100% Austin news, info, and entertainment, straight to your inbox at 6 a.m. every morning.
In five minutes, you're fully informed and ready to start another great day in our city.
Jersey Number: 21
Hometown: Murska Sobota, Slovenia
Former club: NK Maribor
Žan Kolmanič may have been the latest to join Austin FC's training camp, but he's already made immediate impact. The 21-year-old hopped on a plane to Austin straight from the UEFA U-21 Championships where he represented his home country of Slovenia.
Before Austin, Kolmanič spent four seasons with NK Maribor, a 15-time championship team in the Slovenian premier league PrvaLiga, logging six assists with the club. Kolmanič started in 43 of his 45 matches played and helped guide the team to yet another PrvaLiga Championship as a 19-year-old in 2018-19.
Kolmanič has also represented his country on the international level. As he grew up, Kolmanič logged almost as many appearances with the U-16, U-17, U-18, U-19 and U-21 Slovenian National teams as he has professionally. He's played in 39 international matches and most recently participated in three matches against Italy, Spain and the Czech Republic in the U-21 Championships in March.
Without breaking stride, Kolmanič came to Austin and quarantined before joining the inaugural Austin FC roster. Kolmanič said he's glad to have played a final season with Maribor to get him ready for the MLS.
"I have a lot of games already this year, (so) I'm ready," Kolmanič said. "I was in the rhythm with the game, so it was really, really good for me to join the team."
With Austin FC
Kolmanič was added to the roster as more of a depth player than a starter, but he was called up prematurely when fellow left back Ben Sweat suffered an ACL tear in the beginning of the Colorado Rapids match. Kolmanič entered with composure and energy, quickly filling in Sweat's shoes.
Kolmanič said he's happy to match the faster tempo of MLS play and credits his calmness and his teammates for his quick adjustment.
"I can say that I'm calm with the ball," Kolmanič said. "I think I make good decisions on the pitch, and, of course, trying to help with energy for all of us teammates, they've all been great to me. We connect and you saw it on the pitch against LAFC and Colorado."
With Sweat out for the season, Kolmanič is likely to start at left back for the rest of the season. It's been all but confirmed by Wolff, who said Aedan Stanley and Hector Jimenez could also get minutes at the position as well.
Even though he missed much of preseason, Wolff said he may be the fittest on the team since he's fresh out of a season with NK Maribor. Kolmanič is also a standout due to his ability to provide chances on goal to his teammates; against LAFC, he provided five crosses in his MLS debut, and he was able to do more of the same as he subbed in for Sweat to help ATXFC to a 3-1 victory.
Off the pitch
A native of Murska Sobota, Slovenia, Kolmanič is one of three Europeans to join the club. Most players speak English or Spanish, and Kolmanič is the only Slovenian speaker on the club, though he speaks English as well. Still, Kolmanič said it's not hard for the players to communicate on the pitch.
"We make it work," Kolmanič said. "On the field, you just see how how we play and you see the movements of the player, so we don't really need to speak that much."
While it's a big adjustment to be in the States, Kolmanič said he's better off here as Slovenia enters a lockdown.
"I escaped lockdown in Slovenia when I left and here is more open and everything," Kolmanič said. "And we got the vaccines, (so) I think, for me, it's better to be right here."
He's also on the younger end of the lineup. At 21, Kolmanič is one of six under-22 players on Austin FC's roster, and he's one of several to make his MLS debut this season. As the league continues to grow, Kolmanič said he's happy to have the opportunity to play here. As for the future?
"We will see," Kolmanič said. "I'm just trying to make an impact in the game."
- Austin FC adds Aedan Stanley, William Pulisic to roster - austonia ›
- Despite lineup changes, Austin FC stages a comeback for first-ever ... ›
- Austin FC looks to get a win streak going against Minnesota - austonia ›
- Austin FC midfielder Alex Ring was once NYCFC captain - austonia ›
- Julio Cascante comes from Portland Timbers to Austin FC - austonia ›
- Ben Sweat brings years of MLS experience to Austin FC - austonia ›
- Designated Player Cecilio Dominguez is joining Austin FC in his ... ›
- Sebastian Berhalter is Austin FC's youngest team member - austonia ›
- PROFILE: Tomas Pochettino brings creativity to Austin FC roster ... ›
A week after Texas added two congressional seats and California lost one, state officials reported a population decline in 2020 for the first time in the Golden State's history.
California fell by over 182,000 people from January 2020 to January 2021, dropping almost 0.5% to cap out at around 39.5 million people. It is still the nation's most populous state.
For over thirty years, California has seen more people leave than move in from other states, state officials said, with 6.1 million people moving out and 4.9 million coming in last year. Immigration and births kept California growing, but the state saw a shrink in international migration in 2020 due to COVID and the White House's hold on visas.
Of the steady flow of ex-Californians moving to other states, more are moving to Texas than any other state. Many are relocating to Austin, which has been labeled a "little California" by billionaire resident Elon Musk and continues to grow astronomically.
Meanwhile, California cities including Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose and San Francisco saw a population decline.
With immigration and state migration on the decline, the Golden State was also hit with a spike in deaths- 51,000 people died from COVID in 2020, and all but seven of the state's counties saw death rates higher than the three-year average.
Still, the California Department of Finance said a "slightly positive annual growth" can be expected next year as the state recovers from COVID deaths and political repercussions.
- 2020 Census marks 10 years of most rapid growth for Austin - austonia ›
- Joah Spearman responds to a California's man hate of Austin ... ›
- Little California: Techsodus transplants love Austin, but does the city ... ›
- Celebrities who moved to austin, texas in 2020, and those to move ... ›
- California tech employees move to austin for business and way of ... ›
- California man warns against moving to Austin in Op-Ed - austonia ›
- Migration insights of Austin, who is moving to the city and who is ... ›
- Tesla's Elon Musk becomes 3rd richest person in the world - austonia ›
- Californian Texodus is affecting Texas on a national political scale ... ›
- Texas will gain two congressional seats after 2020 census - austonia ›
- 1 1/2 oz of hibiscus-infused Tito's Handmade Vodka
- 2 oz sparkling water
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1 tsp allspice dram
The sun is out, and thousands of Austin FC fans will be as well as Austin FC goes to Kansas to play Sporting Kansas City at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday.
There's plenty of pub partners to choose from, but here's a few watch parties to help you get in on the action.
Los Verdes watch party at Hopsquad Brewing, 2307 Kramer Lane
Fun fact: @LosVerdesATX brings sleeping bags and they basically live in the grain room between games. They'll emerge from time to time for a cup of coffee and to see if the #verde keeper kit has been released. pic.twitter.com/6HKUEHUFWY— Hopsquad Brewing Co. (@HopsquadBrewing) May 3, 2021
Ol' faithful: Hopsquad Brewing is hosting its weekly watch party, complete with beer, food trucks and the possible release of a new michelada, in partnership with Austin FC fan club Los Verdes. Admission is free, but make sure to bring a lawn chair so you can watch from the brand-new LED screen.
Austin Anthem North at 601 Whitestone Blvd, Cedar Park
Live up North? Looking for a place to catch the match? Join Us this Sunday.— Austin Anthem (@AustinAnthem) May 7, 2021
⚽ #AustinFC 🆚 #SportingKC
🗓 Sun, 5/9. 6:30pm
🍺 $1 off pints with @AustinFC gear and #verde Beer
🌮 Van's Damn Tasty Tacos & Ronburguesas $6 Fried Tots pic.twitter.com/zHRp4H2MIQ
Austin Anthem's 1,000+ audience at watch parties have been legendary, but they're splitting the group into two this week. The North Watch party will be located at Whitestone Brewery, with $1 off discounts if you bring Austin Anthem's signature beer or wear Verde. Tater tots and tacos will be on the menu. RSVP here.
Austin Anthem East at Haymaker, 2301 Manor Road
This week’s beer-storming also brings #LosZanates back to where much of the #AustinFC supporter movement was formed: @HaymakerAustin.— Austin Anthem (@AustinAnthem) May 4, 2021
⚽ #AustinFC 🆚 #SportingKC
🗓 Sun, 5/9. 6:30pm
🐻 2310 Manor Rd
The #Verde watch parties for all of #Austin. Join us!https://t.co/EdiBruetIG pic.twitter.com/7NYsEFLxCf
Austin Anthem is returning to its roots at Haymaker Austin, where much of the group originated. Beer, sandwiches and more will be on the menu for all of East Austin. RSVP here.
Head to a bar near you
If none of these watch parties are quite the right fit for you, 31 bars will be streaming the match in the Austin metro as part of the Austin FC Pub Club.
- Austin Eastciders- Barton Springs, 1530 Barton Springs Rd.
- Austin Eastciders- Collaboratory 979 Springdale Rd. Suite 130
- B.D. Riley's Mueller, 1905 Aldrich St. Unit 130
- The Bon Aire, 9070 Research Blvd
- Bouldin Acres, 2027 S Lamar Blvd
- Casa Chapala, 9041 Research Blvd Suite 100
- The Cavalier, 2400 Webberville Rd Unit A
- Cover 2,13701 N Highway 183
- Cover 3 Anderson Lane, 2700 W Anderson Ln Unit 202
- Happy Chicks, 214 E 6th St.
- Haymaker, 2310 Manor Rd.
- High Five- Anderson Ln, 2700 W Anderson Ln Unit 101
- Local Post Pub, 7113 Burnet Rd
- Pelons, 802 Red River St
- Play on 6th, 620 W 6th St
- Pluckers, various locations
- Revelry On The Boulevard, 6215 N Lamar Blvd
- Revelry- East 6th, 1410 E 6th St
- Rusty Cannon Pub, 730 W Stassney Ln Unit 120
- San Jac Saloon, 300 E 6th Street
- Shiner's Saloon, 422 Congress Ave Unit D
- Shooters Billiards 620, 11416 N FM 620
- Taco Flats, mulitple locations
- Twin Peaks, 701 E Stassney Ln
- Austin's Latino's feels "close to home" with Austin FC - austonia ›
- Soccer support groups team up on merch, proceeds benefit LGBTQ ... ›
- Diego Fagundez showed his Verde colors with Austin FC's first goal ... ›
- Austin FC loses steam in 2-0 loss at No. 2 LAFC - austonia ›
- Los Verdes partners with Austin Justice Coalition in bandana ... ›
- Austin FC is looking for a three-match win streak at Kansas City ... ›
- Before kickoff: the ultimate guide to all things Austin FC - austonia ›
- 6. Over 30 pub partners - austonia ›