Two things will carry over from South by Southwest 2020 into SXSW 2021: the festival will remain virtual and the guests will be VIPs.
SXSW announced on Tuesday that none other than talk show host and philanthropist Oprah Winfrey herself, joined by Dr. Bruce Perry, will kick off SXSW Edu as keynote speakers. The pair will speak in a session titled "Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Bruce Perry In Conversation" at 9:30 a.m. March 9.
Joining forces at SXSW Edu, a portion of the festival that focuses on "learning and discovery for all education stakeholders," Winfrey and Perry will discuss their upcoming book, "What Happened to You?: Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing," which will be released in April.
Though Winfrey is a household name, Perry made a name for himself as a psychiatrist and expert in brain development and trauma. In addition to running the Neurosequential Network, he is also a senior fellow of the ChildTrauma Academy in Houston, Texas, and an adjunct professor at Northwestern University.
Winfrey said she experienced a fundamental shift the first time she heard Perry speak about trauma-informed education.
"I knew I wanted to learn more, study more, and share his work with as many people as I could," Winfrey said. "I look forward to our conversation at SXSW Edu with educators who understand the long-term impact of addressing trauma from this lens."SXSW Edu will be held virtually from March 9-11; you can find more information here.
More on SXSW:
- SXSW announces virtual annual event with Keynote Willie Nelson ... ›
- SXSW goes virtual for 2021, possible in-person event - austonia ›
- emmanuel-acho - austonia ›
- 'Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man' book - austonia ›
Self-proclaimed "Crypto Queen" Grimes made nearly $6 million to kick off her Sunday by selling her newest artwork, a series of crypto-art pieces titled "WarNymph."
- Elon Musk confirms he's moved to Texas - austonia ›
- Elon Musk's Neuralink startup is hiring in Austin, Texas - austonia ›
- Elon Musk, Joe Rogan and Dave Chappelle walk into Stubb's BBQ ... ›
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk moves foundation to Texas - austonia ›
An unknown buyer will soon be living the dream after purchasing Austin's most expensive home—a nearly nine-acre property complete with a luxurious glass-walled mansion and a private lagoon in West Austin.
- Is the "Texodus" over for storm-damaged Austin? - austonia ›
- California tech employees move to austin for business and way of ... ›
- What billionaires like Elon Musk look for in Austin real estate - austonia ›
- Joe Rogan's new home is a $14 million mansion on Lake Austin ... ›
More vaccines could be headed to Austin as FDA greenlights single-shot Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccine
This story was updated Monday to include that the vaccine received official approval by the FDA this weekend.
The Food and Drug Administration approved the single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine that is to be shipped out this month, increasing the number of vaccines available.
In a virtual meeting on Friday, the FDA Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee unanimously approved of the U.S.'s third available COVID-19 vaccine, which was officially approved on Saturday. Federal officials say 4 million doses will go out nationally this week, with an expected 20 million doses to be available by the end of March. The Texas Department of State Health Services has said it expects to receive about 200,000 doses, but has not released a timeline of when doses will be shipped and available.