100% Austin news, info, and entertainment, straight to your inbox at 6 a.m. every morning.
In five minutes, you're fully informed and ready to start another great day in our city.
A member of the Tesla family is making himself right at home ahead of the opening of the electric vehicle maker's newest $1.1 billion Gigafactory in southeast Travis County.
On a 2.5-acre plot of land with a pool, the home has five bedrooms, five and a half bathrooms in over 5,000 square feet. Business Insider reports Kirkhorn paid less for the home than originally listed on realtor.com.
Kirkhorn has been the Tesla CFO for just over two years and has worked with the company for almost eight years.
From California to Texas, the financial executive follows Musk and other tech industry professionals gravitating to the lone star state and capital city.
Musk officially has planted roots for four of his companies in Austin, where he lives: Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company and Neuralink.
- Tesla and Space X CEO Elon Musk is moving to Austin, Texas ... ›
- Bay area tech workers eye moving to Austin post-pandemic - austonia ›
- Work underway on Tesla's Austin Gigafactory site - austonia ›
- Tesla execs drive Austin's Barton Hills housing boom - austonia ›
- Elon Musk seeks to fast-track $1.1 billion Tesla factory in Austin ... ›
- 1 1/2 oz of hibiscus-infused Tito's Handmade Vodka
- 2 oz sparkling water
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1 tsp allspice dram
A week after Texas added two congressional seats and California lost one, state officials reported a population decline in 2020 for the first time in the Golden State's history.
California fell by over 182,000 people from January 2020 to January 2021, dropping almost 0.5% to cap out at around 39.5 million people. It is still the nation's most populous state.
For over thirty years, California has seen more people leave than move in from other states, state officials said, with 6.1 million people moving out and 4.9 million coming in last year. Immigration and births kept California growing, but the state saw a shrink in international migration in 2020 due to COVID and the White House's hold on visas.
Of the steady flow of ex-Californians moving to other states, more are moving to Texas than any other state. Many are relocating to Austin, which has been labeled a "little California" by billionaire resident Elon Musk and continues to grow astronomically.
Meanwhile, California cities including Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose and San Francisco saw a population decline.
With immigration and state migration on the decline, the Golden State was also hit with a spike in deaths- 51,000 people died from COVID in 2020, and all but seven of the state's counties saw death rates higher than the three-year average.
Still, the California Department of Finance said a "slightly positive annual growth" can be expected next year as the state recovers from COVID deaths and political repercussions.
- 2020 Census marks 10 years of most rapid growth for Austin - austonia ›
- Joah Spearman responds to a California's man hate of Austin ... ›
- Little California: Techsodus transplants love Austin, but does the city ... ›
- Celebrities who moved to austin, texas in 2020, and those to move ... ›
- California tech employees move to austin for business and way of ... ›
- California man warns against moving to Austin in Op-Ed - austonia ›
- Migration insights of Austin, who is moving to the city and who is ... ›
- Tesla's Elon Musk becomes 3rd richest person in the world - austonia ›
- Californian Texodus is affecting Texas on a national political scale ... ›
- Texas will gain two congressional seats after 2020 census - austonia ›