Those of us on Twitter know the Twitterverse is a little bit of everything, from your friends' random thoughts to a source for instant news (@austonianews). But sometimes you just need a break from the alerts and political discussions.
Here are eight Austin Twitter accounts that will add a little fun to your timeline.
Austin's own Major League Soccer team's Twitter account has announcements and giveaways that has attracted almost 30,000 followers.
Keep up with all things Austin FC by following this account. And if you want more Austin FC, you might want to consider following local support groups like @LosVerdesATX, @AustinAnthem and @LaMurgaATX.
It's official. #AustinFC loans @10_dominguez94 to @ClubGuarani to join Rodney Redes for the remainder of 2020. https://t.co/pkpsNFASMZ— Austin FC (@Austin FC)1598974696.0
Bringing you local brewery news, Craft Beer Austin has over 13,000 followers.
It releases weekly newsletters about the Austin beer scene, as well as posts about how to support local brewers.
🍺 Latest News & Events from Craft Beer Austin for 09/01/2020 🍻 - https://t.co/ziaQqIiWPF— 🍺 CraftBeerAustin.com🍺 (@🍺 CraftBeerAustin.com🍺)1598979949.0
The famous El Arroyo sign is an Austin trademark. It's quirky messages on the sign are beloved by many and you can see the fun messages on the Tex-Mex restaurants Twitter daily.
The account has over 15,000 followers.
Today and every day. https://t.co/d1mabeSWrG— El Arroyo (@El Arroyo)1599413305.0
A parody account of happenings in Austin, Evil Mopac has almost 20,000 followers.
Named after one of Austin's most disliked corridors, this account is worth the follow for a good laugh.
Austin on Labor Day during COVID... https://t.co/IuzXD7g093— Evil MoPac (@Evil MoPac)1599496018.0
The only account on this list with an actual face, Austinite Matthew McConaughey had to be included on this list.
With over 2 million followers, McConaughey stays true to his roots and posts about Austin FC, the Texas Longhorns and new projects he is working on.
1st class or no class. wear a mask #hookem @utaustin @texaslonghorns @texasfootball https://t.co/h2wikL1vL5— Matthew McConaughey (@Matthew McConaughey)1598446898.0
A blog that has grown to over 33,000 followers, Traces of Texas provides the rich history of Texas in its posts.
If you like history and love Texas, this account will sprinkle exactly that on your feed.
Reader George Hargrave shared this great Texas Ranger image. Says George "Texas Ranger Cpl. J. Walter Durbin (righ… https://t.co/6r2RHZXYio— Traces of Texas (@Traces of Texas)1599503554.0
Just like the original Barstool Sports account, Barstool Hook 'Em brings you sports entertainment, but related to the University of Texas.
It has over 20,000 followers.
You and your roommates on the first day of classes 🤘 https://t.co/f0mjK7EG7K— Barstool Hook ‘Em (@Barstool Hook ‘Em)1598469247.0
And last but not least, Yelp Austin provides business reviews from different people. It has over 11,000 followers.
You'll always know what local business you'll want to support by following this account.
"Awesome date idea! 512 Rage Room in #Kyle is taking all the right COVID precautions." Ashley and BF 'had a great t… https://t.co/eU7nyKlFcT— Yelp Austin (@Yelp Austin)1599412971.0
More social media content:
- Austin's amateur sleuths spotlight police violence - austonia ›
- Austin-based female influencers to follow on Instagram - austonia ›
- University of Texas Cabo 211 attacked on social media - austonia ›
- UT Austin students gathered without masks get blasted on social ... ›
Marisela Maddox is no stranger to the nanny game, having hired at-home caregivers in the past to help with her two children, ages 5 and 10.
- Austin parents weigh return to school without clear guidance ... ›
- Child care facilities can start up now, Abbott says; bars, bingo halls ... ›
- Day care centers face money woes even as Texas parents go back to ›
- Texas reinstates COVID-19 safety rules for child care centers ... ›
An Austin man was sentenced to 30 months in prison for stalking and sending threatening letters and emails to pop star Taylor Swift's former record label.
College athletes get a win with Election Day off every year, effort led by local NBA champ Chris Bosh
In a historic win for college athletes and voter advocates, led by former NBA champion and Austinite Chris Bosh, the NCAA voted this week to require an annual November Election Day "off day" for Division 1 student athletes to vote or volunteer in election activities if they choose.
The Austin Trail of Lights—an annual event that transforms Zilker Park into a winter wonderland, featuring more than 60 displays and two million lights—will take place this holiday season, despite the pandemic.
- Reeling from canceled festivals, Austin's small businesses find new ... ›
- ACL cancels 2020 event, will offer refunds - austonia ›
- Devastated Austin tourism may take years to recover - austonia ›
- Nearly 100 Austin festivals canceled, postponed or at risk as ... ›
- Mass events in Austin likely canceled through December, Escott says ›
Gov. Greg Abbott eases COVID business restrictions as Texas reports more new cases than any other state
In most of the state, businesses that had been limited to 50% capacity—including retail stores, restaurants, office buildings, libraries, museums and gyms—can move to 75% capacity starting on Monday, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced on Thursday. Bars must remain closed.
- Gov. Abbott pauses Texas reopening as COVID-19 cases surge ... ›
- Up next: gyms, yoga studios weigh cost of reopening - austonia ›
- Abbott: 'The worst is yet to come' in Texas COVID surge - austonia ›
- Restaurants, bars, breweries scramble to reinvent themselves to get ... ›
- Abbott closes Texas bars, tubing, reduces restaurants capacity ... ›