Austin surpassed the threshold for Stage 5 just over a week ago and amid a renewed surge of cancellations, postponements and pleas to get everyone vaccinated across the city, many restaurants in the area are taking "personal responsibility" into their own dining establishments.
Dozens of Austin eateries are asking customers to take COVID precautions by wearing a mask, or in some cases showing proof of vaccination, to enter their establishments.
The request to wear masks again comes after Austin Public Health said it encourages businesses to enforce Stage 5 precautions, since local mask mandates were banned by Gov. Greg Abbott in May. The governor reiterated that he will not reinstate a mask mandate on July 21, saying that Texas is "past the time of government mandates" and it would be "inappropriate to require people who already have immunity to wear a mask."
If you visit any of the following restaurants, make sure you have a mask in tow.
Requiring vaccine proof and masks for indoor diners:
- Launderette, 2115 Holly St.
- Fresa's, 1703 S 1st Street and 915 N Lamar Blvd.
- The Tigress, 100 W N Loop Blvd.
- ATX Cocina, 110 San Antonio St.
- Bobo's Snack Bar, 3850 Airport Blvd.
- Bouldin Creek Cafe, 1900 S 1st St.
- Brentwood Social House, 1601 W Koenig Lane
- Drink.Well, 207 E 53rd St.
- East Side King, 1618 E 6th St. and 2310 S Lamar Blvd.
- East Side Pies, multiple locations
- El Naranjo, 2717 S Lamar Blvd.
- Gelateria Gemelli, 1009 E 6th St.
- Hotel Vegas and Volstead Lounge, 1502 E 6th St.
- Joe's Bakery, 2305 E 7th St.
- Justine's Brasserie, 4710 E 5th St.
- L'Oca d'Oro, 1900 Simond Ave.
- Once Over Coffee, 2009 S 1st St.
- Rebel Cheese, 2200 Aldrich St.
- Salt & Time, 1912 E 7th St. and 422 W 5th St.
- Thai Kun, 11601 Rock Rose Ave.
- Kome, 5301 Airport Blvd.
- Soup Peddler, multiple locations
- At Stage 4 threshold, health officials recommend all Austinites mask up ›
- Austin bars, restaurants respond to Abbott's reopening order - austonia ›
- Some Austin businesses will keep masks despite Abbott's order ... ›
- Austin businesses resume mask mandates amid Stage 4 shift ... ›
- Pasta|Bar by award-winning chefs land in Texas - austonia ›
Show your love for Tito's and for the community this year with a wide selection of not that ugly, uglyish, ugly, uglier, and ugliest holiday sweaters.
There's lots choose from, and plenty of accessories like scarves and socks, plus gear for your dog, too.
All of the items can be purchased online or at the Love, Tito’s Retail Store in Austin, TX. 100% of all net proceeds from online or in-store purchases go to one of the nonprofits we’ve teamed up with.
🗓 All weekend
Check out this highly anticipated art exhibition with illuminated art along Waller Creek. Tickets are free and the event includes food vendors, dazzling lights, live music, and hands-on activities
All weekend 6 p.m - 10 p.m | 📍Waterloo Park
This iconic holiday tradition lights up for the first time this holiday season starting this weekend! Reserve your spot for an enchanting light and sound performance, delicious hot cocoa, sweet treats, and some overall fun with your friends or family. The show runs till January 6th.
6 p.m and 9 p.m | 📍Mozart's Coffee Roasters - 3825 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
This fitness event is free and open to the public. Get your morning started right with a "Fitness in the park" class for kickboxing! The class will be led by certified instructors and is a great way to get a cardio workout in while also honing your self-defense skills.
10 a.m - 11 a.m | 📍 Metz Park
Support local LBGTQ+ and female artists at this outdoor market with over 150 vendors. Get your holiday shopping out of the way at this event, with vendors for food trucks, handmade goods, raffles, hands on workshops and activities, and more.
Did someone say cheese?! If you're like me and always willing to get your hands on a bowl of mac and cheese, then this event is for you. Check out the Mac and Cheese festival happening this weekend to decide which vendor has. the best mac and cheese for yourself, and enjoy the bar with creative cocktails while you're at it. Tickets start at $45.
11 a.m - 3 p.m | 📍Lantana Place - 7415 Southwest Parkway