Tesla announced that it expects to debut an affordable, autonomous electric vehicle in three years' time during its inaugural Battery Day event.
"We're confident that long term we can design and manufacture a compelling $25,000 electric vehicle," CEO Elon Musk said to the drive-in audience of stockholders, many of whom honked upon hearing the news. "This has always been our dream from the beginning of the company."
Important note about Tesla Battery Day unveil tomorrow. This affects long-term production, especially Semi, Cybertr… https://t.co/FO4xHXAs9Q— Elon Musk (@Elon Musk)1600721812.0
This model will be enabled by a new "tabless" battery that the company announced it will begin producing in-house for its cost benefits and energy improvements. Musk and other Tesla executives said this new battery product will eventually halve the company's cost per kilowatt-hour, the unit of energy commonly used to measure the capacity of electric vehicle battery packs.
Tesla did not say where this new vehicle will be produced. However, earlier in the Battery Day event, Musk touted the benefits of the company's new and forthcoming factories, including Giga Texas, which is currently under construction in Southeast Travis County.
"For Giga Texas in Austin, even if we had exactly the same (vehicle) classes in California, it would still be advantageous to do it there because it's roughly two-thirds of the way across the U.S.," he said. "So in terms of delivering cars to the central U.S. and the East coast, it's just faster, costs less, and it fundamentally improves our economics."
- Elon Musk says $1.1 billion Tesla factory will be in Austin - austonia ›
- Work underway on Tesla's Austin Gigafactory site - austonia ›
- Travis County offers Tesla incentives for Austin Gigafactory - austonia ›
- Elon Musk seeks to fast-track $1.1 billion Tesla factory in Austin ... ›
The roar of Austin FC fans will be heard soon, as the newest Major League Soccer member looks to kick off their season in a brand new stadium in 2021.
- CapMetro targets Austin FC fans about Project Connect stop - austonia ›
- Austin FC's 2021 debut season shines as bright spot for fans ... ›
- Austin FC fans to host Matthew McConaughey in memers-only Q n A ... ›
- Austin FC installs stadium seats, stadium opening in spring - austonia ›
- austin-fc - austonia ›
- 1 1/2 oz Tito's Handmade Vodka
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz pomegranate juice
- 1 maraschino cherry
You've seen and heard messaging from the city, transit opponents, and the big money PACs. You've probably read Emma Freer's in-depth, multi-part series, a fact-based exploration of Project Connect—and the tax rate election proposal, known as Proposition A, that would fund it—from multiple perspectives.
Chances are, if you moved to Austin in the past two years, it was probably for a tech job.
- Bay area tech workers eye moving to Austin post-pandemic - austonia ›
- Google delays returning to Austin offices as COVID-19 spikes ... ›
- Tech company Auctane signs lease at new Austin development ... ›
With films like Coco streaming on Disney+ and Day of the Dead Barbies lining Walmart shelves, it is clear that the commercial aspects of Dia de los Muertos are alive and well.
(Chris Caselli/Mexic-Arte Museum)
- 9 Austin business serving Halloween-inspired treats - austonia ›
- CDC guidelines for holidays in 2020 - austonia ›
- Zilker Park Holiday Tree installed, park closes for trail of lights ... ›
Today is going to be a windy one, according to The National Weather Service, which predicted breezy conditions in the Austin area and South Central Texas.
- Saharan dust storm expected to reach Texas this week - austonia ›
- For lovers of all things autumn: - austonia ›
- Hurricane Hanna brings flooding, power outages to southern Texas ... ›
In round figures the 18 active candidates running for the five seats on the Austin City Council raised a quarter-million dollars just in the last few weeks alone and they spent more than a half-million dollars during the same period. Total fundraising to date is nearly $1.2 million.