Welcome to austonia.com, a new local news site for Austin. We're an authentically local company—Austin stories, Austin people, Austin advertisers. News, trends, media, topics, people. No paywalls. We cover the changes that are reshaping our city. To get connected, sign up for our free daily AM newsletter update.
With an endless number of podcasts out there, how does anyone decide what to listen to? Start with the homegrown. We've put together this list of 12 local—or nearly local—podcasts you won't want to miss.
Native Texan and visiting McComb's professor Brené Brown, known to some as America's therapist, talks weekly with celebrities, authors and thinkers on topics ranging from books and movies to current events and big themes of the moment.
This podcast covers Austin's local do-gooders and non-profits. Faith in humanity restored!
Nightlight is a horror podcast that features fiction stories about murders, monsters and more.
Hosted by a group of supporters, Austin Anthem Podcast is the longest-running podcast about Austin FC, Austin's new and only Major League Soccer team.
John Hanson Jr. hosts and produces In Black America, where he interviews civil rights leaders, educators, athletes and more on the black experience in America.
Media ATX founders Tom Cheredar and Josh Rubin talk about local Austin media industry news in the Media Monday Show!
Lance Armstrong hosts The Forward, where he interviews a range of personalities on sports, politics, entertainment and more.
With a cast of kids and seasoned actors, Quaranteen'd is a virtual, all-ages audio treasure hunt.
The Beerists is produced by a group of beer-lovers in Austin who meet up weekly to judge five different beers from around the world.
The Night Owl Podcast features true stories of hauntings, mysteries and paranormal activities.
Hosted by comedians Austin Smartt and Arielle Norman, Gender Fluids dives into the depths of gender and sexuality.
- Austin's Hodgepodge Media rethinks its plan for a new kids podcast ... ›
- Will Joe Rogan move his $100 million podcast to Austin? - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan moving to Austin, Texas next month says Joe Diaz - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan buys Lake Austin home for new studio, HQ in Austin, Texas - austonia ›
- Longhorns may have fall season: Big 12, SEC, ACC still hoping to play in 2020 - reports - austonia ›
- Manley meets with Mellow Johnny's staff at Lance Armstrong's request - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan posts podcast studio as he makes move to Austin - austonia ›
- Saturday Night Live adds UT alumnus Andrew Dismukes to cast - austonia ›
Austin FC is one seat closer to opening the doors to its new stadium for the 2021 Major League Soccer season.
I'm very proud and pleased to tell you that the Austonia team has been selected as a finalist for a nationwide award—Best Emerging (New) Publisher, from the Local Independent Online News Publishers association, the industry group for local digital news sites like ours.
View the 2020 LION awards finalists here.
Recognition like this from our peer group motivates us to work even harder on our mission of connecting you to our ever-changing city.
Thanks to each of you for supporting us. If you like what we're doing, you can help us by forwarding articles to your friends, posting on social media and signing up for our daily AM newsletter.
By Stacy Fernandez
Texas joined the Trump administration's lawsuit against Google, accusing the tech giant of monopolizing the search engine market and controlling how online ads are bought and sold, according to the suit filed Tuesday morning.
Researchers at the COVID-19 Modeling Consortium at the University of Texas at Austin predict there is a 96% chance the COVID-19 pandemic is growing in Austin.
- Flu season: Austin health officials are focused on vaccines - austonia ›
- Austin COVID cases, hospitalizations decline despite recent uptick ... ›
- Travis County sees decline in COVID-19 cases amid reopening ... ›
- Everything we know about COVID-19 in Austin right now - austonia ›
- COVID-19 'does spread silently' as Austin hits record high - austonia ›
Popular podcaster—and new Austin resident—Joe Rogan canceled all podcast episodes for this week just days after the controversial music artist Kanye West teased that he would be on the show.
- Joe Rogan's new home is a $14 million mansion on Lake Austin ... ›
- Joe Rogan posts podcast studio as he makes move to Austin ... ›
- EXCLUSIVE: Joe Rogan teases new Texas podcast studio; locals ... ›
- The names behind the Joe Rogan podcast studio - austonia ›
- Timeline of Joe Rogan moving to Austin - austonia ›
The parent company of the Austin American-Statesman is reportedly asking some employees to accept voluntary buyouts.
- Citizen smartphone app already has 50,000 Austin users - austonia ›
- Austin social media App TUBBR launched - austonia ›
- 7 Austin American-Statesman newsroom staffers laid off - austonia ›
About 50,000 Austin-area users have already downloaded Citizen, a smartphone app that reports real-time police and emergency medical threats. Austin is already one of Citizen's most popular cities since the company soft-launched here late last year.
- Empty streets = lower crime but Austin police say it won't last - austonia ›
- Attorneys for Austin riot police, Ramos shooter say 'zero crimes ... ›
- Austin has 53 percent more homicides in first seven months ... ›
- Save Austin Now calls on attorney in fight over Austin no-camping ... ›
- Austin American-Statesman offers employees voluntary buyouts - austonia ›