Travis County commissioners delayed a vote on a multimillion-dollar economic incentives deal with Tesla and gave no indication on when a decision may occur.
The electric carmaker has proposed a $1.1 billion "Gigafactory" in Southeast Austin and, in exchange, is seeking property tax breaks from Travis County over a 20-year period and Del Valle ISD over a 10-year period.
Judge Sam Biscoe said last week that a vote might take place Tuesday, but after discussing it privately with county attorneys in executive session decided to push off the decision.
Tesla looks to fast-track approval of an Austin 'Gigafactory' www.youtube.com
Public comment from both sides
Commissioners did hear public comment Tuesday from Travis County residents who are decidedly mixed on the deal.
Those who support it said it will bring good-paying jobs that are needed in light of the pandemic and will spur further development around the proposed factory site.
"This is not just good news, it's great news, when good news is hard to find," Austin Chamber President and CEO Laura Huffman told commissioners. "These are the jobs we often ask for but sometimes find hard to get."
Others oppose the proposal—or at least believe it could be improved.
Juan Belman, who grew up in South Austin, said past economic incentive deals have hurt communities more than helped them.
"I remember before Oracle came to town there used to be a vibrant Latinx community [in Riverside] until they were displaced by Oracle," he said.
Belman is against the deal, which he said will drive resources away from pandemic recovery efforts.
"Our community needs services from its government now more than ever," he said, "and we cannot justify providing incentives to a multibillion-dollar corporation while people are without food on the table."
- Tesla may get $60 million in tax breaks to bring factory to Austin ... ›
- Tesla to Travis County: Austin is at the top of our list, but we need a ›
- Elon Musk seeks to fast-track $1.1 billion Tesla factory in Austin ... ›
- Elon Musk supports Kanye West running for president in 2020 - austonia ›
- What Tulsa offers Elon Musk for Tesla's next 'Gigafactory' - austonia ›
- Travis County will vote on tax incentive deal for Tesla - austonia ›
- Travis County to vote on tax incentives deal for $1.1 billion Tesla factory - austonia ›
The Travis Central Appraisal District has identified a new market data source that will allow it to reappraise residential properties in 2021 after a legal dispute with the Austin Board of Realtors prevented the district from doing so this year.
- City of Austin home sales down 33% in April, but prices rise sharply ... ›
- Appraisal review board plans for pandemic-era hearings - austonia ›
- Coronavirus pushes TCAD online as appraisal district prepares for ... ›
Austin's self-made millionaire Kendra Scott turned the city skyline yellow this week in celebration of her "Shark Tank" debut.
- Austin Kendra Scott selling earrings designed by UT students ... ›
- Kendra Scott to begin teaching at the University of Texas soon ... ›
- Local billionaire Kendra Scott takes seat on ABC Shark Tank ... ›
43% of registered voters have cast their ballots in Travis County—with eight days of early voting to go
More than 43% of registered Travis County residents voted early in person or had their mail-in ballots received between Oct. 13 and Thursday, with eight more days to go before the early voting period ends on Oct. 30.
- Travis County sees near-record turnout on first day of early voting ... ›
- Austin businesses reward you for voting early in Travis County ... ›
- Where to vote early in Travis County in the 2020 election - austonia ›
- Travis County's early voting polling places ranked by turnout - austonia ›
- Travis County sees high turnout on first day of early voting - austonia ›
Saturday, the Texas Longhorns will face one of its oldest rivals—Baylor—in a matchup that has all the makings of a do-or-die game for the Longhorn season.
- Texas Longhorns jump into AP's top 10 after Saturday win - austonia ›
- Excitement, tensions build as Austin expects 18k fans at first Texas ... ›
As fall progresses, Texas public school superintendents are realizing that virtual instruction simply is not working for thousands of students across the state.
Austin may receive fall weather in the form of not just one but two cold fronts in the coming days.
- Hurricane Laura may bring little rain to Austin, while Austin sends ... ›
- Heat wave shows up in Austin this weekend—and stays - austonia ›
- Blistering weather ahead: Austin temps could reach 107 every day ... ›
Daniel Perry, the active-duty Army sergeant who says he shot armed Black Lives Matter protester Garrett Foster in self-defense while driving for Uber, took a lie detector test for the incident that happened in July .
- A heavy police presence marked Saturday's protest in downtown ... ›
- Austin protesters clash with police after Garrett Foster's death ... ›
- Man who shot Garrett Foster reveals identity - austonia ›
- Perry's attorney shared photos that he says show damage inflicted ... ›
- Perry was driving for Uber when he shot BLM protestor Foster ... ›