The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission on Wednesday clarified its guidelines after what the agency said was a misunderstanding about whether breweries could reopen their patios, a spokesperson told KXAN.
As a result, some local breweries—including St. Elmo in South Austin—shut down their patios for a second time after a brief period of reopening.
The clarification arrived less than a week after the TABC announced certain retailers could allow outdoor seating, which some local breweries took to include them. The TABC spokesperson told KXAN that the rule change only included those that make less than 51% of their revenue from alcohol sales.
The Texas Craft Brewers Guild tweeted on Thursday that the decision is "just the latest lack of leadership" from the TABC and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.
This is just the latest lack of leadership. Two out of every three Texas craft breweries stand to permanently close… https://t.co/ej88uJtFib— Texas Craft Brewers Guild (@Texas Craft Brewers Guild)1595514962.0
A survey conducted by the guild earlier this month found that one-third of Texas craft breweries believe they will have to close permanently in the next few months if shutdown orders do not change. Another third believe they won't last until the end of the year given the current conditions.
- Risk of dine-in too high for some: 'Who the hell wants to close their ... ›
- Patios may be 'the only game in town this summer' for Austin ... ›
- Austin black-owned restaurants see support after protests - austonia ›
A second, stronger cold front is expected to hit tonight—bringing chilly weather through at least the rest of the week and rainy weather through Wednesday.
- Flash flood warning for Austin through midday Friday - austonia ›
- austin, texas haze due to cool front coming in - austonia ›
- Austin may see fall weather, cold front in next few days - austonia ›
Sen. Kamala Harris, Democratic vice presidential candidate, will make a campaign stop in Texas on Friday—the last day of early voting in the state—according to an email sent to Democratic lawmakers.
- election-2020 - austonia ›
- Pence denies voter suppression during debate after Abbott limits ... ›
- Kamala Harris and Meghan Markle headline blockbuster final day of ... ›
As fall progresses, Texas public school superintendents are realizing that virtual instruction simply is not working for thousands of students across the state.
The Travis Central Appraisal District has identified a new market data source that will allow it to reappraise residential properties in 2021 after a legal dispute with the Austin Board of Realtors prevented the district from doing so this year.
- City of Austin home sales down 33% in April, but prices rise sharply ... ›
- Appraisal review board plans for pandemic-era hearings - austonia ›
- Coronavirus pushes TCAD online as appraisal district prepares for ... ›
Austin's self-made millionaire Kendra Scott turned the city skyline yellow this week in celebration of her "Shark Tank" debut.
- Austin Kendra Scott selling earrings designed by UT students ... ›
- Kendra Scott to begin teaching at the University of Texas soon ... ›
- Local billionaire Kendra Scott takes seat on ABC Shark Tank ... ›
43% of registered voters have cast their ballots in Travis County—with eight days of early voting to go
More than 43% of registered Travis County residents voted early in person or had their mail-in ballots received between Oct. 13 and Thursday, with eight more days to go before the early voting period ends on Oct. 30.
- Travis County sees near-record turnout on first day of early voting ... ›
- Austin businesses reward you for voting early in Travis County ... ›
- Where to vote early in Travis County in the 2020 election - austonia ›
- Travis County's early voting polling places ranked by turnout - austonia ›
- Travis County sees high turnout on first day of early voting - austonia ›
Saturday, the Texas Longhorns will face one of its oldest rivals—Baylor—in a matchup that has all the makings of a do-or-die game for the Longhorn season.
- Texas Longhorns jump into AP's top 10 after Saturday win - austonia ›
- Excitement, tensions build as Austin expects 18k fans at first Texas ... ›