Good times have faded at the TarryTown Shopping Center, the once-thriving neighborhood hub where animal rights activist Jeanne Daniels has pushed out local favorites
Tarrytown's Casis Village shopping center is buzzing with activity on a crisp Sunday afternoon in December. Customers flock to Randall's to check off their grocery lists, grab seasonal lattes from Starbucks and peruse the center's various thrifty boutiques and jewelry stores for Christmas gift inspiration.
For many longtime Austinites, the bustling plaza may bring back memories of the former glory of one of the city's most famous and controversial shopping centers, which has since been reduced to a ghost town by its authoritarian landlord.
A cave-like room with electric red walls and blue light fixtures is the new home to the $100 million podcast of new Austin resident Joe Rogan. And who would Rogan trust to construct this room? None other than his fellow Austinites.
Timeline of Joe Rogan moving to Texas:<iframe src='https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timeline3/latest/embed/index.html?source=1xcjrf3UE-CwaDUPZs-m1o1gL2HI8bsJzyJuR1ztH8z0&font=Default&lang=en&initial_zoom=2&height=650' width='100%' height='650' webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen frameborder='0'></iframe>
- Joe Rogan posts podcast studio as he makes move to Austin ... ›
- UPDATED 8/9 Joe Rogan moving to Austin, Texas next month says ... ›
- EXCLUSIVE: Joe Rogan teases new Texas podcast studio; locals ... ›
- Could a presidential debate be led by Joe Rogan in Austin? - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan's new home is a $14 million mansion on Lake Austin - austonia ›
- 'Iconoclast' Joe Rogan is in Austin, political views hard to define - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan cancels podcast episodes this week, including possible Kanye West interview - austonia ›
- Minister of Culture Matthew McConaughey talks preserving Austin culture on Joe Rogan podcast - austonia ›
- New Austinite Joe Rogan visits the Governor's Mansion - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan surprises Big Laugh Comedy with show - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan episode talks about socialism - austonia ›
- Black Pumas bring Austin music to the VP inaugural fundraising roster - austonia ›
At least 13 former and current University of Texas students were arrested and charged in connection with trafficking counterfeit prescription drugs laced with fentanyl and methamphetamines to UT students in Austin.
- Austin murder total hits 10-year high in 2020 - austonia ›
- Abbott threatens action from Texas Legislature after Austin cuts ... ›
- Citizen smartphone app already has 50,000 Austin users - austonia ›
- Texas marijuana advocates aim for legalization - austonia ›
A decade ago, Barton Hills resident Mark Sprague could not have imagined his community now commands home prices that can soar above $3 million.
But times have changed.
- Photo story: Austin's 'Party Island' on Lady Bird Lake - austonia ›
- Austin's high-rise dwellers say density is not a problem ... ›
- Alex Jones goes viral yelling at lifeguards at greenbelt entrance ... ›
- Two different school districts start educating in a pandemic - austonia ›
- Bay area tech workers eye moving to Austin post-pandemic - austonia ›
- Gentrification in East 11th St. Austin pushes out Black people - austonia ›