Defending state football champion Westlake High School kicks off their season with a 53-7 win against Schertz's Clemens High School on Friday. A season like no other for athletes everywhere, COVID-19 safety precautions were taken with limited fans and social distancing in the stands and masks being worn by everyone in attendance.
Here's a look at Friday's game.
Parent Raleigh Taylor checks tickets at the entry of the Chaparral Stadium. Ticket purchase was limited to four for football parents, two for spirit parents, one for students, and two for season ticket holders and the general public. All tickets were only available online.
Westlake Vs. Schertz Clemens
Hyline dance team parents Russ and Kristi Ray cheer their daughter Rose on as she heads to the field before the start of the game. Seating at the game was on a first-come, first-serve basis with every other row taped off for social distancing.
The Westlake Hyline dance team wears masks in their return to the Friday night lights.
The state champs head to the field in their first home game of the season to face the Clemens Buffalos.
Westlake cheerleaders prepare in anticipation of the start of the game.
Quarterback Cade Klubnik runs for yardage on his home field, working toward a win against the Buffalos.
The Westlake band performs in the stands with some pulling their mask down and others playing through a hole in their mask.
Students cheer as their team sweeps the field touchdown after touchdown.
Zane Minors (20) celebrates a touchdown with teammates Luke Nicklos (19) and Jaden Greathouse (9). The Chaps rolled over Clemens, 53-7 in their first game of the Covid-shortened season.
The roar of Austin FC fans will be heard soon, as the newest Major League Soccer member looks to kick off their season in a brand new stadium in 2021.
- CapMetro targets Austin FC fans about Project Connect stop - austonia ›
- Austin FC's 2021 debut season shines as bright spot for fans ... ›
- Austin FC fans to host Matthew McConaughey in memers-only Q n A ... ›
- Austin FC installs stadium seats, stadium opening in spring - austonia ›
- austin-fc - austonia ›
- 1 1/2 oz Tito's Handmade Vodka
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz pomegranate juice
- 1 maraschino cherry
You've seen and heard messaging from the city, transit opponents, and the big money PACs. You've probably read Emma Freer's in-depth, multi-part series, a fact-based exploration of Project Connect—and the tax rate election proposal, known as Proposition A, that would fund it—from multiple perspectives.
Chances are, if you moved to Austin in the past two years, it was probably for a tech job.
- Bay area tech workers eye moving to Austin post-pandemic - austonia ›
- Google delays returning to Austin offices as COVID-19 spikes ... ›
- Tech company Auctane signs lease at new Austin development ... ›
With films like Coco streaming on Disney+ and Day of the Dead Barbies lining Walmart shelves, it is clear that the commercial aspects of Dia de los Muertos are alive and well.
(Chris Caselli/Mexic-Arte Museum)
- 9 Austin business serving Halloween-inspired treats - austonia ›
- CDC guidelines for holidays in 2020 - austonia ›
- Zilker Park Holiday Tree installed, park closes for trail of lights ... ›
Today is going to be a windy one, according to The National Weather Service, which predicted breezy conditions in the Austin area and South Central Texas.
- Saharan dust storm expected to reach Texas this week - austonia ›
- For lovers of all things autumn: - austonia ›
- Hurricane Hanna brings flooding, power outages to southern Texas ... ›
In round figures the 18 active candidates running for the five seats on the Austin City Council raised a quarter-million dollars just in the last few weeks alone and they spent more than a half-million dollars during the same period. Total fundraising to date is nearly $1.2 million.