Located only three miles from the $1.1 billion Tesla Gigafactory now under construction in southeast Travis County, Del Valle High School graduates are the logical choice to fill the 5,000 jobs to be created by the endeavor.
A recent partnership between the Del Valle school district and Tesla has sparked an untraditional path for students to find employment while meeting the needs of the electric car maker.
"Right now we're actually having joint sessions with Tesla where we are giving our students information about what's available at Tesla," said Alex Torrez, the district's deputy chief workforce development officer on Wednesday. It was only the second day on the job for the former Ojeda Middle School principal; the new position was created to liaise between Del Valle students and Tesla.
Alex Torrez was hired by Dell Valle ISD to assist students who want a future at Tesla. (Alex Torrez)
Four information sessions were held via Zoom on April 20 and 21 for three groups of students:
- seniors who are ready to start their careers at Tesla
- seniors who want to continue their education while working for Tesla
- juniors who will have an opportunity to apply to an internship program at Tesla next year
Tesla representatives, who could not be reached after multiple attempts, provided students with a broad overview of the type of employment they can expect, such as rotating 12-hour shifts consisting of four days on and three days off followed by three days on and four days off, Torrez said. Participants had the option to complete interest forms for potential employment. A district job fair is also in the works for this summer and will include Tesla's human resources personnel.
"There are going to be different lines of work and the students need to take a look at what's available, and then apply for the different opportunities that exist and then be prepared to interview," Torrez said. He added he's sure the openings will include production associates; however, the district's students won't all be funneled into one particular type of job.
Tesla promised to hire Travis County residents for at least half of its open positions and pay a minimum hourly wage of $15 last summer in exchange for tens of millions of dollars in property tax breaks to build the newest Tesla facility in southeast Travis County that will begin operating later this year.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 22, 2019
Tesla CEO and recent Texas transplant Elon Musk has said on a number of occasions, he does not require Tesla workers to have a college degree and instead looks at skills set.
On March 31 Tesla Owners of Austin tweeted quotes from a recruiting executive at Tesla that stated the company is "well known for not requiring college degrees for some of its jobs," and is recruiting locally. So far, Del Valle is the only school district in Tesla's pilot program although the manufacturer is recruiting at Austin Community College, Huston-Tillotson University and the University of Texas, Torrez said.
High School Grads: You do not have to have a college degree to work for Tesla. You can work for Tesla straight out of high school. Chris Reilly of recruiting explains:https://t.co/K37yYNOidZpic.twitter.com/CgC7QJtSvN
— Tesla Owners of Austin (@AustinTeslaClub) March 31, 2021
Del Valle High School had 3,170 students as of the 2019-20 school year. About 70% of the school's students are identified as at risk of dropping out of school. However, Torrez said the actual dropout rate is only 0.5%, lower than the region and state. With 80% of its student body identified as economically disadvantaged, 96.7% of students received their high school diplomas on time or earlier.
Del Valle's staff is working with the car manufacturer to identify skills that will better help its students obtain jobs at the Austin-area facility. The plan includes coordinating those skills with the state's high school and college education standards, enabling students—through their coursework—to complete high school credits in conjunction with assisting them to be successful in a Tesla career.
"This is the launching pad for Tesla," Torrez said. "It's a really large factory and the potential for so many positive things is here. Next year, they're going to be here—we want our kids to be ready."
- Elon Musk says $1.1 billion Tesla factory will be in Austin - austonia ›
- Travis County offers Tesla incentives for Austin Gigafactory - austonia ›
- Tesla considering buying Austin site for new factory - austonia ›
- Del Valle ISD OKs Tesla tax deal for Austin factory - austonia ›
- New building seems to be in the works on Giga Texas site, records show - austonia ›
- Tesla can't sell directly to Texans unless law is uplifted - austonia ›
- Elon Musk to open Tesla restaurant after living in austin - austonia ›
- Tesla manufacturing program starts at Austin Community College - austonia ›
- Texas students' standardized test scores dropped dramatically - austonia ›
- Elon Musk files to sell Texas electricity - austonia ›
- Telsa obtains patent to use lasers as windshield wipers - austonia ›
- Tesla HQ looking more likely to follow Elon Musk to Austin - austonia ›
- Austin-based Tesla sees record deliveries in quarter 4 - austonia ›
- Giga Texas may start production of Model Y's this week - austonia ›
- Harold Green Road officially renamed to Tesla Road - austonia ›
- Cybertruck may not start production at Giga Texas until 2023 - austonia ›
- Tesla reports a record Q4 at shareholders call in jan. 2022 - austonia ›
- PHOTOS: Peek inside the Tesla Gigafactory producing Model Ys in Austin - austonia ›
- Elon Musk announces April 7 grand opening party for Giga Texas Tesla - austonia ›
- Tesla's mileage range on new Model Y lowers - austonia ›
- Tickets go on sale for Tesla Con Texas - austonia ›
- Grand opening of Giga Texas faces push back from the community - austonia ›
- Cyber Rodeo: what we know about the Giga Texas opening party - austonia ›
- Who will be attending the Giga Texas grand opening - austonia ›
- Excitement over Giga Texas opening continues at Tesla Con - austonia ›
- Tesla reports more than $3B in profit in early 2022 - austonia ›
- Travis County EV ownership is greater than the rest of Texas - austonia ›
- Tesla interviews Bastrop ISD students for jobs at Giga Texas - austonia ›
- Tesla offers travel support for employees leaving home state for abortions - austonia ›
- Austin environmental groups call on city to hold off on approving Tesla permits - austonia ›
- Austin metro sees one of the highest employment increases in U.S. over the past year - austonia ›
- Elon Musk sends strong message about wanting Tesla workers in the office - austonia ›
- Report: Elon Musk says Tesla needs to cut 10% of jobs - austonia ›
- After reports on cutting salaried Tesla employees, Elon Musk tweets their headcount will remain flat - austonia ›
- ACC's Rio Grande campus re-opens with a modern look that preserves the historical site - austonia ›
It's not on the level of LeBron signing with the Spurs, but who knows, maybe you'll see him at Guero's one day, having a Rob's Especial marg and a No. 1 dinner?
LeBron James, Draymond Green, Kevin Love, LeBron's business partner Maverick Carter, and a bunch of other sports-related investors are buying a Major League Pickleball expansion franchise.
Oddly, MLP teams aren't associated with places, so at this point it's just "an expansion team."
But Major League Pickelball is based in Austin, created, according to the Austin Business Journal, by Dreamland and Richard's Rainwater owner Steve Kuhn.
League investors include familiar Austin names like C3 Presents founders Charles Attal and Charlie Walker, Parsley Energy founder and partial Austin FC owner Brian Sheffield, Silicon Labs Chairman Nav Sooch, and pickleball enthusiast Brené Brown.
Camp Fimfo Waco, a brand new camping resort, is kicking off football and fall camping season in style! With top-notch amenities, premium accommodations, and 10 weekends of fall fun, there’s no better place to have a fall camping getaway, especially if you’re a Baylor football fan!
Fall promises to be a one-of-a-kind camping experience. From Sept. 16 to Nov. 24, weekends will be packed with fall-themed activities, including special Halloween weekends in October. Campers can enjoy activities like fall crafts, campground trick-or-treating, costume contests, site decorating, outdoor movie nights, and more!
Packages and Ways to Stay
Camp Fimfo Waco
Located just 5 miles from McLane Stadium, Camp Fimfo Waco is the perfect place to stay during home game weekends. Skip the stuffy hotel room and embrace the great outdoors before cheering on the Baylor Bears! Campers can purchase a Baylor Tailgating Package that includes a pre-game meal from Executive Chef Sean Kelley and transportation to and from the game! Chef Kelley will also be cooking up delicious, elevated tailgating meals near the stadium so make sure to check out The Plaid Plate food truck before the game.
Stay in style and comfort, no matter your camping preference! At Camp Fimfo Waco, there are multiple ways to stay. Red Carpet RV sites come with a concrete pad and patio, full hook-ups, cable hook-up, a charcoal grill, fire ring and fire pit. Back-in or pull-thru options are available, as well as coveted spots tucked along the Bosque River!
Don’t have an RV? Not a problem, Camp Fimfo Waco has cabins too! Book a Riverview Firewheel Cabin if you’re looking for an air-conditioned oasis for the whole family. Complete with a kitchen and private bathroom, this cabin can fit up to 10 people. Elevate your stay by adding on a golf cart or snag a private cabana by the pool for guaranteed shade. With wifi available throughout the park, you can stay connected during your stay!
Amenities and Activities
Camp Fimfo Waco
Camp Fimfo Waco features lots of amenities to fill your days with fun, whether you’re a kid or kid at heart. After challenging your friends to a game of pickleball, basketball, or mini golf, go for a dip in the resort-style, heated pool - open daily through October! Stay on the weekends through October to enjoy the interactive splash playground. With plenty of ways to burn off energy, like the jumping pillow or playground, you can be sure to end the day with a peaceful night around the campfire!
Right now, you can get the fourth night FREE when you book three nights with the promo code BONUS! Check out the Offers page for full details and more promo codes!