78 rainey st
Another Rainey Street bar is closing its doors, marking the strip’s third closure of the year.
Reina, 78 Rainey St., announced that it would close its doors on Sept. 11 via social media on Friday. The city plans to use the lot for construction of a new residential building, 80 Rainey, which will include affordable housing units.
The announcement comes on the heels of both Container Bar and Bungalow closing in March to make way for the development, which will be a 49-story high-rise, with a conditional use permit for a four-story cocktail lounge inside.
“We knew this was coming and that our days were numbered,” the bar said. “It still couldn’t prepare us for the sadness we’re feeling.”
The bar opened just before the pandemic began in January 2020.
“We often think back to when Reina was a place of refuge during COVID,” the post said. “The smiles we saw on people’s faces as they ventured outside of their homes for the first time in months is a memory burned inside our heads forever.”
- Nearly 50-story condo tower in Rainey district expected to break ... ›
- New brewery, The Stay Put will open on Austin's Rainey Street ... ›
- Rainey Street's Container Bar, Bungalow to have last hoorah this ... ›
- Final Rainey Street residential home cleared for demolition - austonia ›
- Complete guide to Rainey Street's bars, food and nightlife - austonia ›
- The towers giving Rainey a makeover in the coming years - austonia ›