Self-proclaimed "Crypto Queen" Grimes made nearly $6 million to kick off her Sunday by selling her newest artwork, a series of crypto-art pieces titled "WarNymph."
The pieces, which feature cherub warriors protecting post-apocalyptic planets, went on sale Sunday at 1 p.m for 48 hours.
Dropping NFTs tomorrow at 2pm EST. enter the void pic.twitter.com/l9fNFUCheX
— ☘︎𝔊𝔯𝔦𝔪𝔢𝔰 (@Grimezsz) February 28, 2021
In 20 minutes, Grimes, musician, artist and girlfriend of Elon Musk, reached $5.8 million in sales from the auction. By noon Monday, all pieces were sold out except for one, "Death of the Old," which is currently bidding for $250,000. Some works, including "The Newborn 2," are being resold for as much as $2.5 million.
According to her artwork's page, WarNymph "explores the fluidity of identity in the virtual age: the ability to create, augment, and splinter ourselves into unlimited avatars, create boundless worlds, and build rich, complex lore."
Each artwork features winged babies in various forms: protecting Mars, sitting atop thrones and wielding weapons including bows and arrows or blood-red spears.
👼"Death of the Old" -@Grimezsz x @MacBoucher1 👼
The first of her kind, #WarNymph is a digital entity spliced from a pixel DNA of the organic human, Grimes.🧬
The journey into the #Oth3rkin Universe starts here: https://t.co/ccliYhMW1q & https://t.co/AgVLsy1eD8
Who's ready?🔥 pic.twitter.com/lf4mer4XOE
— Nifty Gateway (@niftygateway) February 28, 2021
All of the works are examples of a new cryptocurrency called non-fungible tokens, or NFTs. NFTs have surged in popularity in recent weeks as other cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin continue to take off. Unlike Bitcoin, however, NFTs cannot be traded for one another or broken down into smaller values. Instead, they serve as a form of collectibles that stand on their own as individualized collector's items.
Brands such as Nike and Louis Vuitton have already begun creating virtual assets for their consumers, while celebrities including Lindsay Lohan have sold NFTs for thousands of dollars. The NBA, which made the platform NBA Top Shot, has already sold $270 million worth of NFTs in the form of unique NBA video highlights.
NFTs have to be bought using other cryptocurrencies such as Ethereum's Ether or World Asset eXchange. The currency is predicted to continue to skyrocket in value as creators make products for virtual reality technologies.
According to Grimes, there's more where this came from. WarNymph is part of a bigger whole—an entire virtual universe Grimes has titled Oth3rkin that the singer will continue to work on with her brother, Mac Boucher.
Some proceeds from the project are going toward reducing carbon emissions via nonprofit organization Carbon 180. Billionaire Texan transfer Musk, is passionate about the subject as well.
The artworks were sold using NFT trading site Nifty Gateway.
- Elon Musk confirms he's moved to Texas - austonia ›
- Elon Musk's Neuralink startup is hiring in Austin, Texas - austonia ›
- Elon Musk, Joe Rogan and Dave Chappelle walk into Stubb's BBQ ... ›
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk moves foundation to Texas - austonia ›
- Daniel Johnston Hi, How Are You NFT for auction in austin - austonia ›
- Blockcap, a cryptocurrency company, moves to Austin with plans for growth - austonia ›
- Elon Musk headlines SNL to mixed reviews - austonia ›
- Austin's Outdoor Voices' Ty Haney starts blockchain, crypto business - austonia ›
- Meet the people behind Austin's emerging NFT scene - austonia ›
- Elon Musk and Grimes break up - austonia ›
- Austin leads in Texas crypto job market - austonia ›
- From 'NiftyHorns' to the USMNT: 5 sports NFTs kicking off in Austin's growing crypto-verse - austonia ›
- Local investors create ATX DAO, where crypto meets community - austonia ›
- $10 million Austin NIL scholarship fund to help Longhorn athletes cash in on new sponsorships - austonia ›
- Austin crypto, nfts, bitcoin billboards set to reach worldwide - austonia ›
- Where Austin falls in the switch to Web3 - austonia ›
- Bitcoin miners slow down Texas operations over grid worries - austonia ›
- Grimes reveals secret baby, a daughter, with Elon Musk - austonia ›
Show your love for Tito's and for the community this year with a wide selection of not that ugly, uglyish, ugly, uglier, and ugliest holiday sweaters.
There's lots choose from, and plenty of accessories like scarves and socks, plus gear for your dog, too.
All of the items can be purchased online or at the Love, Tito’s Retail Store in Austin, TX. 100% of all net proceeds from online or in-store purchases go to one of the nonprofits we’ve teamed up with.
🗓 All weekend
Check out this highly anticipated art exhibition with illuminated art along Waller Creek. Tickets are free and the event includes food vendors, dazzling lights, live music, and hands-on activities
All weekend 6 p.m - 10 p.m | 📍Waterloo Park
This iconic holiday tradition lights up for the first time this holiday season starting this weekend! Reserve your spot for an enchanting light and sound performance, delicious hot cocoa, sweet treats, and some overall fun with your friends or family. The show runs till January 6th.
6 p.m and 9 p.m | 📍Mozart's Coffee Roasters - 3825 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
This fitness event is free and open to the public. Get your morning started right with a "Fitness in the park" class for kickboxing! The class will be led by certified instructors and is a great way to get a cardio workout in while also honing your self-defense skills.
10 a.m - 11 a.m | 📍 Metz Park
Support local LBGTQ+ and female artists at this outdoor market with over 150 vendors. Get your holiday shopping out of the way at this event, with vendors for food trucks, handmade goods, raffles, hands on workshops and activities, and more.
Did someone say cheese?! If you're like me and always willing to get your hands on a bowl of mac and cheese, then this event is for you. Check out the Mac and Cheese festival happening this weekend to decide which vendor has. the best mac and cheese for yourself, and enjoy the bar with creative cocktails while you're at it. Tickets start at $45.
11 a.m - 3 p.m | 📍Lantana Place - 7415 Southwest Parkway