Move over Hollywood, Austin is taking the movie industry by storm, one indie film at a time.
SNL cast member and native Texan Andrew Dismukes stars alongside Christina Parrish in the film "Call Me Brother," an awkward, self-titled "incestuous comedy." The movie opens nationwide in "virtual theaters," or video-on-demand streaming services, on Nov. 6.
The film is a coming-of-age romantic comedy about a brother, Tony (Dismukes), and sister, Lisa (Parrish), who are reunited after years of separation for one weekend and struggle to confront feelings for each other. In unfortunate circumstances like divorced parents and immature friends, the teen siblings find comfort in each other.
While Dismukes often stars on SNL, this was his first appearance on the big screen.
Director David Howe said "Call Me Brother" is a raunchy film about the importance of sibling love and family.
"It's a story that balances taboo with legitimate sentimentality and challenges the audience to root for love in the face of adversity and awkwardness," Howe said. "Try to think of it as if John Waters made 'Napoleon Dynamite.'"
Written by Parrish, who is also from Austin, the film debuted at the Florida Film Festival in 2018 where it won a special jury award for Best Performance. It has since played at a host of other festivals, including the Chain Film Festival, where it won best ensemble, cast, director and narrative.
"This film features the best of Austin comedy all in one place and is a glimpse into the mind of Christina Parrish, Austin's freshest and most twisted stand-up comic," Howe said. "The world of the movie is unique and offbeat and was an absolute thrill to work in throughout filming and beyond."
Virtual theaters for Austin Film Society Cinema, Laemmle Theaters, Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas and The Violet Crown Theater will run screenings of "Call Me Brother" throughout November and December.
According to producer David Bukstein, details are being finalized for in-person screenings at Galaxy Highland 10 and the Blue Starlite Drive-In.
The roar of Austin FC fans will be heard soon, as the newest Major League Soccer member looks to kick off their season in a brand new stadium in 2021.
- CapMetro targets Austin FC fans about Project Connect stop - austonia ›
- Austin FC's 2021 debut season shines as bright spot for fans ... ›
- Austin FC fans to host Matthew McConaughey in memers-only Q n A ... ›
- Austin FC installs stadium seats, stadium opening in spring - austonia ›
- austin-fc - austonia ›
- 1 1/2 oz Tito's Handmade Vodka
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz pomegranate juice
- 1 maraschino cherry
You've seen and heard messaging from the city, transit opponents, and the big money PACs. You've probably read Emma Freer's in-depth, multi-part series, a fact-based exploration of Project Connect—and the tax rate election proposal, known as Proposition A, that would fund it—from multiple perspectives.
Chances are, if you moved to Austin in the past two years, it was probably for a tech job.
- Bay area tech workers eye moving to Austin post-pandemic - austonia ›
- Google delays returning to Austin offices as COVID-19 spikes ... ›
- Tech company Auctane signs lease at new Austin development ... ›
With films like Coco streaming on Disney+ and Day of the Dead Barbies lining Walmart shelves, it is clear that the commercial aspects of Dia de los Muertos are alive and well.
(Chris Caselli/Mexic-Arte Museum)
- 9 Austin business serving Halloween-inspired treats - austonia ›
- CDC guidelines for holidays in 2020 - austonia ›
- Zilker Park Holiday Tree installed, park closes for trail of lights ... ›
Today is going to be a windy one, according to The National Weather Service, which predicted breezy conditions in the Austin area and South Central Texas.
- Saharan dust storm expected to reach Texas this week - austonia ›
- For lovers of all things autumn: - austonia ›
- Hurricane Hanna brings flooding, power outages to southern Texas ... ›
In round figures the 18 active candidates running for the five seats on the Austin City Council raised a quarter-million dollars just in the last few weeks alone and they spent more than a half-million dollars during the same period. Total fundraising to date is nearly $1.2 million.