University of Texas athletes cashed in on over $2 million in the year since collegiate athletes have been cleared to make name, image and likeness deals, according to UT records.
Records obtained by the Austin American-Statesman show that 154 Longhorns sealed 418 NIL deals for a total of $2,039,180 from August 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022.
Here's how each sport stacked up:
- 94 football athletes racked up nearly $900k in NIL deals, including one contract worth $60k and three deals worth $50k apiece. While UT is not allowed to disclose names associated with compensation, UT star running back Bijan Robinson made waves with six major NIL deals, including a recent contract with Lamborghini Austin.
- Softball earned its fair share as well with the second-highest NIL value of $295,790 spread among 64 deals.
- Men's and women's swimming and diving programs each earned around $250k each.
- Men's basketball athletes inked 71 deals for a grand total of $158,585.
- And volleyball was the final sport to crack $100k with 26 contracts and over $105k in cash.
And while some worry that the new NIL territory could become a hotbed for new recruiting strategies, using deals to entice new athletes is still illegal per NCAA rules.
“Everything that we’ve done, we’ve run by the NCAA to let them know what’s taken place," Texas Athletic Director Chris Del Conte told the Statesman.
- From 'NiftyHorns' to the USMNT: 5 sports NFTs kicking off in Austin's ... ›
- Former UT diver Alison Gibson competing at Tokyo Olympics ... ›
- Like the pros: Texas college athletes can now profit off of their name ... ›
- Pancake Factory to offer $50K to Longhorn lineman using name ... ›
- Former UT athlete weighs in on the challenges ahead from college ... ›
- $10 million Austin NIL scholarship fund to help Longhorn athletes ... ›
Elon Musk has placed an order for a new, top-of-the-line private jet: a Gulfstream G700, Austonia has learned. Delivery is expected in early 2023.
Billed as offering “the most spacious cabin in history,” the aircraft seats 19 and soars above the rest of us at up to 51,000 feet. Base price: $78 million.
The Gulfstream G700 was awarded the 2022 International Yacht & Aviation Award for excellence in cabin design this year. (Gulfstream)
According to the Gulfstream website, the G700 can fly up to 7,500 nautical miles without refueling, enough range to fly nonstop from Austin to Hong Kong. Powered by two Rolls-Royce engines, it has its own Wi-Fi system, 20 oval windows measuring 28” x 21”, and two lavatories.
The sweet new ride will replace his current top-of-line private jet: a 2015 Gulfstream G650, the aircraft that has been made somewhat famous by the automated @elonjet Twitter account, which tracks and reports his personal aircraft’s movements using public data.
Landed in Austin, Texas, US. Apx. flt. time 44 Mins. pic.twitter.com/jZ7HI0i4iV
— ElonJet (@ElonJet) June 24, 2022
Musk has repeatedly championed “free speech” as a guiding ethic in his planned purchase of Twitter. Last December, Musk offered the teenager who built the @elonjet tracker $50,000 to shut it down, citing security concerns. It’s still up.
According to the @elonjet account, Musk’s jet last traveled to Austin, where it’s been since June 23. The associated data says that his flight to Austin burned $2,573 worth of aviation fuel and discharged 4 tons of carbon dioxide.
- Elon Musk's Austin residence is $12 million Lake Austin home ... ›
- Elon Musk challenges the Kremlin to a fight on Twitter - austonia ›
- Grimes reveals secret baby, a daughter, with Elon Musk - austonia ›
- Elon Musk reportedly bringing new Australian actress girlfriend to ... ›
- Elon Musk attends Charro Days festivities in South Texas - austonia ›
Enjoy live music all weekend long and check out the hotels’ state-of-the-art amenities between sets. Make a splash in the pool, enjoy outdoor fire pits, or challenge your friends in a yard game while enjoying a weekend full of live music! Did we mention the package includes deluxe accommodations and a bucket of beer? Oh, and if you needed more convincing, this pet-friendly hotel means the whole family can join in on the fun.
Explore any of the Court Hotels by Valencia Hotel Group for a memorable escape. Each property offers a unique experience remnant of yesteryear but with all of the modern amenities that make for a fun and comfortable stay. With acres of landscaped courtyards, relax and unwind in an outdoor environment perfect for doing everything or absolutely nothing at all. With locations in Austin, College Station, Irving, and Lubbock your urban retreat has never been so close.
Locals and travelers alike are invited to enjoy the deep roots of Texas music all summer long with a robust lineup of live performances. From the banks of the San Antonio Riverwalk to Irving’s manicured streets, Valencia’s hotels are a place to gather and reconnect, offering uniquely Texan settings for the weekly performances.
“We’re proud of the community we’ve fostered among Texas musicians and the many rising stars who perform at our properties,” says Amy Trench, corporate director of brand marketing & PR for Valencia Hotel Group.
With unique programming at each of Valencia’s properties, there’s something for everyone to enjoy all summer long.
If you’re a Valencia Hotel Group Rewards member, the perks are plentiful. Enjoy up to 10% off the Best Available Rate, and for a limited time, members can save up to 15% off a stay of 2 nights or more, for select stays in 2022.
But that’s really just the beginning. At select locations, you can enjoy discounts on weeknight stays, a complimentary third night, or curated packages for a romantic getaway or a night of watching the Verde at Q2 Stadium. You’ll also find special rates for AAA and AARP Members, educators, and front-line heroes including military, law enforcement, fire, and rescue workers.