National attention shifted to Austin late Friday afternoon when news broke that Oracle is relocating its California headquarters to Austin.
The shift from Silicon Valley follows a recent trend of tech giants moving to Austin and other parts of Texas, including Tesla founder Elon Musk and Dropbox CEO Drew Houston. The industry's biggest companies are also planning expansion efforts here, including Apple's $1 billion campus under construction in Northwest Austin as well as downtown office acquisitions from Facebook and Google.
But the Oracle announcement prompted the largest response yet, putting Austin into a significant national spotlight. Here is a roundup of reactionary coverage from major news outlets:
- Employees from Oracle will be in familiar company should they relocate here. Business Insider reports about a Slack channel for founders of early-stage startups who relocated from San Francisco to Austin. The channel had to be capped at 150 users because "there were too many people."
- The tech industry's movement toward Austin is, in part, caused by the lack of available space to expand in Silicon Valley. Box Inc. CEO Aaron Levie told the Wall Street Journal that his company's Austin office, which opened six years ago, now employs more people than his headquarters in Redwood City, California—the same city that Oracle called home since the 1980s—because "there's a finite space in the Valley."
- The hyperbole about a tech "exodus" from Silicon Valley may be overblown. Axios talked to major players in the industry who aren't concerned about Texas overtaking the San Francisco area as the center of the tech universe. In fact, data shows that tech growth is still mostly concentrated in coastal cities.
- Google delays returning to Austin offices as COVID-19 spikes ... ›
- Austin ranks in top 3 of tech job markets in U.S. & Canada - austonia ›
- Austin reigns as top Tech Town for the second year in a row - austonia ›
- Headlines from Austin: country music legend dies - austonia ›
- Game on: Retro gaming sees a comeback in tech-savvy Austin - austonia ›
- Austin's 'boomtown' growth may be cooling, U-Haul data shows - austonia ›
Help us find our editor!
Austonia, a for-profit Austin digital media company, is looking for the right person for a new position as newsletter editor.
Are you an innovator who wants to work exclusively in digital media and push the boundaries? Do you have 3+ years in digital, broadcast, print or agency work? This could be the opportunity for you.
In two years we’ve created a place in the Austin media landscape, and we’re looking for people who can move us toward the front.
- AM email newsletter, 22,500+ daily subscribers
- Austonia.com, reaching 250,000+ users/month
- Social media, 50,000+ followers
Success in this role is based on skills: an excellent writer, editor, visual communicator and storyteller who builds compelling stories with digital and classic elements, who can recruit and mentor contributors in doing the same.
Austin is the most interesting city in the world, and we want to cover it that way. The people, issues, opportunities, challenges, companies and cultures that make Austin dynamic and successful.
Compensation depends on experience. Benefits include PTO and employee Blue Cross Blue Shield “Silver” health coverage, with 100% of the monthly premium paid by the company.
This is a hybrid, mostly remote position. Must live in Austin.
The position reports to Austonia’s CEO.
To apply, follow this link to become a candidate immediately:
Or send your contact info and a link to your LinkedIn profile to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Camp Fimfo Waco, a brand new camping resort, is kicking off football and fall camping season in style! With top-notch amenities, premium accommodations, and 10 weekends of fall fun, there’s no better place to have a fall camping getaway, especially if you’re a Baylor football fan!
Fall promises to be a one-of-a-kind camping experience. From Sept. 16 to Nov. 24, weekends will be packed with fall-themed activities, including special Halloween weekends in October. Campers can enjoy activities like fall crafts, campground trick-or-treating, costume contests, site decorating, outdoor movie nights, and more!
Packages and Ways to Stay
Camp Fimfo Waco
Located just 5 miles from McLane Stadium, Camp Fimfo Waco is the perfect place to stay during home game weekends. Skip the stuffy hotel room and embrace the great outdoors before cheering on the Baylor Bears! Campers can purchase a Baylor Tailgating Package that includes a pre-game meal from Executive Chef Sean Kelley and transportation to and from the game! Chef Kelley will also be cooking up delicious, elevated tailgating meals near the stadium so make sure to check out The Plaid Plate food truck before the game.
Stay in style and comfort, no matter your camping preference! At Camp Fimfo Waco, there are multiple ways to stay. Red Carpet RV sites come with a concrete pad and patio, full hook-ups, cable hook-up, a charcoal grill, fire ring and fire pit. Back-in or pull-thru options are available, as well as coveted spots tucked along the Bosque River!
Don’t have an RV? Not a problem, Camp Fimfo Waco has cabins too! Book a Riverview Firewheel Cabin if you’re looking for an air-conditioned oasis for the whole family. Complete with a kitchen and private bathroom, this cabin can fit up to 10 people. Elevate your stay by adding on a golf cart or snag a private cabana by the pool for guaranteed shade. With wifi available throughout the park, you can stay connected during your stay!
Amenities and Activities
Camp Fimfo Waco
Camp Fimfo Waco features lots of amenities to fill your days with fun, whether you’re a kid or kid at heart. After challenging your friends to a game of pickleball, basketball, or mini golf, go for a dip in the resort-style, heated pool - open daily through October! Stay on the weekends through October to enjoy the interactive splash playground. With plenty of ways to burn off energy, like the jumping pillow or playground, you can be sure to end the day with a peaceful night around the campfire!
Right now, you can get the fourth night FREE when you book three nights with the promo code BONUS! Check out the Offers page for full details and more promo codes!