As COVID-19 cases continue to hit all-time highs, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has paused and taken a step back on the reopening of the Texas economy.
Video by Ethan Hunt
- Still on for July 4 weekend: Austin's Vanilla Ice concert - austonia ›
- Abbott: 'The worst is yet to come' in Texas COVID surge - austonia ›
- Abbott on COVID: 'The last step that would ever be taken is to lock Texans back down' - austonia ›
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announces loosening of COVID restrictions - austonia ›
Travis County's COVID-19 operations are playing catch-up on a week's worth of canceled vaccine appointments.
Austin Public Health's vaccine and testing appointments were halted for over 7 days due to the historic winter storm that swept over Texas. By the time operations resumed on Sunday, APH had 7,000 first doses and 7,500 second doses unused from the week of Feb. 7 as well as 12,000 second doses from Feb. 14 to catch up on; 3,300 patients had appointments canceled starting Feb. 13.
Austin Water lifted the boil water notice for all customers midday Tuesday. The local utility submitted water quality testing to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, which confirmed that tap water meets all regulatory standards and is safe for consumption.
Austin Water previously lifted the notice for four of its nine zones on Monday. The notice went into effect on Wednesday evening after a power outage at the Ullrich Water Plant and low pressure system-wide occurred after a series of historic winter storms swept over Texas.
Nearly a year into the COVID-19 pandemic and eleven weeks into the vaccine rollout, Travis County is getting its first mass drive-thru vaccine event.
Travis County commissioners voted unanimously to set up the operation this weekend—which will focus on CommUnityCare's existing patient network, which is largely uninsured or underinsured, as well as regional school district staff who qualify as members of the 1B group—at their meeting on Tuesday. The effort is a collaboration between four Central Texas counties, including Bastrop, Caldwell and Hays.
- Vaccine week 11: 31,250 doses headed to Austin, delayed ... ›
- Austin healthcare offering COVID-19 vaccine waitlists - austonia ›
- Everything we know about Austin's COVID vaccine rollout - austonia ›
- Austin Public Health prepares for COVID vaccine distribution ... ›