Your daily dose of Austin
Smartphone image
×
Make your inbox more Austin.
Local news and fun, every day 6am.
UPDATE: Evacuations lifted as Bastrop fire hits 70% containment

(Austonia file photo)

All evacuated residents have been let back into their homes, while the 813-acre fire that sparked Tuesday at Bastrop State Park has been contained up to 70%. As of Wednesday afternoon, officials are saying there is "no threat" of fire breaching the containment line around it.


All residents were allowed to return home Wednesday after 6 p.m.

Fire crews and the Texas A&M Forest Service responded to the Rolling Pines Fire at 100 Park Road 1A on Tuesday, which is still burning but growth has plateaued. Crews asked more than 250 families in the area to evacuate on Tuesday and in a Wednesday morning press conference, officials said there is no active fire in the evacuated areas.

With high overnight humidity Tuesday and low winds early Wednesday, BCOEM said today will allow the hundreds of firefighters on-scene to continue the battle. Firefighters are focusing on the southern and southwestern containment lines, according to BCOEM.

While some evacuations have been lifted in the northern areas, the southern area remains closed for the safety of crews and residents. Officials said they believe that no residential structures have been damaged thus far.

According to the Bastrop County Office of Emergency Management, the wildfire sparked during a prescribed burn that took place Tuesday, despite wildfire warnings. Park Road 1C from Harmon Road to Park Road 1A had been closed for the prescribed burn.

According to Bastrop County Judge Paul Pape, there will be a full investigation into the cause of the fire once it has been extinguished.

"I do want to assure our citizens that having a controlled burn get out of hand is not acceptable in Bastrop County," Pape said. "We will be sure that we will get to the bottom of this and we will find out exactly what happened and what went wrong and how we can be better in the future."

Although the incident will be investigated, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Executive Director Carter Smith said prescribed burns are a "calculated risk" but remain a "critically important" tool to preventing wildfires. Smith said he is convinced the certified burn boss thought it was safe to carry out the fire.

"We have to manage fuel loads and fire risks with the strategic, judicious application of prescribed fire and we recognize to carry that out we need the trust and confidence and support of the community, this community," Smith said. "We will do everything we can to continue to earn the trust and support of this community as we go forward."

Crews worked through Tuesday night to control the flames, with officials saying the fire activity had "greatly reduced" at 10 p.m., and allowed them to create a containment line. Aviation crews were making water and retardant drops to slow the spread.

The blaze is in the same location as the Bastrop Complex Fire of 2011, which burned for 55 days, killing two people, destroying 34,000 acres and around 1,700 homes and buildings. The fire, which started in 2011, became the most destructive wildfire in Texas at the time.

A hotbed for fires, the Hidden Pines Fire started at the same location in 2015, destroying 4,600 acres and 64 structures.

Some road closures have been put in place at State Highway 21 South Shore Lake Bastrop and East State Highway 21.

This story was last updated at 4:00 a.m. Thursday. It will be updated as more information becomes available.

Popular

Airport braces for high traffic this month with ACL and F1 drawing in travelers

(AUS airport/Instagram)

With major entertainment events slated for October, the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is gearing up for a busy month.

Keep ReadingShow less
With deposition and trial looming, Elon Musk has offered $44B for Twitter, again
Shutterstock

Elon Musk has proposed once again to buy Twitter for $54.20 a share.

The news that Musk is offering to carry on with the $44 billion buyout was first reported by Bloomberg. Now, a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission shows Musk made the proposal in a letter to the tech giant on Monday.

The New York Stock Exchange temporarily halted trading in Twitter stock twice Tuesday, first because of a big price move and the second time for a news event, presumably the announcement of Musk's renewed offer.

While the per share offer price on this latest proposal remains the same as the original offer, it’s unclear if Musk has made other term changes or if Twitter would reject it. According to other reports, a deal could be reached this week.

The stock closed at $52.00/share Tuesday, indicating market uncertainty around the $54.20 offer.

After Musk informed Twitter of plans to terminate the original agreement in July, Twitter sued. A trial has been expected in Delaware Chancery Court on Oct. 17.

With the proposition of a buyout on the table again, it revives the question of whether Musk might move Twitter from San Francisco to Central Texas.

He’s done so with some of his other companies. Tesla’s headquarters in southeast Travis County had its grand opening earlier this year and tunneling business The Boring Company moved to Pflugerville. At least two other Musk companies, SpaceX and Neuralink, have a Central Texas presence without being headquartered here.

Technology journalist Nilay Patel this afternoon voiced concerns that owning Twitter and Tesla together could be problematic for Musk, as his Tesla manufacturing facilities in Germany and China are both in countries that have disputes with Twitter over content moderation and censorship.

Telsa shares fell after the Twitter news became public, before rallying to close up, at $249.44.