'Massive' Saharan dust cloud travels thousands of miles across Atlantic, expected to reach Texas this week
The dust is likely to affect air quality, but will also suppress tropical storms and make sunsets and sunrises more vivid.
You can see the leading edge of the SAL (Saharan Air Layer) coming into the Lesser Antilles. You can likely see ha… https://t.co/mHa7g6sApl— Jim Cantore (@Jim Cantore)1592409302.0
The "Saharan Air Layer" is a common occurrence at this time of year, but the cloud currently darkening skies in the Caribbean is reportedly the "thickest in decades."
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, "The Saharan Air Layer has unique properties of warmth, dry air, and strong winds that can have significant moderating impacts on tropical cyclone formation and intensification."
Following the purchase of a converted 34-foot-long van, Addicus' Legacy Dog Rescue's pups headed to their forever homes in style during its maiden voyage last week.
- 1 1/2 oz Tito's Handmade Vodka
- 2 oz sparkling water
- 1/2 oz coconut sugar simple syrup
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 2-4 kiwi slices, peeled
- 2 basil leaves
Vaccine week 13: Travis County to receive more than 75K doses of vaccine thanks to Johnson & Johnson bump
Eighty-seven providers in Travis County will receive a total of 75,540 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine for the week of March 8 as part of the 13th weekly allocation, a nearly 62% increase compared to last week's. The significant increase is largely due to inclusion of the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which received an emergency use authorization from the FDA last weekend.
The bulk will go to hub providers Austin Public Health and UT Health Austin, the clinical wing of Dell Medical School, as well as to Seton Medical Center, which will receive the largest share of this week's shipment. These three providers will either receive doses from Moderna or Pfizer.
- Everything we know about Austin's COVID vaccine rollout - austonia ›
- UT professor played role in Pfizer and Moderna's COVID vaccines ... ›
- A 'handful' of ineligible people got the COVID vaccine in Austin ... ›
- Austin healthcare offering COVID-19 vaccine waitlists - austonia ›
- Complete guide to 5-county Austin-area COVID vaccine providers - austonia ›
- COVID-19 vaccines resume in Austin after weather emergency - austonia ›
- Travis County to vaccinate 3k at COTA drive-thru event - austonia ›
- Will the US reach herd immunity by April? Experts disagree - austonia ›
- Eligible Austinites frustrated by long wait for COVID vaccine - austonia ›