to 100 degrees or higher for 24 days this month alone, according to AccuWeather, with no break in the forecast.
Mayor Steve Adler's July 14 order to "stay home, mask and otherwise be safe" remains in force, as does a 1964 city ordinance that bans swimming in Lady Bird Lake. Yet the partying continues into this weekend.
Urban Meyer's wife, Shelley, recently visited Austin to assess the real estate situation, Austonia has learned. Does that mean it's time for coaching legend Urban to ride into Austin and take the reins from his former assistant coach Tom Herman?
CompTIA's annual Tech Town Index is out and the results do not disappoint. For the second year in a row, Austin was named the top tech town in the U.S.
- Tesla files site plan for Austin Gigafactory - austonia ›
- Elon Musk's Neuralink startup is hiring in Austin, Texas - austonia ›
- SpaceX job ad reveals early stages of Texas space resort - austonia ›
With the announcement of Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines nearing the home stretch of approval in the U.S., a new danger has poised itself: scam treatments and fraudulent vaccines.
- Austinites test incoming Moderna vaccine with 95% efficacy - austonia ›
- UT professor played role in Pfizer and Moderna's COVID vaccines ... ›
- Texas picked for new Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine - austonia ›
- COVID-19 vaccine trial conducted in Austin reports success - austonia ›
After a fatal accident on Nov. 24, locals mourn the death of Austin couple Jose and Sara Miñán.
- Donors rally behind Austin dive bar Donn's Depot amid COVID ... ›
- Austin protestor Garrett Foster killed by driver - austonia ›
- Austin ISD should delay school or risk 40-1,000 deaths - austonia ›
A majority of the charges related to the Black Lives Matter protests over the summer will be dropped.
Sunday was the busiest day Austin-Bergstrom International Airport has seen since the pandemic began in March, with 12,127 outbound passengers.
- Free COVID-19 testing for Austin protesters—no symptoms required ›
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport sees high traffic - austonia ›
Austin sees slight decline in COVID numbers—but it's still too early to tell the impact of Thanksgiving gatherings
After weeks of warnings, advisories and even an emergency text alert from local health officials, Austin's COVID-19 caseload appears to be on a post-Thanksgiving decline.
- Hope to enjoy Thanksgiving? Then skip Halloween in Austin ... ›
- Austin-Travis County returns to Stage 4 as COVID cases surge ... ›
- Austin Public Health issues post-Thanksgiving COVID guidelines ... ›