Austin's reputation as "Little California" just got more real: Hollywood film production company Line 204 Studios announced plans to plant a 546-acre film studio and movie-making facility in Bastrop.
The company, which specializes in movie props, stages and other filmmaking tools for rent, said the new facility will have sound stages, an RV park, a beach, a golf course, a harbor, a ranch and backlit movie sets. The studio would also come with restaurants, event spaces and lodging.
While the plan hasn't been approved by Bastrop City Council, the Bastrop Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval for the project on June 3. The development plan, dubbed Bastrop 552, places the facility in a bend in the Colorado River south of Bastrop near Highway 304.
The entertainment hub would provide more than star power to the area. Over 1,400 jobs in addition to 700 construction jobs will be created by the project, and the studio is expected to bring in $2 billion to the local economy in the first decade, the company said during the June 3 meeting.
Line 204 Studios said they are eager to boost the local economy and bring Hollywood-style movie production to the Austin area.
"The community has expressed a unique desire to develop and strengthen the film industry here in Central Texas, and we believe this unique and environmentally friendly project will drive economic growth and contribute to Bastrop's future success," the company wrote on June 4.
While many approved of the project, some worry that the studio could hurt Bastrop's small-town feel, affecting traffic, noise and the environment.
If approved, the studio will join Troublemaker Studios, owned by acclaimed filmmaker and Austinite Robert Rodriguez; Rodriguez, along with director Richard Linklater, are bringing in stars Ben Affleck and Alice Braga for upcoming film "Hypnotic" filming in Austin later this year. As the city grows, so does its film influence with films and shows making Austin the set of choice.
Read more on film:
- Rodriguez will film "Hypnotic" in Austin this July - austonia ›
- Ben Affleck, Alice Braga film thriller 'Hypnotic' in Austin - austonia ›
- Little California: Techsodus transplants love Austin, but does the city ›
- Behind the scenes: 7 movies filmed in Austin, Texas - austonia ›
- Celebrities who moved to austin, texas in 2020, and those to move ... ›
- San Francisco Chronicle say Californians driving Austin's housing boom - austonia ›
- HBO, Netflix lease space in Austin ahead of TV projects - austonia ›
- Robotics SISU says its robots are like playing a video game - austonia ›
- Bastrop 552 film studio set for 2023 opening - austonia ›
- Austin's 'boomtown' growth may be cooling, U-Haul data shows - austonia ›
- Californians consider their future in Austin - austonia ›
- Blue Starlite expands drive-in theater to North Austin's Garbo's - austonia ›
- More people moving to Dallas, Houston San Antonio than Austin - austonia ›
- Austin gets its own Hollywood sign visible from 360 Bridge - austonia ›
- 'Silk Road': Ross Ulbricht movie filmed in Austin by Tiller Russell ›
- Movies Filmed in Austin and Where to Stream Them - 365 Things ... ›
- Top 30 Highest Grossing Movies Filmed in Austin - Cognitive Films ›
- Robert Rodriguez's Ben Affleck Film 'Hypnotic' Due To Start ... ›
- Robert Rodriguez: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Director ›
Show your love for Tito's and for the community this year with a wide selection of not that ugly, uglyish, ugly, uglier, and ugliest holiday sweaters.
There's lots choose from, and plenty of accessories like scarves and socks, plus gear for your dog, too.
All of the items can be purchased online or at the Love, Tito’s Retail Store in Austin, TX. 100% of all net proceeds from online or in-store purchases go to one of the nonprofits we’ve teamed up with.
🗓 All weekend
Check out this highly anticipated art exhibition with illuminated art along Waller Creek. Tickets are free and the event includes food vendors, dazzling lights, live music, and hands-on activities
All weekend 6 p.m - 10 p.m | 📍Waterloo Park
This iconic holiday tradition lights up for the first time this holiday season starting this weekend! Reserve your spot for an enchanting light and sound performance, delicious hot cocoa, sweet treats, and some overall fun with your friends or family. The show runs till January 6th.
6 p.m and 9 p.m | 📍Mozart's Coffee Roasters - 3825 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
This fitness event is free and open to the public. Get your morning started right with a "Fitness in the park" class for kickboxing! The class will be led by certified instructors and is a great way to get a cardio workout in while also honing your self-defense skills.
10 a.m - 11 a.m | 📍 Metz Park
Support local LBGTQ+ and female artists at this outdoor market with over 150 vendors. Get your holiday shopping out of the way at this event, with vendors for food trucks, handmade goods, raffles, hands on workshops and activities, and more.
Did someone say cheese?! If you're like me and always willing to get your hands on a bowl of mac and cheese, then this event is for you. Check out the Mac and Cheese festival happening this weekend to decide which vendor has. the best mac and cheese for yourself, and enjoy the bar with creative cocktails while you're at it. Tickets start at $45.
11 a.m - 3 p.m | 📍Lantana Place - 7415 Southwest Parkway