Here it comes: Elon Musk says 'stunning' $1.1 billion Tesla Gigafactory will be built in Austin area
The Austin metro will soon be home to a $1.1 billion Gigafactory, Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk announced during the company's quarterly earnings update on Wednesday.
"We're going to make it a factory that's going to be stunning," he told investors, adding that construction is "already underway."
Both Del Valle ISD and Travis County offered Tesla tax rebates to build the factory in their jurisdictions. In exchange for significant long-term incentives, Tesla agreed to a minimum wage of $15 an hour for all factory employees, including construction workers.
The proposed factory site has been owned for years by the construction supplier Martin Marietta and used for a sand and gravel mining operation.
The finished factory will include a public-access boardwalk along the Colorado River, Musk said. "It's going to basically be an ecological paradise."
On Twitter, Mayor Steve Adler said that the factory will bring an "economic boost" to East Austin, while Gov. Greg Abbott welcomed the company.
Tesla picks Texas for its Cybertruck factory. Thanks to .@elonmusk & .@Tesla for embracing our great state. Th… https://t.co/tKr7tU2piK— Greg Abbott (@Greg Abbott) 1595455819.0
Tesla had support for the factory during the months of negotiation that preceded the announcement, but not from everyone.
Residents and union members raised concerns during public hearings about Tesla's track record of worker safety and adherence to incentive agreements.
This story is developing and will be updated.
Want to read more stories like this one? Start every day with a quick look at what's happening in Austin. Sign up for Austonia.com's free daily morning email.
- Elon Musk seeks to fast-track $1.1 billion Tesla factory in Austin ... ›
- Tesla asks Travis County for 20-year property tax rebate deal ... ›
- Travis County offers Tesla incentives for Austin Gigafactory - austonia ›
- Travis County considers deal to bring Tesla to Austin - austonia ›
- Del Valle ISD OKs Tesla tax deal for Austin factory - austonia ›
- Tesla considering buying Austin site for new factory - austonia ›
- Tesla Gigafactory will accelerate growth in southeast Austin - austonia ›
- Tesla's Elon Musk becomes 3rd richest person in the world - austonia ›
- Elon Musk's Neuralink startup is hiring in Austin, Texas - austonia ›
- Tesla files site plan for Austin Gigafactory - austonia ›
- Tesla announces plans for affordable vehicle - austonia ›
- Austin-area electric freight parts manufacturer Hyliion rings the NYSE bell this week after going public - austonia ›
- Elon Musk announces Austin Gigafactory will open in 2021 - austonia ›
- Elon Musk "The Boring Company" tunnel to be built in Austin - austonia ›
- Elon Musk skeptical of positive and negative COVID-19 tests - austonia ›
- Oracle moves headquarters from Silicon Valley to Austin - austonia ›
- Tesla's Elon Musk says Austin factory could hire 10k jobs - austonia ›
- Miami vs. Austin: Which Sun city will win the California tech-odus? - austonia ›
- Del valle ISD partners with Tesla in high school grad program - austonia ›
- Tesla's Austin Gigafactory on track to open later this year - austonia ›
- 5 updates on Elon Musk's Texas ventures from Tesla to SpaceX - austonia ›
So you want to buy a house?
To anyone trying to get on the "housing ladder," it's been a discouraging couple of years as prices skyrocketed in a market crowded with buyers bidding against each other for just about any available home.
Things may be calming down, with the Austin Board of REALTORS reporting fewer sales and more available homes this summer.
Mortgage rates have more than doubled in the last year, from around 3% to well over 6% on a 30-year fixed rate loan, getting even more of a bump this week after the Federal Reserve raised bank rates on Wednesday.
So how affordable are homes right now? That, of course, depends on what you want and how much you're able or willing to pay, but here are some rough estimates of what a typical buyer would pay to buy a $650,000 home, which would be considered "mid-price" in today's market.
Mortgage banker Chris Holland (NMLS 211033) of Austin's Sente Mortgage ran some numbers for Austonia to illustrate a typical purchase.
Holland says that while the 30-year fixed rate mortgage is often mentioned in the media, the most popular loan that he's seeing now is a 7/1 adjustable rate mortgage, which has a fixed rate for 7 years and then adjusts every year based on market rates, with a limit on how much it can increase each year. The interest is amortized over a 30-year period. Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARMs) offer lower rates than fixed rate loans.
Here are the numbers, which are examples. In practice, exact numbers vary with a buyer's credit rating and overall financial situation, and with the rate, which can move up or down at any time.
- $650,000 home purchase price
- 7/1 ARM at 5.875%
- 5% down payment, equals $32,500
- 95% financed, equals $617,500
- $4,990 payment, including principle and interest (P&I), insurance, and property tax
- Typically, a borrower's debt to income ratio needs to be at or below 45%. So for this mortgage, a borrower, or borrowers, would need income of roughly $11,100/month, or $133,200/year. That number could be higher, depending on the buyer's outstanding credit balances on things like credit cards and car loans.
Holland says he's had a lot of clients approved for loans who were house hunting but have put that on hold, hoping prices come down.
Camp Fimfo Waco, a brand new camping resort, is kicking off football and fall camping season in style! With top-notch amenities, premium accommodations, and 10 weekends of fall fun, there’s no better place to have a fall camping getaway, especially if you’re a Baylor football fan!
Fall promises to be a one-of-a-kind camping experience. From Sept. 16 to Nov. 24, weekends will be packed with fall-themed activities, including special Halloween weekends in October. Campers can enjoy activities like fall crafts, campground trick-or-treating, costume contests, site decorating, outdoor movie nights, and more!
Packages and Ways to Stay
Camp Fimfo Waco
Located just 5 miles from McLane Stadium, Camp Fimfo Waco is the perfect place to stay during home game weekends. Skip the stuffy hotel room and embrace the great outdoors before cheering on the Baylor Bears! Campers can purchase a Baylor Tailgating Package that includes a pre-game meal from Executive Chef Sean Kelley and transportation to and from the game! Chef Kelley will also be cooking up delicious, elevated tailgating meals near the stadium so make sure to check out The Plaid Plate food truck before the game.
Stay in style and comfort, no matter your camping preference! At Camp Fimfo Waco, there are multiple ways to stay. Red Carpet RV sites come with a concrete pad and patio, full hook-ups, cable hook-up, a charcoal grill, fire ring and fire pit. Back-in or pull-thru options are available, as well as coveted spots tucked along the Bosque River!
Don’t have an RV? Not a problem, Camp Fimfo Waco has cabins too! Book a Riverview Firewheel Cabin if you’re looking for an air-conditioned oasis for the whole family. Complete with a kitchen and private bathroom, this cabin can fit up to 10 people. Elevate your stay by adding on a golf cart or snag a private cabana by the pool for guaranteed shade. With wifi available throughout the park, you can stay connected during your stay!
Amenities and Activities
Camp Fimfo Waco
Camp Fimfo Waco features lots of amenities to fill your days with fun, whether you’re a kid or kid at heart. After challenging your friends to a game of pickleball, basketball, or mini golf, go for a dip in the resort-style, heated pool - open daily through October! Stay on the weekends through October to enjoy the interactive splash playground. With plenty of ways to burn off energy, like the jumping pillow or playground, you can be sure to end the day with a peaceful night around the campfire!
Right now, you can get the fourth night FREE when you book three nights with the promo code BONUS! Check out the Offers page for full details and more promo codes!