Jersey Number: 10
Hometown: Asunción, Paraguay
Former club: Club Guarani
On Aug. 24, 2020, forward Cecilio Dominguez became Austin FC's first-ever Designated Player.
The Paraguayan footballer came to the club after being loaned to Club Guarani, a team in Paraguay's Primera Division that also held Austin FC players Rodney Redes and Jhohan Romana on their roster, in 2020. With Guarani, Dominguez helped the team to the finals of the Copa Libertadores, South America's highest level of futbol competition, where he scored the deciding goal in the tournament opener.
Before Guarani, Dominguez was teammate Tomas Pochettino's rival at Club Atletico Independiente in Argentina. He was the club's record signing and proved his worth in his two seasons with the club, scoring eight goals in 29 league and 13 cup appearances.
Dominguez now has experience in four professional leagues, including Liga MX. Dominguez transferred to Club America in the league in 2017, where he racked up 21 goals in 74 appearances to be crowned 2018's Liga MX Apertura Champion.
Before Liga MX, Dominguez tallied up more titles in his home country's Primera Division with Cerro Porteño. Just as in 2020, Dominguez brought his team to the finals in the 2014 Copa Libertadores and was the joint-top scorer in both the 2016 Copa Sudamericana and the Torneo Clausura 2016.
Dominguez has also represented Paraguay 17 times internationally and has played for his home country's Under-17 and Under-20 club.
Dominguez has scored 73 goals in his career and has appeared in 288 matches. He's likely to only rack up more minutes as Designated Player for Austin's first professional team.
With Austin FC
Austin FC's second--ever signee was also one of its most distinguished to date. Dominguez joined the team in the summer of 2020 as the club's first Designated Player, and he's set to be the team's playmaker.
A talented attacking midfielder and left winger, Dominguez's decorated career has continued with the club. Dominguez scored twice in the team's La Copita preseason scrimmage against FC Dallas, and he's clearly an important piece to the team's attacking game.
The spotlight's certainly on Dominguez heading into the season, and Dominguez is pretty much locked in as the team's No. 10. Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff said that Cecilio is full of surprises and always ready for more.
"We're learning more about Cecilio every day," Wolff said. "What's great about Cecilio is he's taken in our information and tried to apply it in the ways that we've talked about, but he's also given his own interpretation and character."
Designated Players are one of three members of each roster that can be signed above the league's salary cap. While it's a lot of pressure to be one of the highest-paid members of the club, Dominguez said he considers himself just another player on the roster.
While he doesn't regard himself as any different than his teammates, he does recognize the pressure put on him as the team's offensive leader.
"It's a huge responsibility," Dominguez said. "I want to be the best version of myself and hopefully take this club to where it can be above and beyond."
Off the pitch
It's clear in countless photos and clips that Dominguez plays with passion, and his charisma has translated to this new team, Wolff said.
"He brings real character and quality to the group," Wolff said. "He's got a lively personality and he's super charismatic, but when he plays, he competes."
It's also obvious that Dominguez loves his son, Thiago, who can be seen spending time with his father on Dominguez's social media accounts.
Back at Club Guarani, Dominguez played alongside current teammates Jhohan Romana and Rodney Redes. In the journey from Paraguay to Austin, Dominguez told Marca.com he's bonded with his fellow forward.
"We are good friends. We understand each other a lot, we talk a lot," Dominguez said. "I think the whole Austin thing has made us closer, we talk both on and off the field."
For eight months, Dominguez and many others didn't play due to the pandemic. Dominguez said it was hard to be without his "passion" but that he is now even more excited to hit the pitch once again with Austin FC.
"Playing soccer, it's our passion, and to not have played it for a while, it's somewhat complicated," Dominguez said. "It's a privilege to be honest to play for Austin, and it'll be a historic day to finally play."
- Matthew McConaughey and Will Ferrell go head to head in Austin ... ›
- Before kickoff: the ultimate guide to all things Austin FC - austonia ›
- Julio Cascante comes from Portland Timbers to Austin FC - austonia ›
- Sebastian Berhalter is Austin FC's youngest team member - austonia ›
- Kekuta Manneh's says there's no place like Austin FC - austonia ›
- Ben Sweat brings years of MLS experience to Austin FC - austonia ›
- Austin FC midfielder Alex Ring was once NYCFC captain - austonia ›
- Rodney Redes brings young talent to Austin FC - austonia ›
- Austin FC's Daniel Pereira is the club's youngest starter - austonia ›
- Austin FC looks to score their first goal against the Colorado Rapids - austonia ›
- Jhohan Romana was unexpectedly picked up by Austin FC - austonia ›
- Diego Fagundez showed his Verde colors with Austin FC's first goal - austonia ›
- With a fast pass to the starting XI, Žan Kolmanič rises to the challenge - austonia ›
- Austin FC fights to keep a clean sheet at the half against Sporting KC - austonia ›
- Austin FC loses 2-1 after catastrophic red card - austonia ›
- Austin FC spends less than most first-year expansion teams - austonia ›
- Austin FC's players are from four different continents - austonia ›
- Austin FC signs young scoring prospect Moussa Djitte - austonia ›
- Austin FC fans' loyalties collide as Tigres head to Q2 - austonia ›
- Austin FC signs Owen Wolff as first Homegrown Player - austonia ›
- All MLS, Liga MX clubs to go head-to-head for Leagues Cup each summer starting in 2023 - austonia ›
- Austin FC signs MLS midfielder Ethan Finlay for 2022 season - austonia ›
- Austin FC's Cecilio Dominguez suspended before home match - austonia ›
- Details: Austin FC player Cecilio Dominguez's MLS suspension - austonia ›
- Austin FC's Cecilio Dominguez under MLS investigation amid abuse claims - austonia ›
Show your love for Tito's and for the community this year with a wide selection of not that ugly, uglyish, ugly, uglier, and ugliest holiday sweaters.
There's lots choose from, and plenty of accessories like scarves and socks, plus gear for your dog, too.
All of the items can be purchased online or at the Love, Tito’s Retail Store in Austin, TX. 100% of all net proceeds from online or in-store purchases go to one of the nonprofits we’ve teamed up with.
🗓 All weekend
Check out this highly anticipated art exhibition with illuminated art along Waller Creek. Tickets are free and the event includes food vendors, dazzling lights, live music, and hands-on activities
All weekend 6 p.m - 10 p.m | 📍Waterloo Park
This iconic holiday tradition lights up for the first time this holiday season starting this weekend! Reserve your spot for an enchanting light and sound performance, delicious hot cocoa, sweet treats, and some overall fun with your friends or family. The show runs till January 6th.
6 p.m and 9 p.m | 📍Mozart's Coffee Roasters - 3825 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
This fitness event is free and open to the public. Get your morning started right with a "Fitness in the park" class for kickboxing! The class will be led by certified instructors and is a great way to get a cardio workout in while also honing your self-defense skills.
10 a.m - 11 a.m | 📍 Metz Park
Support local LBGTQ+ and female artists at this outdoor market with over 150 vendors. Get your holiday shopping out of the way at this event, with vendors for food trucks, handmade goods, raffles, hands on workshops and activities, and more.
Did someone say cheese?! If you're like me and always willing to get your hands on a bowl of mac and cheese, then this event is for you. Check out the Mac and Cheese festival happening this weekend to decide which vendor has. the best mac and cheese for yourself, and enjoy the bar with creative cocktails while you're at it. Tickets start at $45.
11 a.m - 3 p.m | 📍Lantana Place - 7415 Southwest Parkway