The University of Texas updated its fall 2020 plans, requesting students self-quarantine for 14 days before returning to campus, and stating that football games will be held with the stadium at 25% capacity.
Interim President Jay Hartzell tweeted a memo on the university's updated reopening policies, which include a request that students self-quarantine for 14 days before arriving on campus. The update comes a month after UT released its initial fall 2020 plans.
The updated plans also states that football games will be held at 25% capacity, a stark revision to previous plans for the stadium to be filled to 50% capacity.
Just hours before UT released its updated plans, a survey from the New York Times found that UT has the highest number of coronavirus cases among public universities, citing 449 cases among UT students, faculty and staff. University spokesperson J.B. Bird said the Times survey does not show the full picture, calling some of the gaps "egregious."
"The Times survey shows how well different universities track and report cases, (but) it is not an accurate comprehensive comparison of universities," Bird said in an email. "That's because hundreds of colleges did not respond to the Times request for data and do not post public COVID numbers, as the article notes."
UT's coronavirus dashboard shows 456 cases since March 1, with 287 student cases and 169 cases among faculty and staff.UT ranked ninth among Big 12 schools with coronavirus cases in student athletes, the survey found. Thirteen UT football players tested positive in June.
This article has been updated with the university's new plans.
- UT Austin releases fall semester plan - austonia ›
- 64% chance peak COVID-19 has already passed in Texas, UT ... ›
- Poll Results: Majority would not attend a UT football game - austonia ›
- What losing football to COVID-19 would mean for Texas college towns: "It’s like losing Christmas" - austonia ›
- Longhorns may have fall season: Big 12, SEC, ACC still hoping to play in 2020 - reports - austonia ›
- UT students, employees call for tuition cut, no in-person classes - austonia ›
- UT Austin announces plans for spring semester amid COVID - austonia ›
A second, stronger cold front is expected to hit tonight—bringing chilly weather through at least the rest of the week and rainy weather through Wednesday.
- Flash flood warning for Austin through midday Friday - austonia ›
- austin, texas haze due to cool front coming in - austonia ›
- Austin may see fall weather, cold front in next few days - austonia ›
Sen. Kamala Harris, Democratic vice presidential candidate, will make a campaign stop in Texas on Friday—the last day of early voting in the state—according to an email sent to Democratic lawmakers.
- election-2020 - austonia ›
- Pence denies voter suppression during debate after Abbott limits ... ›
- Kamala Harris and Meghan Markle headline blockbuster final day of ... ›
As fall progresses, Texas public school superintendents are realizing that virtual instruction simply is not working for thousands of students across the state.
The Travis Central Appraisal District has identified a new market data source that will allow it to reappraise residential properties in 2021 after a legal dispute with the Austin Board of Realtors prevented the district from doing so this year.
- City of Austin home sales down 33% in April, but prices rise sharply ... ›
- Appraisal review board plans for pandemic-era hearings - austonia ›
- Coronavirus pushes TCAD online as appraisal district prepares for ... ›
Austin's self-made millionaire Kendra Scott turned the city skyline yellow this week in celebration of her "Shark Tank" debut.
- Austin Kendra Scott selling earrings designed by UT students ... ›
- Kendra Scott to begin teaching at the University of Texas soon ... ›
- Local billionaire Kendra Scott takes seat on ABC Shark Tank ... ›
43% of registered voters have cast their ballots in Travis County—with eight days of early voting to go
More than 43% of registered Travis County residents voted early in person or had their mail-in ballots received between Oct. 13 and Thursday, with eight more days to go before the early voting period ends on Oct. 30.
- Travis County sees near-record turnout on first day of early voting ... ›
- Austin businesses reward you for voting early in Travis County ... ›
- Where to vote early in Travis County in the 2020 election - austonia ›
- Travis County's early voting polling places ranked by turnout - austonia ›
- Travis County sees high turnout on first day of early voting - austonia ›
Saturday, the Texas Longhorns will face one of its oldest rivals—Baylor—in a matchup that has all the makings of a do-or-die game for the Longhorn season.
- Texas Longhorns jump into AP's top 10 after Saturday win - austonia ›
- Excitement, tensions build as Austin expects 18k fans at first Texas ... ›