100% Austin news, info, and entertainment, straight to your inbox at 6 a.m. every morning.
In five minutes, you're fully informed and ready to start another great day in our city.
It's berry-picking season, y'all. Strawberry season is at its tail end, with blackberries and blueberries due to take over from late May through July. Peaches will also make their debut in June.
Many local family farms offer pick-your-own visits, which naturally allow for social distancing (and are highly Instagrammable). Some also have family-friendly attractions, such as petting zoos. Below are five spots within a 90-minute drive from central Austin.
1. Chickamaw Organic Farm & Ranch, Bastrop
This Bastrop family farm is the only certified biodynamic operation in Texas and offers a free pint to whoever finds the biggest blueberry of the season. In addition to berries, visitors can also purchase beef from the farm's grass-fed cows. Call ahead at 512-567-3456 or email email@example.com to make an appointment and get directions.
2. Jenschke Orchards, Fredericksburg
This Fredericksburg farm has been family-owned and operated since 1961 and offers pick-your-own harvests of strawberries through May, blackberries through June and more than 30 varieties of peaches through September. Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Address: 8301 E. Hwy. 290, Fredericksburg. More information can be found here.
3. Omi's Blackberry Farm, Paige
This family-run farm in Paige grows pesticide-, herbicide- and insecticide-free blackberries. Although the winter storm damaged some of its earliest producing varieties, Omi's expects to open for picking around mid-May. Blackberries cost $3.50 per pound if paying by cash and $3.60 if credit. Address: 2548 E. Hwy. 21, Paige. More information can be found here.
4. Sweet Berry Farm, Marble Falls
This Marble Falls farm offers strawberry picking through mid-May, as well as other family-friendly activities include pony rides, sand art, goat feeding and a barrel train. There are also picnic tables on site, where visitors can enjoy a picnic lunch. No pets allowed. Strawberries are $2.99 per pound, plus $0.75 for the picking box, which holds up to eight pounds. Hours: Mon.-Tues. 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Thurs.-Sat. 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Sun. 1-5 p.m. Address: 1801 FM 1980, Marble Falls. More information can be found here.
5. Sweet Eats Fruit Farm, Georgetown
This Georgetown adventure farm has a limited amount of strawberries still available to pick, plus a full schedule of pony rides, pig races, a petting zoo and apple slingshots. No pets allowed. Strawberries are $3.50 a pound. If visitors wish to do other activities besides pick fruit, a general admission ticket costs $13.99. (Children under 2 get in free.) Hours: Mon.-Sun. 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Address: 14440 E. Hwy. 290, Georgetown. More information can be found here.
- What to do in Austin for $10, having fun for cheap - austonia ›
- A sunny day and a cold beer: 15 Austin breweries worth exploring ... ›
- 7 day trips for a quick vacation - austonia ›
After a year-long hiatus due to the pandemic, the Queer Eye Fab Five announced their return to Austin the best way they knew how: posing in front of El Arroyo's iconic sign on Instagram.
The group announced that filming for season six, Queer Eye: Texas, was back on as the five of them smiled aside the sign reading "Queer Eyes, full hearts, can't lose."
The group spent a few days teasing the return before formally announcing the new season. Interior designer Bobby Berk posted a picture of himself and husband, Dewey Do, in front of the Austin skyline and later, another picture of himself and costar and the show's life coach Karamo Brown dressed in cowboy garb.
In TikTok fashion, the caption read: "Show me you're from Texas without telling me you're from Texas. #houstonboys."
In a photo of the cast dressed up in their best, Brown also announced they were returning to work on Instagram.
Hair expert Jonathan Van Ness has allegedly been living in Austin since the show went on pause, even adopting a dog from Austin Pets Alive! in the meantime.
While the group transforms some of Austin's least fashion-forward, watching the show will have you like:
- Bachelorette Clare off early for Austin Chef Page Pressley - austonia ›
- Celebrities who moved to austin, texas in 2020, and those to move ... ›
- Queer Eye resumes casting 6th season in Austin, Texas - austonia ›
Austin FC's first season will officially be underway, but their inaugural match will be nearly 1,500 miles away from their home city.
The match, which will see No. 21 ATXFC face No. 2 LAFC, will be broadcast nationally on FOX and FOX Deportes at 5 p.m. on Saturday, but for some, simply watching from home isn't quite enough.
Luckily, Austin FC, fan clubs and bars across the city are looking to keep the soccer spirit alive in Austin through several Saturday watch parties. So, put on your Verde gear and head to one of these watch parties this weekend.
1. Circle Brewing Co., 2340 W Braker Ln
This 12-hour party (from 11 a.m.-11 p.m.) claims to be the biggest watch party in Austin. Formed by Austin Anthem, ATXFC's original supporters' group, the outdoor party will hold over 1,000 people in the lot in front of Circle Brewing near Q2 Stadium. Entry is free, and the immersive experience will feature a 23' x 13' screen viewable from 500 feet away, an immersive audio experience and a special guest DJ at 7:30 p.m. RSVP here.
The event is entirely outdoors. All attendees must wear face masks when not eating or drinking.
2. Hopsquad Brewing, 2307 Kramer Lane
Hopsquad Brewing, the official headquarters of Austin FC supporters group Los Verdes, is launching an immersive watch party to kick off the team's first season. Free to enter, the Brewery will feature indoor and outdoor taps and screens, live music, art and food trucks. Rideshare or take a ride on Cap Metro for $1 off your first beer. The party begins at noon and is set to end at 7 p.m. RSVP here.
Indoor and outdoor space is available, and masks are required when not eating or drinking.
3. Black Sheep Lodge, 2108 South Lamar Blvd.
For those who want Los Verdes action on the south side, head to Black Sheep Lodge. Starting at 3:30 p.m., the watch party will include La Murga's signature chants, stickers and plenty to drink through 8:30 p.m. RSVP here.
A mask is required when not eating or drinking.
4. Rustic Tap, 613 W. 6th St.
For those looking for a downtown locale, this watch party will be going from noon to close. This pet-friendly location will feature a 7 by 12 foot LED wall, live music and over 60 Texas-based spirits.
5. Mean Eyed Cat, 1621 W 5th St.
6. Star Bar, 600 W 6th St.
7. Lavaca Street Bar, 405 Lavaca St.
Gibson Street Bar, 1109 S Lamar Blvd
For those south of downtown, Gibson Street Bar will have a low-key watch party ready for the club's first match. RSVP here.
6. Over 30 pub partners
If none of these watch parties are quite the right fit for you, 31 bars will be streaming the match in the Austin metro as part of the Austin FC Pub Club.
- Austin Eastciders- Barton Springs, 1530 Barton Springs Rd.
- Austin Eastciders- Collaboratory 979 Springdale Rd. Suite 130
- B.D. Riley's Mueller, 1905 Aldrich St. Unit 130
- The Bon Aire, 9070 Research Blvd
- Bouldin Acres, 2027 S Lamar Blvd
- Casa Chapala, 9041 Research Blvd Suite 100
- The Cavalier, 2400 Webberville Rd Unit A
- Cover 2,13701 N Highway 183
- Cover 3 Anderson Lane, 2700 W Anderson Ln Unit 202
- Happy Chicks, 214 E 6th St.
- Haymaker, 2310 Manor Rd.
- High Five- Anderson Ln, 2700 W Anderson Ln Unit 101
- Local Post Pub, 7113 Burnet Rd
- Pelons, 802 Red River St
- Play on 6th, 620 W 6th St
- Pluckers, various locations
- Revelry On The Boulevard, 6215 N Lamar Blvd
- Revelry- East 6th, 1410 E 6th St
- Rusty Cannon Pub, 730 W Stassney Ln Unit 120
- San Jac Saloon, 300 E 6th Street
- Shiner's Saloon, 422 Congress Ave Unit D
- Shooters Billiards 620, 11416 N FM 620
- Taco Flats, mulitple locations
- Twin Peaks, 701 E Stassney Ln
- Cover 3- Round Rock, 2800 N Interstate Highway 35 Unit 200, Round Rock
- Crafthouse, 242 N LBJ Dr. Suite 101, San Marcos
- High Five- Lakeway1502 RM-620 N Lakeway, Lakeway
- Red Rooster's, 109 E Pecan St., Pflugervile
- Sean Patrick's, 202 E San Antonio St., San Marcos
- Shooter's Billiards Cedar Park, 601 E Whitestone Blvd, Cedar Park
- Austin's Latino's feels "close to home" with Austin FC - austonia ›
- Could more pro soccer be on its way to Austin? A new NWSL team ... ›
- Soccer support groups team up on merch, proceeds benefit LGBTQ ... ›
- Before kickoff: the ultimate guide to all things Austin FC - austonia ›
- Matthew McConaughey and Will Ferrell go head to head in Austin ... ›
- Austin FC looks to score their first goal against the Colorado Rapids - austonia ›
- Austin FC has few good looks, lineup changes at Colorado Rapids - austonia ›
- Despite lineup changes, Austin FC stages a comeback for first-ever win - austonia ›
- Where to watch Austin FC's match vs. Sporting Kansas City this weekend - austonia ›
DJ McConaughey's kind of got a ring to it, especially when it's being used for a good cause.
In a showcase of Texan solidarity, Austin gem and celebrity Matthew McConaughey has cooked up an all-star lineup of "Texas talent" for his virtual benefit, "We're Texas," to help pay for damages caused by Winter Storm Uri.
The event will be hosted on Saturday by McConaughey and his wife, Camila. It's the only time you'll find McConaughey DJ'ing an event with Texans like George Strait, Megan Thee Stallion and Joe Rogan all side-by-side in attendance.
All proceeds will go to McConaughey's just keep livin foundation as part of its Texas Relief Fund. The fund will provide support for charities including the Austin Disaster Relief Network, Meals on Wheels Central Texas, Salvation Army of Texas, Save the Children, St. Bernard Project and Team Rubicon.
Alongside Strait, country legends Willie Nelson, Randy Rogers, Gary Clark Jr., Lyle Lovett and Miranda Lambert will perform, while music's next generation will be showcased with performances by Kacey Musgraves, Leon Bridges and Parker McCollum. The event is set to please any music taste and will hold additional performances from Kelly Clarkson, Khalid, Kirk Franklin, Lukas Nelson, Post Malone and Don Henley.
Here's some other native Texans and transfers set to make an appearance:
- Angie Harmon
- Chip & Joanna Gaines
- Clayton Kershaw
- Dak Prescott
- Dr. Phil McGraw
- Jamie Foxx
- Jennifer Garner
- the Jonas Brothers
- Marcus Lemonis
- Renée Zellweger
- Selena Gomez
- Troy Aikman
- Woody Harrelson
In a statement, McConaughey said he hopes the event will work to "restore Texas" after the weeklong freeze that left many without power or water for days.
"A lot of Texans are hurting right now," McConaughey said. "After the disaster of the worst freeze here in over 70 years, so many are still without clean water and unable to repair water damage that has made their homes unlivable. One of my favorite things about Texans is that we like to help ourselves, and while that spirit is still alive and well, a lot of Texans can't help themselves right now unless we help them."
Austin brands sponsoring the event include Dell, ACL Live at The Moody Theater, Austin FC and Bumble. Other Texan sponsorships include Reliant Energy, H-E-B and Dallas sports teams including the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars and Texas Rangers.
McConaughey first announced the event in what looked like a politian's message, complete with an American flag background, in a video on the Monday after the storm.
The Feb. 22 announcement may have been foreshadowing: McConaughey has made headlines recently for saying he's seriously considering running for governor of Texas.
Whether governor-to-be or just an Austin icon, McConaughey will use his platform to help his fellow Texans. The "We're Texas" event begins at 7 p.m. on Saturday. Those interested in watching or donating can log in at Youtube.com/MatthewMcConaughey or visit jklivinFoundation.org to donate before and after.
- Austin residents help one another during winter storm - austonia ›
- Matthew McConaughey may consider a run for Texas governor ... ›
- Poll: Governor McConaughey? - austonia ›
- Texans flock to Galveston Beach for COVID spring break - austonia ›
- Texans vote McConaughey in latest governor poll - austonia ›
- Matthew McConaughey reportedly mulls run for Texas governor - austonia ›