100% Austin news, info, and entertainment, straight to your inbox at 6 a.m. every morning.
In five minutes, you're fully informed and ready to start another great day in our city.
Q2 Stadium could host U.S. and Mexican national teams among international field in global summer soccer tournament
Q2 Stadium will seat more than Verde fans for its inaugural season. The 20,500 stadium will also host national teams from around the globe as one of 11 hosts for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup in July and August.
"It is an honor for Q2 Stadium, in its first year of operations, to be designated as one of the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup venues," Austin FC President Andy Loughnan said. "Austin FC and the greater Austin region look forward welcoming Concacaf and qualifying national teams to the world-class Q2 Stadium."
The Cup will feature 16 national teams, including the formidable Mexican Men's National Team, which are eight-time Gold Cup champions, and six-time champions U.S Men's National team.
While 12 teams from the Concacaf Nations League will join the cup, the final slots will be filled by Qatar, winner of the 2019 AFC Asian Cup and host of the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The cup will also hold three more teams that will be decided during the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Prelims on July 2-6.
Here are the preset group stage groups, which will kick off play July 10:
The Concacaf group stage was drawn in September of 2020. (Concacaf)
- Quarterfinal #1: Winner Group D vs Second Place Group A
- Quarterfinal #4: Winner Group B vs Second Place Group C
- Quarterfinal #2: Winner Group A vs Second Place Group D
- Quarterfinal #3: Winner Group C vs Second Place Group B
- Semifinal #1: Winner Quarterfinal #1 vs Winner Quarterfinal #4
- Semifinal #2: Winner Quarterfinal #2 vs Winner Quarterfinal #3
- Final: Winner Semifinal #1 vs Winner Semifinal #2
The best in the Concacaf region will battle it out in Las Vegas for the first time on August 1. Prelims will be held at the DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and will kick off July 2.
The Concacaf Gold Cup will conclude on August 1 in Las Vegas for the first time in history. (Concacaf)
Austin will be one of 11 hosts for the cup. As the city's first-ever major league soccer stadium, the event will mark history as the first Concacaf match in Austin.
"To host a competition of this caliber is a great honor," said Drew Hays, director of the Austin Sports Commission. "Austin is an event city, and the Concacaf Gold Cup further elevates our offerings. We are thrilled to welcome fans from North & Central America and to showcase the city during this bi-annual competition."
More information including matchups, ticketing and exact locations will be released in the coming weeks. The cup will be played in a "hub" format to ensure safe travel and lessen the risk of COVID transmission. To sign up for updates regarding the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup, click here.
- Austonia tours Austin FC's brand-new Q2 Stadium - austonia ›
- Garber, Adler and Anthony Precourt comment on Q2 Stadium ... ›
- Austin FC's Andy Loughnane expects "large crowd" at Q2 Stadium ... ›
- Here's all the local eats Austin FC is bringing to Q2 Stadium - austonia ›
- Here's all the local eats Austin FC is bringing to Q2 Stadium - austonia ›
- Austin FC to play at Q2 Stadium on June 19, season opener against ... ›
- Q2 Stadium set to finish in March, host first home game in June ... ›
- The Verde Store, Austin FC's official merch store, opens tomorrow - austonia ›
- US Women's National team to christen Q2 Stadium pitch - austonia ›
- Austin FC single-match tickets sell out in minutes, frustrating fans - austonia ›
- Austonia reviews local eats and treats at Q2 Stadium - austonia ›
Police have arrested one of two suspects involved in a mass shooting at Austin's Sixth Street in the early morning hours on Saturday, leaving 14 people injured and two in critical condition.
The arrest was made by the Austin Police Department and the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force. One suspect is still at large.
Police started receiving 911 phone calls at 1:24 a.m about a man that fired shots into a large crowd, and responded to a chaotic scene on the 400 block of East Sixth Street. Detectives are surveying video footage captured by bystanders and cameras on the scene to identify the suspect.
The Austin Police Department has narrowed down their search to two male suspects and believes there was "some type of disturbance" between the two parties.
No deaths have been reported. Fourteen victims are receiving treatment in a hospital in stable condition with one treated in an emergency room; two are in critical condition.
According to Interim Police Chief Joseph Chacon, "almost all" of the victims are innocent bystanders but police have not ruled anyone out at this time.
Shooting on 6th Street Austin Texas 6-12-2021 (Aftermath) youtu.be
The shooting occurred on the weekend of the Republic of Texas Motorcycle Rally. With lots of people downtown, police say it was difficult to get EMS in and out of the scene. Police arrived while the scene was still an "active threat," officers "immediately began lifesaving measures" and drove six victims to the hospital in their squad cars, said Chacon, and four were transported in ambulances.
Chacon said that the incident is believed to be isolated, and they optimistic they will be successful in getting the two suspects into custody. Multiple departments, including APD, the FBI, Texas DPS and the ATF, are involved in the investigation.
Austin police are also requesting state troopers for patrol assistance in the coming days. Chacon stressed staffing issues are increasingly making responding to emergency calls "very hard."
"Overall, we remain a safe city," Chacon said. "Also keep in mind when you come downtown, you need to be safety conscious. Be vigilant of your environment and your surroundings."
Today marks the five-year anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting in which 49 were killed and 53 wounded in Orlando, Florida. Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call 911 or 512-472-TIPS.
This story was updated at 2:47 p.m. to include new information and will be updated as more details are revealed.
- Austin bars, restaurants respond to Abbott's reopening order - austonia ›
- 2 men in Sixth Street stabbing downtown Austin, APD reports ... ›
- Sixth Street shows packed street with no masks after governors ... ›
- Austinites recount mass shooting, call for strict gun policies - austonia ›
Austin police are investigating a homicide in North Austin where a woman was shot and killed, just hours after a mass shooting in Downtown Austin hospitalized 14 people.
APD is working a suspicious death near the 1900 block of W Rundberg Ln. PIO is en route and will update with media staging location. PIO6
— Austin Police Department (@Austin_Police) June 12, 2021
Police originally responded to Ironhorse Flats Apartments, 1900 block of W. Rundberg Lane, at 3:20 p.m. when they found the woman with multiple gunshot wounds. She was transported to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 4:07 p.m.
No one is in custody as of yet but police are speaking with potential witnesses. Officials said they believe this was an isolated incident with no danger to the public but said possible relation to the downtown shooting has not been specifically ruled out.
Officers could not provide a suspect description and the relationship to the victim is still unknown.
This is a developing story that will be updated as details become available.
- Austin murder total hits 10-year high in 2020 - austonia ›
- Austin pediatrician Dr. Lindley Dodson shot dead by hostage taker ... ›
- After Austin shooting, Texas lawmakers mull permitless carry ... ›