Sign up for the Austonia daily newsletter
×
becomeMemberIcon

become a member

(Adrianne Perez/GoFundMe)

Patricia Perez had barely left her house since March, but she was determined to work the voting polls in Travis County, just as she had done for years.


She was cautious of the pandemic, wearing a face shield, mask and gloves. However, she still got sick and died.

Her five adult children told KXAN there was "no stopping" her from working the Travis County polls during early voting, due to their mother's passion for politics.

"It's been a tough road and definitely wasn't her time," Adrianne Perez, one of the daughters, told the news station.

Soon after beginning work at the polling station at the Holiday Inn near I-35 and U.S. Highway 290, she called her children to express concern about a fellow poll worker, who she believed was sick. The man had been blowing his nose and coughing.

The poll worker was sent home and soon tested positive for COVID-19. A week or so after her first negative test result, Perez started feeling sick herself.

She spent a month in an Austin ICU, before dying at St. David's Medical Center on 32nd street on Dec. 2. She turned 70 this past weekend.

A county clerk told the news station there was no evidence that other poll workers or voters had gotten sick from the episode, though steps have been taken to advise poll workers.

The Perez family has set up a GoFundMe page for Perez's medical and funeral expenses.

Popular

Two former Apple employees, one who worked at the West Parmer Lane campus, speak out about their experience working at the tech giant. (Andrea Guzmán/Austonia)

Last fall, Janneke Parrish was pushing hard in her advocacy at Apple. She wanted to see flexibility with remote work, pay equity and for Apple to respond to Texas’ six-week abortion ban with paid time off and coverage for the procedure under the company’s health insurance plan.

Then, in October last year, she was fired.

Keep Reading Show less

(Austin Fire/Twitter)

The Texas French Bread Bakery, located on 2900 Rio Grande Street, has been completely destroyed after a fire erupted on Monday night.

Keep Reading Show less