A man shot a teenager who was trying to rob him at North Austin's Domain Tuesday afternoon, the Austin Police Department said.
APD said 17-year-old Jaylyn Reed, who has been suspected in several recent robberies, will face an aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon charge after he attempted to rob two people in a parking lot at 3400 Palm Way at around 4 p.m. Tuesday.
The arrest affidavit reported that Reed came up behind the two people with a black shirt concealing his face, pointing a gun at one of the victims while asking for their backpack. The other victim then shot Reed with a concealed pistol, the affidavit said.
Reed left in a car that pulled up just before he was shot. The car drove a short distance before a passenger called 911 and Reed was hospitalized with a life-threatening gunshot wound, the affidavit said. The victim's property was later found in the car.
Reed has an "extensive criminal history of aggravated robbery" and was ordered to wear an ankle monitor that had been removed at the time of the incident, the affidavit said.
- Crime study reveals high APD response times, short-staffing - austonia ›
- Accused killer of pro cyclist possibly using alias in a crime of passion ... ›
- "Silk Road" biopic highlights a tale of true crime in Austin ›
- Austin ranks more dangerous than Dallas, Houston and Fort Worth ... ›
- Here's how crime stacks up in Austin's party districts - austonia ›
- APD arrests suspect involved in nine robberies in under 24 hours - austonia ›
- Report: The Domain is getting its highest building yet with nearly 30-story tower - austonia ›