Austin and the Cybertruck: Tesla eyes Texas, home of the pickup, for Elon Musk's latest unique creation
If Tesla decides to bring its next factory to Austin, the unique-looking Cybertruck would be one of two models produced, and the electric carmaker is pitching it as a natural fit.
"I think you guys will really enjoy it down in Texas," Rohan Patel, Tesla's director of public policy and business development, told Travis County commissioners.
Both the Del Valle ISD school board and Travis County Commissioners Court are considering tax breaks for Tesla, which has proposed the $1.1 billion "Gigafactory" for a site in Southeast Austin and plans to hire 5,000 people to work there.
The vehicle features "a nearly impenetrable exoskeleton" made of stainless steel, "vault-like storage" and an "ability to pull near infinite mass," according to the company's website.
Now available for preorder, production of the Cybertruck is expected to begin in late 2022. The price ranges from $39,900 to $69,900, depending on the motor type, with a self-driving add-on available for $8,000.
When Tesla CEO Elon Musk unveiled the Cybertruck on Nov. 21 at an event in Los Angeles, it prompted much feedback on its design.
I don't understand what the fuss is about the Tesla #Cybertruck. It looks ok to me. https://t.co/8vBl1jS74T— dave appleby (@dave appleby)1574401722.0
But others are enamored with the vehicle.
First, I thought it was a joke, then I thought it was ugly, then I thought it was interesting, then I was obsessed… https://t.co/3SINCp1fhd— Michael Fink (@Michael Fink)1593316630.0
A Cybertruck recently went on display at the Petersen Automotive Museum in L.A.
We are honored to have @mayemusk and @ToscaMusk, and @drsabrinakay visit the @Tesla #Cybertruck during our reopenin… https://t.co/0qeawgWMaL— Petersen Museum (@Petersen Museum)1592864729.0
The proposed factory would also produce the company's Model Y, a midsize SUV, for East Coast markets, Musk tweeted on March 10.
Scouting locations for Cybertruck Gigafactory. Will be central USA.— Elon Musk (@Elon Musk)1583885524.0
If approved by DVISD and Travis County commissioners, construction could begin on the factory as soon as this fall.
- Travis County considers Tesla incentives deal, unions react - austonia ›
- Tesla may get $60 million in tax breaks to bring factory to Austin ... ›
- Tesla asks Travis County for 20-year property tax rebate deal ... ›
- Five reasons why Elon Musk and Grimes should choose Austin ... ›
- Elon Musk seeks to fast-track $1.1 billion Tesla factory in Austin ... ›
- What Tulsa offers Elon Musk for Tesla's next 'Gigafactory' - austonia ›
- Tesla eyes Austin and Tulsa for Cybertruck production, report says ... ›
- Tesla Cybertruck factory bakeoff pits Tulsa against Austin | Fortune ›
- Tesla Homes In on Austin, Texas, for Cybertruck Plant Site ... ›
- Talk of Tesla setting up in Austin strengthens - Austin Business Journal ›
- Tesla Austin: A timeline of events | kvue.com ›
A second, stronger cold front is expected to hit tonight—bringing chilly weather through at least the rest of the week and rainy weather through Wednesday.
- Flash flood warning for Austin through midday Friday - austonia ›
- austin, texas haze due to cool front coming in - austonia ›
- Austin may see fall weather, cold front in next few days - austonia ›
Sen. Kamala Harris, Democratic vice presidential candidate, will make a campaign stop in Texas on Friday—the last day of early voting in the state—according to an email sent to Democratic lawmakers.
- election-2020 - austonia ›
- Pence denies voter suppression during debate after Abbott limits ... ›
- Kamala Harris and Meghan Markle headline blockbuster final day of ... ›
As fall progresses, Texas public school superintendents are realizing that virtual instruction simply is not working for thousands of students across the state.
The Travis Central Appraisal District has identified a new market data source that will allow it to reappraise residential properties in 2021 after a legal dispute with the Austin Board of Realtors prevented the district from doing so this year.
- City of Austin home sales down 33% in April, but prices rise sharply ... ›
- Appraisal review board plans for pandemic-era hearings - austonia ›
- Coronavirus pushes TCAD online as appraisal district prepares for ... ›
Austin's self-made millionaire Kendra Scott turned the city skyline yellow this week in celebration of her "Shark Tank" debut.
- Austin Kendra Scott selling earrings designed by UT students ... ›
- Kendra Scott to begin teaching at the University of Texas soon ... ›
- Local billionaire Kendra Scott takes seat on ABC Shark Tank ... ›
43% of registered voters have cast their ballots in Travis County—with eight days of early voting to go
More than 43% of registered Travis County residents voted early in person or had their mail-in ballots received between Oct. 13 and Thursday, with eight more days to go before the early voting period ends on Oct. 30.
- Travis County sees near-record turnout on first day of early voting ... ›
- Austin businesses reward you for voting early in Travis County ... ›
- Where to vote early in Travis County in the 2020 election - austonia ›
- Travis County's early voting polling places ranked by turnout - austonia ›
- Travis County sees high turnout on first day of early voting - austonia ›
Saturday, the Texas Longhorns will face one of its oldest rivals—Baylor—in a matchup that has all the makings of a do-or-die game for the Longhorn season.
- Texas Longhorns jump into AP's top 10 after Saturday win - austonia ›
- Excitement, tensions build as Austin expects 18k fans at first Texas ... ›