Google told employees this week that the company will hold off on reopening its offices until Sept. 7, according to a memo obtained by Bloomberg News.
The company employs more than 1,000 people in Austin and took steps last year to expand its office space both downtown and on the East Side. As of last June, Austin was Google's seventh-largest office outside of the San Francisco Bay Area.
The decision came as both Texas and California, the state where most of the tech giant's employees work, have seen spikes in coronavirus cases. Texas saw nearly 7,000 new cases Tuesday.
"While conditions do vary from state to state, we need to see that the U.S. outlook as a whole is stable before we move forward," Chris Rackow, vice president of global security, wrote in the memo. "As the recent resurgence of cases demonstrates, Covid-19 is still very much alive in our communities."
Previously, the company's CEO Sundar Pichai told employees in May that the company would begin slowly returning some workers to the office on July 6. Those plans now appear to be scrapped based on the company memo.
Google's parent company, Alphabet, sent employees home during the second week of March, weeks ahead of some of the other big tech companies. Indeed, another tech giant with offices in Austin, sent its employees home barely a week earlier, one of the first companies in Austin to do so.
Even without the recent spikes in coronavirus cases in the U.S., the company planned for most Google employees to work from home through the end of the year. The work from home extension this week also comes on the heels of a host of other tech companies announcing that they would allow some employees to work from home "forever" if their job allows.
- Reopening Austin offices plan for one-way foot traffic, sanitizing ... ›
- GoDaddy to close both Austin offices - austonia ›
- Austin's new contact tracing tech aims to curb the pandemic - austonia ›
- Bay area tech workers eye moving to Austin post-pandemic - austonia ›
- Downtown Austin Alliance launches COVID-19 recovery plan - austonia ›
- Google engineers struggle to be productive working-from-home - austonia ›
A second, stronger cold front is expected to hit tonight—bringing chilly weather through at least the rest of the week and rainy weather through Wednesday.
- Flash flood warning for Austin through midday Friday - austonia ›
- austin, texas haze due to cool front coming in - austonia ›
- Austin may see fall weather, cold front in next few days - austonia ›
Sen. Kamala Harris, Democratic vice presidential candidate, will make a campaign stop in Texas on Friday—the last day of early voting in the state—according to an email sent to Democratic lawmakers.
- election-2020 - austonia ›
- Pence denies voter suppression during debate after Abbott limits ... ›
- Kamala Harris and Meghan Markle headline blockbuster final day of ... ›
As fall progresses, Texas public school superintendents are realizing that virtual instruction simply is not working for thousands of students across the state.
The Travis Central Appraisal District has identified a new market data source that will allow it to reappraise residential properties in 2021 after a legal dispute with the Austin Board of Realtors prevented the district from doing so this year.
- City of Austin home sales down 33% in April, but prices rise sharply ... ›
- Appraisal review board plans for pandemic-era hearings - austonia ›
- Coronavirus pushes TCAD online as appraisal district prepares for ... ›
Austin's self-made millionaire Kendra Scott turned the city skyline yellow this week in celebration of her "Shark Tank" debut.
- Austin Kendra Scott selling earrings designed by UT students ... ›
- Kendra Scott to begin teaching at the University of Texas soon ... ›
- Local billionaire Kendra Scott takes seat on ABC Shark Tank ... ›
43% of registered voters have cast their ballots in Travis County—with eight days of early voting to go
More than 43% of registered Travis County residents voted early in person or had their mail-in ballots received between Oct. 13 and Thursday, with eight more days to go before the early voting period ends on Oct. 30.
- Travis County sees near-record turnout on first day of early voting ... ›
- Austin businesses reward you for voting early in Travis County ... ›
- Where to vote early in Travis County in the 2020 election - austonia ›
- Travis County's early voting polling places ranked by turnout - austonia ›
- Travis County sees high turnout on first day of early voting - austonia ›
Saturday, the Texas Longhorns will face one of its oldest rivals—Baylor—in a matchup that has all the makings of a do-or-die game for the Longhorn season.
- Texas Longhorns jump into AP's top 10 after Saturday win - austonia ›
- Excitement, tensions build as Austin expects 18k fans at first Texas ... ›