Shocker—Austin’s luxury real estate market is booming but after an especially fruitful year, the capital city is joining the big leagues for high-priced homes.
According to a study comparing industry-wide sales activity done by real estate agency Compass, Austin saw a 450% increase in $10 million-plus real estate transactions from 2020-2021, placing it among the 30 highest-value markets in the U.S.
With 11 total transactions totaling $189 million, the sales volume in Austin jumped 562% since 2020, putting the city markedly higher than major cities like Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Jersey Shore, New Jersey; Long Island, New York, and Washington D.C.
Dallas was the only other Texas city to be included on the list and nearly mirrored Austin’s luxury real estate activity but ultimately came in lower in terms of total sales volume. With 10 total transactions above $10 million from 2020-2021, Dallas sold $115 million worth of houses and saw growth of about 66-68%.
However, Dallas prevailed out of the most expensive sold Compass listing at $11.9 million, whereas Austin’s most expensive listing capped at $11.6 million.
According to local agents Dara Allen and Gary Dolch, local luxury real estate has historically been concentrated along Lake Austin but is starting to spread out into areas like downtown and the suburbs. More luxury properties in diverse areas are expected to be listed on the Multiple Listing Service than ever before, which Allen said can be attributed to work-from-home.
“The prioritization of more square footage, larger lots, luxury amenities, and privacy is sending buyers as far out as Spanish Oaks and Dripping Springs,” Allen said. “People are spending more time at home and need space for sometimes even multiple home offices. Moreover, sellers are still holding tight despite their homes being worth more than they ever have been, and buyers are coming from surprising places.”
Dolch said Austin will continue to see growth from its feeder markets: California, New York, Chicago and Florida on account of the low-interest rates and ever-growing local tech and cryptocurrency markets.
“We are forecasting that our luxury market in Austin takes another leg up with 20%+ appreciation year over year,” Dolch said. “As good as it has been here, we think we’re still in the early days with at least a five-year runway ahead of us. Especially in executive estates, waterfront, and ranch properties which make up the majority of our current $200 million-plus listing portfolio.”
- What $10 million or more can get you in Austin luxury homes ... ›
- Austin outpaces other Texas cities in luxury home sales - austonia ›
- COTA to add in luxury trackside 'car condos' for racing enthusiasts ... ›
- Austin luxury real estate market booms in pandemic - austonia ›
- Former pro golfer Joe Oglivie lists $5 M West Austin mansion - austonia ›
- Justin Bieber's manager sells Lake Austin mansion in bitcoin - austonia ›
- Austin has more million dollar homes than Dallas, Houston - austonia ›
- 3 Hill Country homes with top-tier amenities on the market - austonia ›
- Austin's housing market is more overpriced than any U.S. city but Boise - austonia ›
- Local A-listers are struggling to get a house Austin’s red-hot real estate market - austonia ›
- Texas' most expensive home for sale is at Austin's Lake Travis - austonia ›
- Austin had the second-highest jump in one-bedroom rents in U.S. - austonia ›
- Pool for the summer: Austin homes with their own private oasis - austonia ›
- Austin's million-dollar home sales are rivaling Dallas, Houston - austonia ›
- Austin median home price leveling out as July shows smallest increase since 2020 - austonia ›
- Two million-dollar luxury hillside lots for sale on Lake Austin - austonia ›
- Six $12 million homes coming to West Lake Hills - austonia ›
Show your love for Tito's and for the community this year with a wide selection of not that ugly, uglyish, ugly, uglier, and ugliest holiday sweaters.
There's lots choose from, and plenty of accessories like scarves and socks, plus gear for your dog, too.
All of the items can be purchased online or at the Love, Tito’s Retail Store in Austin, TX. 100% of all net proceeds from online or in-store purchases go to one of the nonprofits we’ve teamed up with.
🗓 All weekend
Check out this highly anticipated art exhibition with illuminated art along Waller Creek. Tickets are free and the event includes food vendors, dazzling lights, live music, and hands-on activities
All weekend 6 p.m - 10 p.m | 📍Waterloo Park
This iconic holiday tradition lights up for the first time this holiday season starting this weekend! Reserve your spot for an enchanting light and sound performance, delicious hot cocoa, sweet treats, and some overall fun with your friends or family. The show runs till January 6th.
6 p.m and 9 p.m | 📍Mozart's Coffee Roasters - 3825 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
This fitness event is free and open to the public. Get your morning started right with a "Fitness in the park" class for kickboxing! The class will be led by certified instructors and is a great way to get a cardio workout in while also honing your self-defense skills.
10 a.m - 11 a.m | 📍 Metz Park
Support local LBGTQ+ and female artists at this outdoor market with over 150 vendors. Get your holiday shopping out of the way at this event, with vendors for food trucks, handmade goods, raffles, hands on workshops and activities, and more.
Did someone say cheese?! If you're like me and always willing to get your hands on a bowl of mac and cheese, then this event is for you. Check out the Mac and Cheese festival happening this weekend to decide which vendor has. the best mac and cheese for yourself, and enjoy the bar with creative cocktails while you're at it. Tickets start at $45.
11 a.m - 3 p.m | 📍Lantana Place - 7415 Southwest Parkway