While Austin health officials have said that college football may not happen, for now the University of Texas plans to commence with its 2020 football season. We wanted to know if you would attend a Longhorn game with the stadium at limited capacity.
A majority of readers said they would not.
(Our poll was interrupted a bit by UT's change in policy. When we first released it on Tuesday, the school planned to have the stadium at 50% for games, but on Wednesday that changed to 25%.)
Some of the 75% of the 103 readers who voted "no" stated in the comments that it is too risky to be in a large crowd.
"I bleed burnt orange. But I will yell and scream from the safety of social distancing at home - for myself and for others. I'm very concerned for the student athletes, staff, band, stadium workers, officials - anyone who would be in such close proximity, cheering, singing, playing instruments - all of these raise the potential for community spread, per the WHO."
The 20% of readers who said they would still attend a game stated they felt comfortable as long as attendees took proper measures for safety.
"As long as everyone had to wear masks and the seats were six feet apart, yes, I would go."
Only 4% voted "unsure," for different reasons.
"Definitely would like to attend, but still wonder how seating will be handled."
Want to participate in future polls? Weekly polls are only accessible to Austonia's newsletter subscribers. Sign up below, before the next poll on Wednesday.
- Survey: UT has the most COVID-19 cases of all US colleges - austonia ›
- Poll results: School should be held online-only this fall - austonia ›
- Poll results: Majority would vote for ban on homeless camps - austonia ›
- Poll results: Majority of readers vote Austin should not change its name - austonia ›
- What losing football to COVID-19 would mean for Texas college towns: "It’s like losing Christmas" - austonia ›
- Poll results: Majority think Big 12 should cancel football - austonia ›
- Poll results: Majority of readers do not support the land use code - austonia ›
A second, stronger cold front is expected to hit tonight—bringing chilly weather through at least the rest of the week and rainy weather through Wednesday.
- Flash flood warning for Austin through midday Friday - austonia ›
- austin, texas haze due to cool front coming in - austonia ›
- Austin may see fall weather, cold front in next few days - austonia ›
Sen. Kamala Harris, Democratic vice presidential candidate, will make a campaign stop in Texas on Friday—the last day of early voting in the state—according to an email sent to Democratic lawmakers.
- election-2020 - austonia ›
- Pence denies voter suppression during debate after Abbott limits ... ›
- Kamala Harris and Meghan Markle headline blockbuster final day of ... ›
As fall progresses, Texas public school superintendents are realizing that virtual instruction simply is not working for thousands of students across the state.
The Travis Central Appraisal District has identified a new market data source that will allow it to reappraise residential properties in 2021 after a legal dispute with the Austin Board of Realtors prevented the district from doing so this year.
- City of Austin home sales down 33% in April, but prices rise sharply ... ›
- Appraisal review board plans for pandemic-era hearings - austonia ›
- Coronavirus pushes TCAD online as appraisal district prepares for ... ›
Austin's self-made millionaire Kendra Scott turned the city skyline yellow this week in celebration of her "Shark Tank" debut.
- Austin Kendra Scott selling earrings designed by UT students ... ›
- Kendra Scott to begin teaching at the University of Texas soon ... ›
- Local billionaire Kendra Scott takes seat on ABC Shark Tank ... ›
43% of registered voters have cast their ballots in Travis County—with eight days of early voting to go
More than 43% of registered Travis County residents voted early in person or had their mail-in ballots received between Oct. 13 and Thursday, with eight more days to go before the early voting period ends on Oct. 30.
- Travis County sees near-record turnout on first day of early voting ... ›
- Austin businesses reward you for voting early in Travis County ... ›
- Where to vote early in Travis County in the 2020 election - austonia ›
- Travis County's early voting polling places ranked by turnout - austonia ›
- Travis County sees high turnout on first day of early voting - austonia ›
Saturday, the Texas Longhorns will face one of its oldest rivals—Baylor—in a matchup that has all the makings of a do-or-die game for the Longhorn season.
- Texas Longhorns jump into AP's top 10 after Saturday win - austonia ›
- Excitement, tensions build as Austin expects 18k fans at first Texas ... ›